PDA

View Full Version : Succubus Paladin build. Advice?

Goladar
2017-12-09, 09:47 PM
Here she is

Renata (Formerly Ikarath)
Lawful Good Female Succubus(Appears Human) Paladin2 of Ilmater(ECL14)

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil)
Hit Dice: 6d8+2d10+32 (73(97.5) hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 50 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 31 (+2 Dex, +9 natural, +8 Armor, +2 Shield), touch 12, flat-footed 29
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+12
Attack: Claw +12 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Energy drain(DC26 Will for suggestion, DC26 Fort to remove negative level, spell-like abilities, summon demon(not active due to alignment change)
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron or good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 18, telepathy 100 ft., tongues, Aura of Good,
Saves: Fort +20(23), Ref +17, Will +17
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con 18(24), Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 30
Skills:(99+5sp) Bluff +11(20), Concentration +9(16), Diplomacy +11(22), Escape Artist +9(11), Hide +9(11), Intimidate +9(20), Knowledge (The Planes) +9(11), Listen +9(18), Move Silently +9(11), Search +9(11), Spot +9(18), Sleight of Hand 2.5(6.5), Skill Trick:Social Recovery(2sp)
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Ability Focus(Energy Drain)
Class Features:Lay on Hands(20hp/day), Divine Grace

Items:
Glammered Mithril Full Plate of Heavy Fortification 38.2k
Heavy Steel Shield .020k
Amulet of Health +6 36k
Handy Haversack 2k
Ring of Entropic Deflection 8k
Boots of striding and springing 5.5k
Brooch of Shielding 1.5k
Plane Shift item 1/day 16k

In my head she's almost entirely a face/spy for the party(Barb, Warlock, Cleric, Druid, Rogue, Warmage, all low-optimization). Anything I'm missing, maybe a feat or item, that will increase my PCs effectiveness?

Sources:
Core
SRD
Complete Arcana
Everything else is on case-by-case basis.

Boggartbae
2017-12-10, 12:38 AM
the Life Drain feat from Libris Mortis lets you add your charisma modifier to the hp loss from your negative levels, and then gives you that total amount as temporary hp.

Necrotic Focus is a +3 bonus weapon enhancement that lets you apply your energy drain with your weapon attacks. I'm not sure if that counts for a succubus, since the ability states "bestow negative levels through the weapon as if attacking with its natural weapons." Check with your dm, because it could be strong. I would allow it, since a succubus needs to grapple, which is like attacking, but I'm not sure if a kiss counts as a natural weapon.

Edit: additional sentence for clarity

Metahuman1
2017-12-10, 01:15 AM
Well, first thing I'd do is talk to the DM and see if he'd be willing to cut you a break and wave the Succubus LA. (Succubus is about as good as rogue or bard with out the LA, so it's not unbalanced.)

The second question I have is, are you Married to the idea of worshipping this specific god, and are you married to the idea of using Core LG paladin? (Core LG Paladin is generally rather bad for anyone who wants to do things in a spying type way.)

If the answer to those latter two points is "No.", perhaps look at one of the several Chaotic Good deity's, (I like Sune myself.), and pick up the Paladin of Freedom Variant from Unearthed Arcana. Which is overall an improvement on Base Paladin, particularly if you want to be better as a spy or face type. (It's also on the SRD.)

The Battle Blessing feat and the Devotion feats from Complete Champion would be worth a look for something to get some mileage out of your turn undead uses. Battle Blessing also helps with your Paladin Casting. (I also like the Luck and Travel Devotion feats myself.)

Lastly, Champions of Valor is a Forgotten Realms book, and there's a variant in there were you can swap Smite Evil for Inspire Courage. Consider doing that and adding some things from the standard list of Bard Optimization options (Lingering Song, Song of the Heart and Words of Power feats from Complete Adventurer, One of the Eberron Books and Book of Exalted Deeds, respectively.) Regalia of the Hero Items from Magic Item Compendium's Magic Item Sets section, an Item of the Inspirational Boost spell from Spell Compendium, so on. Your Barbarian, Warlock and Rogue will love you, your cleric and druid will probably like you more if not outright love you, and the Warmage will appreciate it when he's using those Touch/Range Touch attack spells. Cause they all get help hitting there target, and get more damage.

Blue Jay
2017-12-10, 01:27 AM
the Life Drain feat from Libris Mortis lets you add your charisma modifier to the hp loss from your negative levels, and then gives you that total amount as temporary hp.

Necrotic Focus is a +3 bonus weapon enhancement that lets you apply your energy drain with your weapon attacks. I'm not sure if that counts for a succubus, since the ability states "bestow negative levels through the weapon as if attacking with its natural weapons." Check with your dm, because it could be strong. I would allow it, since a succubus needs to grapple, which is like attacking, but I'm not sure if a kiss counts as a natural weapon.

There's also a lot of elements to the succubus's "bluff, seduce and drain life force" routine that DM's are very likely to find incompatible with a LG paladin's code, so make sure you get that clarified with your DM.

Goladar
2017-12-10, 08:26 AM

Necrotic Focus is a no-go. Life Drain is a possibility and it led me to find Improved Energy Drain and Spell Drain, which both sound cool. But are they worth it? To plant a kiss on an unwilling target, I need to start a grapple(basically make a touch attack). So I need to have IUS and IG. I could get rid of Ability Focus...

Well, first thing I'd do is talk to the DM and see if he'd be willing to cut you a break and wave the Succubus LA. (Succubus is about as good as rogue or bard with out the LA, so it's not unbalanced.)

The second question I have is, are you Married to the idea of worshipping this specific god, and are you married to the idea of using Core LG paladin? (Core LG Paladin is generally rather bad for anyone who wants to do things in a spying type way.)

If the answer to those latter two points is "No.", perhaps look at one of the several Chaotic Good deity's, (I like Sune myself.), and pick up the Paladin of Freedom Variant from Unearthed Arcana. Which is overall an improvement on Base Paladin, particularly if you want to be better as a spy or face type. (It's also on the SRD.)

The Battle Blessing feat and the Devotion feats from Complete Champion would be worth a look for something to get some mileage out of your turn undead uses. Battle Blessing also helps with your Paladin Casting. (I also like the Luck and Travel Devotion feats myself.)

Lastly, Champions of Valor is a Forgotten Realms book, and there's a variant in there were you can swap Smite Evil for Inspire Courage. Consider doing that and adding some things from the standard list of Bard Optimization options (Lingering Song, Song of the Heart and Words of Power feats from Complete Adventurer, One of the Eberron Books and Book of Exalted Deeds, respectively.) Regalia of the Hero Items from Magic Item Compendium's Magic Item Sets section, an Item of the Inspirational Boost spell from Spell Compendium, so on. Your Barbarian, Warlock and Rogue will love you, your cleric and druid will probably like you more if not outright love you, and the Warmage will appreciate it when he's using those Touch/Range Touch attack spells. Cause they all get help hitting there target, and get more damage.

I've asked my DM about the LA. He's pretty traditional, so I'm thinking he might reduce by 1 or 2, but there's no way he'll get rid of it completely.

She has to be LG because she was turned from evil by a Helm of Opposed Alignment. I'm open to different deity's, but I thought he fit well. Which leads us to not being able to choose PoF.

Battle Blessing is definitely on the list already. But I'll probably take that as my 9th level feat. Devotion feats look interesting.

I only have Smite 1/day. Is it worth it to spend a feat to do something 1/day(2/day at ECL 17)?

Boggartbae
2017-12-10, 11:01 PM
Necrotic Focus is a no-go. Life Drain is a possibility and it led me to find Improved Energy Drain and Spell Drain, which both sound cool. But are they worth it? To plant a kiss on an unwilling target, I need to start a grapple(basically make a touch attack). So I need to have IUS and IG. I could get rid of Ability Focus...

Oh poo. Well sorry. That weapon enchant was kind of the whole point, so sorry about that.

Improved energy drain should give you a bonus on grapple checks, while your opponent would get a penalty. This could lead your grapple check to spiral out of control, ensuring your opponent’s death.

Spell drain is meh imo, but I’ve never played with it, and casters are easy to grapple. It depends I guess on if you’re fighting a lot of medium sized prepared casters.

Goladar
2017-12-11, 12:02 AM
Oh poo. Well sorry. That weapon enchant was kind of the whole point, so sorry about that.

Improved energy drain should give you a bonus on grapple checks, while your opponent would get a penalty. This could lead your grapple check to spiral out of control, ensuring your opponent’s death.

Spell drain is meh imo, but I’ve never played with it, and casters are easy to grapple. It depends I guess on if you’re fighting a lot of medium sized prepared casters.

So my DM is letting me use the natural attacks to qualify for improved grapple, so i habe am extra feat!

Boggartbae
2017-12-11, 12:36 AM
So my DM is letting me use the natural attacks to qualify for improved grapple, so i habe am extra feat!

Sweet! then the only other advice I can give you is to ask the DM about home-brewing some new spells called enlarge monster (since you're an outsider and not a humanoid) and reduce monster (since you might fight opponents who aren't humanoids)

They would work exactly like enlarge person and reduce person, respectively, but affect any creature type, and probably be about level 3 or 4.

Then, enlarge yourself for every fight, and get a +1 spell storing amulet of natural attacks, so that when you do you're first touch attack to initiate a grapple, it shrinks your opponent.

You can't really do this as a paladin, and I don't know of any medium or full BAB arcane casting classes that get access to enlarge person or reduce person.

Maybe if your dm lets you do it you could put the spells on wands that you could UMD? then prep your amulet to shrink after ever fight, and all you have to do is enlarge yourself at the beginning of every fight, and you keep your Paladin BAB.

Metahuman1
2017-12-11, 03:29 AM
Ah, I thought he was just allowing the Wizards of the Coast Prescribed during the 3.5 Era Idea of a redeemed Demon, meaning there was room to be Chaotic Good.

En, I'd pick up the ability as over all it's still better then standard Smite Evil, but yeah, don't try to hard with it.

Barbarian will likely still like the +1 to hit and damage, and the Warlock and the Rogue and such still won't mind it. And the fact that it's helping your whole party hurt them better while also lasting longer then one attack makes it better then Smite even with out supplemental help. (And the items are still a think that can give it a bit more juice that would be worth looking into around mid level.)

Apart from that, seek some Devotion feats, and try to be careful about falling. Like I said, Travel and Luck Devotion are quite good.