PDA

View Full Version : Query: Stabilization and Death Saves.

prototype00
2017-12-09, 06:53 AM
So a question I was wondering for my Darkness Melee Hexblade. I realised that with a healer’s kit and the ability to avoid all opportunity attacks, he could be a pretty decent emergency first responder (I’ve noticed that the DMs I play with tend to have a disconcerting liking for whacking unconscious characters).

Does getting stabilised by a Healer’s Kit remove all failed death saves up to that point by RAW? If so, that would be great for his utility.

Lombra
2017-12-09, 07:03 AM
So a question I was wondering for my Darkness Melee Hexblade. I realised that with a healer’s kit and the ability to avoid all opportunity attacks, he could be a pretty decent emergency first responder (I’ve noticed that the DMs I play with tend to have a disconcerting liking for whacking unconscious characters).

Does getting stabilised by a Healer’s Kit remove all failed death saves up to that point by RAW? If so, that would be great for his utility.

Death saves reset after you get stabilized or gain HPs (p. 197 PHB)

prototype00
2017-12-09, 07:19 AM
Death saves reset after you get stabilized or gain HPs (p. 197 PHB)

Ah, very good. Got to get me a healer's kit then.

prototype00

pdegan2814
2017-12-09, 09:29 AM
Ah, very good. Got to get me a healer's kit then.

prototype00

If plan on playing that role and you have room for it in your build, consider taking the Healer feat. That way when you stabilize, they also heal 1 HP and thus regain consciousness. They're still weak AF, but they're back in the turn order and can drink a healing potion, cast Cure Wounds on themselves, or even just run away. Plus you'll be able to offer some modest after-combat healing that will save your magical healers some spell slots. Healer's Kits aren't terribly expensive, especially once you hit the middle levels. Our Cleric in my PotA campaign saved quite a few spells by taking the feat.