PDA

View Full Version : Dream Druid magic item selection?

Protato
2017-12-09, 03:19 PM
I'm starting a game at Level 10 and have decided to go Dream Druid named Silas in a party with a homebrew Chronomancer (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzArt9stiOmmdmJqVkRmaUFDSFk/view) and a GOO-Tomelock, although more players might also get recruited. My starting build, using both ASIs, is going to be Str 12, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 20, Chr 10. I might take Resilient Con at L12. Race is homebrew, a Large-size dog person with +2 Str and +1 Dex, 35ft. movement, and has advantage on perception checks on smelling things. No darkvision. Background is homebrew I came up with and called Healer and gives Medicine and Survival, and the class gives Arcana and Perception. The background feature lets you tell who is sick and injured immediately, including magical diseases and injuries, even if you don't yet know how to treat them. My Cantrips are Guidance, Produce Flame, Druidcraft, and Mending. We will be using maps and keeping track of food and water but not weight. Homebrew with approval, UA, and splats are allowed

Silas' backstory is that he once had dreams telling him to reach the oracle in the city of Warmwater, who would in turn tell him how to fight against coming disasters and diseases. To this end, he was granted powers by whichever party sent the dreams, letting him heal others magically and command powerful natural forces. For the past few years, Silas has been travelling towards destiny, in hopes that he can find a way to make the world just a bit better.

The setting is in Liora, a homebrew setting full of magic and wonderment, and is a dimension all in itself. The central conceit of the game is every session or two is episodic, with the party going from place to place and acting as central figures in a myth or legend in Lioran history or culture. For example, my character might be used for the "don't teach a book by its cover" story at some point, owing to him being a great magician who uses his powers to help others but is a ten foot tall dog person that doesn't get on too well with others. We begin in the desert city of Warmwater, built around an oasis. I don't know too much else to say at the moment, but some of the major players are Ged-Med-Gal and Jason. GMG is an eldritch god that toys with mortals, and claims to be benevolent in spite of directly harming others. Jason is a powerful and immortal wizard that invented a magical, never-breaking glass, which led to the creation of a place known as the Glass City.

Finally, with background out of the way, let's move onto the actual topic of the thread. The GM is giving us a magic item and I don't know what to get. The most obvious solution is a Scimitar of Speed but that competes with my bonus action, and I don't hope to be in melee, even if the Large size race gives an extra damage die on weapons. I'm not too concerned with being optimized per se, but I'm looking for something that can either shore up a build weakness (lacking in non-concentration damage outside of Produce Flame and Erupting Earth) or make me able to be amazing at something I'm already good at (i.e I can heal with spells and class features, have utility with wildshape, make spells last awhile with concentration).

Unoriginal
2017-12-09, 04:19 PM
Wouldn't you be better off with some kind of attack spell wand/staff/rod?

Protato
2017-12-09, 04:31 PM
Wouldn't you be better off with some kind of attack spell wand/staff/rod?

Probably but I don't know which one is good to use.

Unoriginal
2017-12-09, 04:42 PM
Probably but I don't know which one is good to use.

Which one do you find the most awesome?

Protato
2017-12-09, 04:50 PM
Which one do you find the most awesome?

Not sure. Scorching Ray and Fireball are favorites though. I'm also curious about Wondrous Items and non-attack magic items. Which of those might be good? I was looking at the Tome of Understanding to get 22 Wisdom and the Decanter of Endless Water because it would be valuable in the desert or to cause flooding. There's also the Unmovable Rod, but I don't know how creative I am to use something like that.