PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Umbral Sight & Advantage on Attack Rolls

utopus
2017-12-09, 02:51 PM
If you're in darkness as a gloom stalker ranger, does Umbral Sight give you advantage on attack rolls against creatures that would normally rely on darkvision to see you?

A simple google search hasn't found anything specifically pertaining to this interaction. I'd like to read your sentiments on this topic.

Finney
2017-12-09, 06:37 PM
If you're in darkness as a gloom stalker ranger, does Umbral Sight give you advantage on attack rolls against creatures that would normally rely on darkvision to see you?

A simple google search hasn't found anything specifically pertaining to this interaction. I'd like to read your sentiments on this topic.

If the creature's only means to see the Gloom Stalker is darkvision and the area is dark (making it heavily obscured) - they effectively suffer from the blinded condition as it relates to the Gloom Stalker. The Gloom Stalker would have advantage on his attacks against the creature and it would have disadvantage on its attacks against him.

That's how I see it - pun intended. :smallcool:

pdegan2814
2017-12-09, 08:28 PM
Basically, yes. If the only way the enemy is able to ascertain your location is "because Darkvision", then you are effectively invisible to them. If they also have Blindsight and you're within its range, for example, then for combat purposes they can "see" you. If you are affected by a spell or effect that says you can't benefit from being invisible, then I'm assuming the enemy suffers no disadvantage, like if you got lit up with Faerie Fire.

Malifice
2017-12-09, 10:41 PM

You have the invisible condition relative to the creature with darkvision.

Until the ccreature with darkvision turns on the lights that is.