PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spell Like Abilities that deal damage...

Pleh
2017-12-09, 08:53 PM
... BESIDES Eldritch Blast.

Long and the short, my DM is wanting to do a special variant on the Gestalt rules. Each PC has a "soulmate" cohortish type partner whose soul halfway merges with the PC's. They're able to access each other's abilities (as gestalt), but each character must function and make sense as separate entities.

For example: I'm playing a 6th level Blastlock. So my feats are geared towards qualifying for Hellfire Warlock and optimizing Eldritch Blast: Arcane Mastery, Mortalbane, Maximize Spell Like Ability (Eldritch Blast).

Now, because of how specialized my 6th level feat is, my DM wants to rule that my soulmate only needs to have a similar Spell Like Ability of their own that they use their version of the feat for (my soulmate and I don't get to share Spell Like Abilities, just the benefits of the feat), but I'm having trouble finding definitive Spell Like Abilities that have variable components (such as dealing damage).

At first I thought Dragonfire Adept made a lot of sense, but their Breath Weapon is (Su) rather than (Sp) and their Invocations (which are SLAs) don't seem to have a whole lot of variable effects (at the 6th level "Least" or "Lesser" categories).

There was a GitP thread somewhere with various means of acquiring SLAs, but again, most of them didn't seem to be damage dealers (besides Eldritch Blast).

TL;DR: I need an SLA that isn't Eldritch Blast that qualifies for Mortalbane and Maximize Spell Like Ability at 6th level.

Am I missing something, or am I just SOL?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-09, 09:02 PM
Truenamer has damaging SLAs, albiet terrible ones; Factotum might count, too.

Necroticplague
2017-12-09, 11:47 PM
Some of the other warlock invocations are also damaging SLAs.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-09, 11:51 PM
Isn't there a way to get at-will Inflict spells via feat?

Nifft
2017-12-09, 11:54 PM
Dragonmarks grant spell-like abilities; a class which gives you more Dragonmark uses is Dragonmark Heir.

Or you could go for Aberrant Dragonmarks and Child of Khyber (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20070416a)

Read about Dragonmarks here: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1072.0

ATHATH
2017-12-10, 04:10 AM
Isn't there a way to get at-will Inflict spells via feat?
Are you thinking about a dip into the Nosomatic Chirurgeon prestige class?

Shadowcaster mysteries might also work (at certain levels), due to the funky way that they function.

Zaq
2017-12-10, 11:40 AM
Factotums cast regular Wizard spells as SLAs, so darn near any Sor/Wiz spell below a certain level can be had as a SLA. (In a similar but much less accessible vein, Archmage.)

Grod mentioned Truenamers already, but I’ll second the motion. I agree with his assessment that their HP-damaging SLAs aren’t usually the best use of their actions, but they do exist.

This isn’t really what you asked for, but maybe go for a different flavor of Warlock? If you usually use ranged blast shapes, your cohort could rely on Eldritch Glaive or Eldritch Claws, for example, or vice versa. Or maybe they focus on the weird area-based blast shapes rather than the targeted blast shapes. If you don’t always lunge straight for the most optimized stuff (not that doing that is necessarily bad, mind you!), there are a handful of interesting ways to build a Warlock that doesn’t feel exactly like the Warlock next to them.