PDA

View Full Version : Dreadmaster "special cohorts"

Yogibear41
2017-12-10, 03:32 AM
Do a Dreadmaster's special cohorts advance like a normal cohort? For example if I select a doppleganger as my "special cohort" with its 6th level equivalent ECL for the purpose of the dreadmaster, can I then give it class levels or racial HD until it is my level -2 (assuming my leadership score is high enough for that)

The Viscount
2017-12-10, 01:19 PM
Yes, you would treat the monsters ECL as its cohort level, so it would always have to be 2 below your level. This follows this "special cohorts" rules on page 200 of DMG.

One thing to note is that Dreadmaster was written before all monsters had listed ECL, so you should update the chart accordingly. For example, the Doppelganger has an ECL of 8 in 3.5 rules.

Yogibear41
2017-12-10, 01:54 PM
One thing to note is that Dreadmaster was written before all monsters had listed ECL, so you should update the chart accordingly. For example, the Doppelganger has an ECL of 8 in 3.5 rules.

I figured it was one of those circumstances where they had a reduced LA as a benefit of the prestige class, similar to taking a dragon with the Dragon Cohort feat.