PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 3.P - Where are rules for ocean waves?

unseenmage
2017-12-10, 04:59 AM
Am about to start GMing a Skull & Shackles game tomorrow and I cannot for the life of me find rules for ocean waves and what sort of threat they pose ships and overboard crew.

Anything from simple big sudden waves to tidal waves.

Game is PF but am willing to use 3.x rules where appropriate.

Kurald Galain
2017-12-10, 06:51 AM
I suggest looking into the Hydraulic Push (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hydraulic-push) and Wave Form (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wave-form) spells, and having natural occurences of these effects.

Zaq
2017-12-10, 12:57 PM
The obvious answer seems to be Stormwrack.

Basically all of Chapter One of Stormwrack is going to be moderately useful to you, but in particular, pp. 19-20 have rules for hazards that might affect combat on a ship's deck in uncalm waters, and pp. 23-24 have some rules about storms affecting ships. I'd read the whole chapter, though. It'll be a good start, if nothing else.

legomaster00156
2017-12-10, 02:10 PM
There aren't any such rules, though there are similar rules in the third book's article of Storms and Shackles. Otherwise, it's all wrapped up in the DC 5/20 sailing check.

Palanan
2017-12-10, 02:53 PM
One of the most dangerous consequences from heavy waves is when a ship broaches, turning broadside to an oncoming wave rather than cutting into it with the bow. A ship in this situation can be rolled over so its masts hit the water, and even a large ship caught in this fashion can sink in seconds.

The largest ocean-waves can also block the wind entirely when a ship is the trough between wave-crests, calling for masterful ship-handling to avoid broaching or losing way. Rather than trivializing this with a single skill check, you can require several crewmembers to each accomplish a key task, perhaps with other crew helping with aid another.

Also, you might watch "Master and Commander" for inspiration, especially when Jack Aubrey is taking Surprise around Cape Horn. Put the ship in a similar situation, to force the characters to make those kinds of choices and sacrifices.