PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good campaign setting?

Carl Wheezer
2017-12-09, 01:52 AM
Right now I'm just curious what people think and wanted some critique. I am basically running the game as if the players are demigods searching for a McGuffin to become full fledged gods. I did this mostly because it makes no sense how amazing the heroes are compared to regular people.

I wanted a Jason and the Argonauts sort of feel and they will have all sorts of crazy side adventures. By giving my players a clear motivation will they be disinclined to go on side quests? are there other flaws I have to worry about.

In case you hadn't noticed this is going to be my first time DMing and I want to make a good impression. So I'm just curious what others think.

Guinea_Pig
2017-12-09, 01:56 AM
Right now I'm just curious what people think and wanted some critique. I am basically running the game as if the players are demigods searching for a McGuffin to become full fledged gods. I did this mostly because it makes no sense how amazing the heroes are compared to regular people.

I wanted a Jason and the Argonauts sort of feel and they will have all sorts of crazy side adventures. By giving my players a clear motivation will they be disinclined to go on side quests? are there other flaws I have to worry about.

In case you hadn't noticed this is going to be my first time DMing and I want to make a good impression. So I'm just curious what others think.

Have the players played D&D before? Having the PCs play as demigods might be challenging for a first time DM. Players generally surprise you with their actions/decisions, and that would be an especially significant issue if the players are playing demigods. But if you know your players and think you'll be able to handle things, then go for it!

Kane0
2017-12-09, 01:57 AM
Mmmyep, checks out.

For first time DMing best to start small and work your way up. String together a couple of one shots and slowly expand into mini-adventures then a full fledged campaign as you get more experience under your belt.

Hyde
2017-12-09, 02:01 AM
Are you going to go fairly greco-roman inspired? that would be interesting. A lot of work if you wanted to emulate the bronze age.

On its face, It has potential. I think level 1 would be a fairly disappointing start for "demigods", so you may want to look at a 3rd-5th level start. It might be a bit intimidating for new players, though. If your players aren't brand new, they might have some dissonance at their characters being "demigods" and then just rolling the usual adventurers.

My solutions for that aren't really something I would recommend attempting as a novice DM.

In short, as long as everyone's on board with it, it sounds pretty great.

Duskanor
2017-12-09, 02:08 AM
It really depends on how experienced the players are and how experienced of a DM you are.

Have you and the players played before and are you familiar with the rules + mechanics of the game?

...Or are you new to Dungeon Mastering & the players are new? If that's the case i'd start at a low level and work up like the one dude said

My DM was new to running a game so he started us at level 2 and he had no problems.

DKing9114
2017-12-09, 02:48 AM
The premise that the characters are demigods trying to become full gods could make divine casters a little awkward-that is, unless you worked that into the backstory/mythos, which would be pretty cool. Maybe Clerics are borrowing Dad's power until they can become allied gods, or divine caster demigods are actually casting off of their own potential.

As has been mentioned, I would recommend either starting a few levels ahead, or making it clear to the players that while they are demigods, that just explains how exp functions-they start at level one because they've never faced/overcome a threat that brings out their true power.

As to your concern about the PCs not biting on sidequest plot hooks, your overarching goal doesn't sound so time sensitive/laser focused that it is likely to occupy all of their attention. If you're concerned, either hint that using the McGuffin requires a thoroughly seasoned adventurer with a hundred tales to his name, or give them the sense that, "hey, you should enjoy your semi-mortal life while you still have it."

Beyond that, I'd suggest you start fairly episodic. Give the PCs a direction to travel in to get to the wise sage/ancient ruins/capital city/wherever to pick up the McGuffin's trail, then give them things to do along the way. A merchant is willing to take them to the next town, but only if they agree to protect him from bandits. The party stops at the inn, where they learn that the locals are hearing strange noises coming from the cemetery at night. This lets you feel out the players and characters to ensure that your overarching plot and tone match what they are interested in.

Unoriginal
2017-12-09, 05:59 AM
I'm not sure if it's me playing captain obvious or not, but in doubt, I have to point out: the D&D demigods who are sometime mentioned in the books aren't just mortal half-gods like some of the Greek heroes. D&D demigods are deities or near-deities on their own right, they're just lower on the power totem pole than the regular gods.

So maybe make it clears with your players what you mean by demigod, so that no one is confused reading the books.

The Shadowdove
2017-12-09, 07:18 AM
The word demigod might throw up a few too many red flags. It's a very strong word, it has Chuck Norris written all over it.

Perhaps use the same theme but start smaller.

As in, the players all receive some sort of ominous or prophetic vision/message. Something they aren't sure they actually heard at first, but it gradually becomes more insistent and reoccurring. Until they have no way to deny that they hear it.

It bespeaks of a great evil that's coming. "You have the blood of X within you, find others who have seen the end. Only you can stop it."

Maybe have the visions or voices get stronger. Show apocalyptic images in them with an obscured foe that becomes gradually larger or more clear as they get closer to the items.

This approach doesn't imply godhood right away, but let's them feel like they have a common enemy and as if they're the only ones who can use these mcguffins due to their heritage.

Maybe later work in the demigod bit if you like, but being more distantly related and having a sliver of that power makes the world feel more threatening. As if they can't rely on these deities as a safety net. Keep the deities distant but make them seem real enough to believe they're in need.

Throne12
2017-12-09, 08:01 AM
I think you should hold up on running that game. Being a new DM there is a lot you need to learn. And you can only lean them throught time and experience. First, second, and third campaigns will never be what you Invision. I Would advise that you run pre made Modules. Run one shots in a well known world. Start off with the party just joining a Adventurer's Guild and have quests they can pick off the quest board to go on.

My point is start off with things that are easy or pre made. Just untell you find your DMing style and are Comfortable running. I wished some told me this when I started DMing.

JackPhoenix
2017-12-09, 08:05 AM
No. It is a good *idea for a game*, but I don't see anything about the setting. Good or otherwise.

Carl Wheezer
2017-12-09, 04:59 PM
Are you going to go fairly Greco-roman inspired? that would be interesting. A lot of work if you wanted to emulate the bronze age.

On its face, It has potential. I think level 1 would be a fairly disappointing start for "demigods", so you may want to look at a 3rd-5th level start. It might be a bit intimidating for new players, though. If your players aren't brand new, they might have some dissonance at their characters being "demigods" and then just rolling the usual adventurers.

My solutions for that aren't really something I would recommend attempting as a novice DM.

In short, as long as everyone's on board with it, it sounds pretty great.

Yeah, i have played d&d for about 4 years now this is just my first excursion into DMing and wanted some advice. They will be starting off at 5th level (which for regular people is about peak human performance) and working up from there. most of my players are not new to d&d either most have been playing longer than me but their campaigns tend to peter out something which I have found kind of annoying.

Carl Wheezer
2017-12-09, 05:03 PM
The premise that the characters are demigods trying to become full gods could make divine casters a little awkward-that is unless you worked that into the backstory/mythos, which would be pretty cool. Maybe Clerics are borrowing Dad's power until they can become allied gods, or divine caster demigods are actually casting off of their own potential.

As has been mentioned, I would recommend either starting a few levels ahead, or making it clear to the players that while they are demigods, that just explains how exp functions-they start at level one because they've never faced/overcome a threat that brings out their true power.

As to your concern about the PCs not biting on sidequest plot hooks, your overarching goal doesn't sound so time sensitive/laser focused that it is likely to occupy all of their attention. If you're concerned, either hint that using the McGuffin requires a thoroughly seasoned adventurer with a hundred tales to his name, or give them the sense that, "hey, you should enjoy your semi-mortal life while you still have it."

Beyond that, I'd suggest you start fairly episodic. Give the PCs a direction to travel in to get to the wise sage/ancient ruins/capital city/wherever to pick up the McGuffin's trail, then give them things to do along the way. A merchant is willing to take them to the next town, but only if they agree to protect him from bandits. The party stops at the inn, where they learn that the locals are hearing strange noises coming from the cemetery at night. This lets you feel out the players and characters to ensure that your overarching plot and tone match what they are interested in.

I am having divine casters work kind of like arcane casters they all pull energy from other planes to fuel their magic. and while it seems weird for a cleric to be a god in their own right they mostly are standing for a philosophy and are aligned with beings that also stand for that philosophy.

jojo
2017-12-09, 05:38 PM
Yeah, i have played d&d for about 4 years now this is just my first excursion into DMing and wanted some advice. They will be starting off at 5th level (which for regular people is about peak human performance) and working up from there. most of my players are not new to d&d either most have been playing longer than me but their campaigns tend to peter out something which I have found kind of annoying.

Your idea sounds very engaging. But also, this is true:

No. It is a good *idea for a game*, but I don't see anything about the setting. Good or otherwise.

In my experience Adventure Modules are the best place to start as a first time DM for a lot of reasons.

If you choose to go with your own material though some of the things to watch out for/be aware of are:

1. Your players are actively going to try to re-shape your world in their own image. This can be tough for DMs on a lot of levels, try not to take on an adversarial role and pit yourself against your players as a result. Definitely try to avoid punishing them.
2. Listen to them whenever possible. If they aren't having fun you'll know. If your players argue about the rules or your rulings they may or may not have valid points, be open-minded but a good rule of thumb is that disagreements that slow or disrupt the game are probably just that. Disruptive. Trust your players to police that sort of behavior among themselves.
3. If your players confront you about your behavior or how you run the game they DEFINITELY have a point, be willing to listen and grow if needed.
4. Make sure you keep good notes that accurately record whatever information you put out during each session. If you don't eventually you're going to contradict yourself in session which can have serious consequences to the campaign.
5. However much background information you have written up, it's not enough. This is another reason that it's important to keep good notes, you will find yourself making things up on the fly.
6. Try to avoid force-feeding information to the players. They'll ask for plenty if you let them and they'll have more fun for having done so themselves.
7. Consider limiting options such as multi-classing, available races and additional source books. This will limit the amount of information you have to worry about which lets you better prepare and in turn increases the chances of success. As long as you're up front about what is and isn't playable from the start players will usually be fine with it.

I could go on all day but those are the big points. Good Luck!

mephnick
2017-12-09, 05:58 PM
1. Your players are actively going to try to re-shape your world in their own image. This can be tough for DMs on a lot of levels, try not to take on an adversarial role and pit yourself against your players as a result. Definitely try to avoid punishing them

But also don't be afraid to punish them. If they do something that should get them all killed (like attacking a monarch in plain sight of his guards) KILL them. Also say "No" if needed. Let them control their actions but you control the response of the world. Don't let them run roughshod over your setting just because some hippies on the internet always told you to say "Yes".