PDA

View Full Version : Summoning and Chemical Reaction Help

Cestes
2017-12-09, 02:23 PM
Would a chemical reaction of (summoned or magically created) Sodium BiCarbonate {NaHCO3} and (Natural) Hydrochloric Acid {HCl} (Which produces NaCl, H2O, and CO2), revert back into its unreacted state when the Sodium BiCarbonate is sent back to wherever it came from?

Or if you used minor creation to summon food, would the nourishment stay with your body even after the food discorperated

Or if you neutralized Acid with (Summoned) Baking Soda would the Acid stay neutralized after the Baking Soda "unsummoned"

TeChameleon
2017-12-09, 04:14 PM
Would a chemical reaction of (summoned or magically created) Sodium BiCarbonate {NaHCO3} and (Natural) Hydrochloric Acid {HCl} (Which produces NaCl, H2O, and CO2), revert back into its unreacted state when the Sodium BiCarbonate is sent back to wherever it came from?
This is the kind of question that it's just not a great idea to think to o hard about, unless you want to get into figuring out exactly how magic interacts with the strong nuclear force. If I was DMing, I'd rule that it wouldn't revert, because then you end up with things like getting a puff of oxygen and a noticeable drop in temperature when a summoned log that had been burned de-summons. It would just get weird.

Or if you used minor creation to summon food, would the nourishment stay with your body even after the food discorperated
Yes- the Create Food and Drink spell specifies that only the un-eaten food discorporates- I'd assume that it would be the same with any other spell-created food.

Or if you neutralized Acid with (Summoned) Baking Soda would the Acid stay neutralized after the Baking Soda "unsummoned"
This is the same question as the first one, rephrased very slightly :smallconfused:

JNAProductions
2017-12-09, 04:46 PM
Those aren't real elements. Everyone knows there are only four real elements-earth, air, fire, and water.

In all seriousness, don't try TOO HARD to apply real-world physics to D&D worlds.

Mastikator
2017-12-10, 09:56 AM
That's entirely up to the DM to decide.

Calen
2017-12-10, 11:52 AM

If it is not an illusion, and therefore not edible, people are able to live on the food indefinitely. Therefore it has nourishment. Ergo the rest of your example would have the results of the interaction be persistent in the world.

caden_varn
2017-12-11, 06:40 AM
If a summoned viper bites me, the poison would not magically disappear from my system when the viper de-summons, so I'd assume reacted chemicals would stay reacted.

Geddy2112
2017-12-11, 09:54 AM

Because the second thing is true-created food and water provides real nourishment if it is created. If this were not true, magical food and water would never nourish you and when the spell expired people would drop dead(or at least become very sick). I would guess that anything that is created or summoned would react and be used up. Once created, these things are real, and perhaps mundane depending on the spell.

This is of course system and DM dependent.