PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Flurry of Blows Replacement

ViperMagnum357
2017-12-09, 10:51 AM
I am kicking around a monk concept, and am looking for a replacement for Flurry of Blows; but the only two ACFs I have found are Decisive Strike from PHBII and the Kalashtar Monk substitution level with Psychic Insight, neither of which interest me. Are there any other ACFs in 1st party that can replace Flurry, or is that it?

tstewt1921
2017-12-09, 11:17 AM
I don't know about replacing it but you can give it a little bit of flavor by taking a couple feats that allow you to use different weapons.

Serpent Strike: EB p.60: Perform Flurry with a long spear.
Pole Fighting: DR 331: Perform Flurry with a pole arm. (Personal Favorite)
Double Steel Strike: EB p.52: Perform Flurry with a two-bladed sword.
Whirling Steel Strike: EB p.62: Perform Flurry with a long sword.

Zaq
2017-12-09, 11:49 AM
What parts of Flurry of Blows do you dislike in particular? I can't think offhand of too many (or, right now, any) other first-party material that trades it out, but if we know what you're trying to do, we might be able to find/make a homebrew/PF/etc. replacement that would seem reasonable.

ViperMagnum357
2017-12-09, 12:10 PM
What parts of Flurry of Blows do you dislike in particular? I can't think offhand of too many (or, right now, any) other first-party material that trades it out, but if we know what you're trying to do, we might be able to find/make a homebrew/PF/etc. replacement that would seem reasonable.

I was kicking around a TWF build with gauntlets, which means I would never use Flurry. I was also thinking martial gestalt without Blade Magic, so the Psionics are unappetizing. That leaves Decisive Strike, which I think is something I would use only occasionally, so I was wondering if there was something else out there-a special ability or maybe a feat or 2 I could trade Flurry in for.

tstewt1921
2017-12-09, 12:18 PM
I was kicking around a TWF build with gauntlets, which means I would never use Flurry.

Just play a Fighter and take Improved Unarmed Strike as a feat then all your two weapon fighting feats and you're set.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-09, 12:23 PM
Halfling Monks get a little bit Skirmish instead, and Raging Monk from Dragon 310 trades Flurry and a few other things for Rage and improvements. Along with Decisive Strike and the Kalashar sub levels already mentioned, I think that's everything.

Deophaun
2017-12-09, 02:27 PM
I was kicking around a TWF build with gauntlets, which means I would never use Flurry.
If you're willing to use spiked gauntlets instead, you can take Unorthodox Flurry (Dragon Compendium).

ViperMagnum357
2017-12-09, 02:30 PM
Halfling Monks get a little bit Skirmish instead, and Raging Monk from Dragon 310 trades Flurry and a few other things for Rage and improvements. Along with Decisive Strike and the Kalashar sub levels already mentioned, I think that's everything.

Thanks, I think I will go with Raging Monk variant. Where is the halfling Monk from, BTW?

Caelestion
2017-12-09, 02:57 PM
For what it's worth, the Pathfinder Unchained Monk replaces the "flurry of misses" with Good BAB and can make one extra attack at 1st and 11th when making a full attack with their unarmed strike (or monk weapons).

Bronk
2017-12-09, 03:33 PM
There's also the Flailing Strike of the Chaos Monk from Dragon 335.