PDA

View Full Version : Druid Builds 3.5

Duskanor
2017-12-09, 07:59 AM
So recently me and my group started a new campaign and I decided to make an Elf Druid/Ranger. Right now were a few sessions in and i'm 5th level Druid & 1st level Ranger so i'm wondering what path i should take with this. I was thinking about Planar Shepherd but I have none of the books about the planes and I don't wanna be to OP and ruin the fun.

I'm just looking for some ideas on what direction I should take so anything would help me out right now:smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile:

noob
2017-12-09, 08:02 AM
You want your character to do what?
Finding your objectives might help.
Because nearly always when someone wants to play a druid/ranger he is better off playing straight Druid.(unless you want to do something extremely specific like intentionally making a druid that is less useful in all the situations ever than a straight druid)

Eldariel
2017-12-09, 09:09 AM
Ranger is like Druid lite so there's little you couldn't do as a Druid that you could do as a Ranger. But yeah, decide what you want to do and roll with it.

Nifft
2017-12-09, 12:04 PM
Druid is huge and complex (and awesome).

Here's a comprehensive guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook

Easy advice: drop the level of Ranger, just be a Druid 6 going for Druid 20. That level of Ranger buys you nothing but regret.

Endarire
2017-12-09, 05:04 PM
The main (and maybe only) reason to go Ranger1 first is for the Dungeonscape ACF letting you trade your Track feat for Trapfinding to be the party trapper.

Nifft
2017-12-09, 05:27 PM
The main (and maybe only) reason to go Ranger1 first is for the Dungeonscape ACF letting you trade your Track feat for Trapfinding to be the party trapper.

That is legitimate utility.

IMHO a stronger path to that utility would be Scout 1 / Druid 19 and the Swift Avenger feat from Dragon Magazine (to stack Druid levels for Skirmish damage & AC bonus), but not every table allows Dragon Magazine. If you can swing it, you get to be a Trapfinder and also you get bonus damage when you move, which has great synergy with big-cat five-attack Pounce.

DEMON
2017-12-10, 03:15 PM
Ranger is like Druid lite so there's little you couldn't do as a Druid that you could do as a Ranger. But yeah, decide what you want to do and roll with it.

nearly always when someone wants to play a druid/ranger he is better off playing straight Druid.(unless you want to do something extremely specific like intentionally making a druid that is less useful in all the situations ever than a straight druid)

I don't wanna be to OP and ruin the fun.

Looking at this from the other side, there's little a Ranger can't do much worse than a Druid, while still retaining the flavor - summoning, other spellcasting, animal companion, wild shape... Ranger can do all of it, but you'll never feel like overshadowing your group mates.

Zweisteine
2017-12-10, 03:19 PM
Looking at this from the other side, there's little a Ranger can't do much worse than a Druid, while still retaining the flavor - summoning, other spellcasting, animal companion, wild shape... Ranger can do all of it, but you'll never feel like overshadowing your group mates.
I think that only becomes a problem if you let it. A support-focused Druid won't be stepping on anyone's toes.

noob
2017-12-10, 03:23 PM

Which is why I had the addendum: unless you want to do something extremely specific like intentionally making a druid that is less useful in all the situations ever than a straight druid

Duskanor
2017-12-14, 11:56 AM
Well I can't take the level of Ranger back so i'm just going to keep going Druid unless I find a better way to go about it. Somebody also told me about the feat Woodland Archer and it seems pretty badass so i'm going to take that eventually

Also I was wondering if you can use a Greatbow while mounted on a Giant Owl, because I recently bought a +1 Composite Greatbow and I may re-sell it if I can't use it mounted.

Endarire
2017-12-15, 05:42 PM
I checked and found "Dragon 357" has the feat Swift Avenger, but don't know which page yet. (It was an online reference that said the feat was in that issue.)

KillingAScarab
2017-12-16, 09:37 AM
Well I can't take the level of Ranger back so i'm just going to keep going Druid unless I find a better way to go about it. Somebody also told me about the feat Woodland Archer and it seems pretty badass so i'm going to take that eventuallyWorry about building the character you want to play, not what others consider optimal. Ranger still offers combat style bonus feats which circumvent prerequisites. However, the point blank shot feat is one you will still need before you can take woodland archer, so I suggest the following. If you can take the zen archery feat, then you can still use ranger to bypass dexterity requirements. If you can afford to put more into wisdom, you'll keep your spellecasting DCs higher and eventually get some bonus spells. Ranger also offers two more skill points per level than druid. You could spend those on some wisdom-based skills like listen and spot.

Also I was wondering if you can use a Greatbow while mounted on a Giant Owl, because I recently bought a +1 Composite Greatbow and I may re-sell it if I can't use it mounted.According to Complete Warrior, even a composite version of a greatbow may not be used while mounted. A composite longbow may be.