PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next More Spells

demonslayerelf
2017-12-10, 07:58 AM
Welp, I've been working on bigger projects, and haven't made anything in a while.
So here's a handful of spells inspired by other media I consume!

More Spells! (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJZZlqT4sW)

Feedback is always appreciated!

noob
2017-12-10, 09:06 AM
I have one great question on which I was pondering since the start.
Is all 5e content so eldritch and unfathomable that it is impossible to post it directly on giant in the playground forums?
Because else why are all 5e homebrewers always posting links to outside of gitp without giving copies of that content directly on the forums for ease of access?
I mean: When I open a thread with the 5e tag there is always nothing in it other than a link to one other web site.
If you copied the content here I would be able to read everything instead of getting to a web page where by some mistake there is at least two spells which can not be read because they are half out of the page.
And I do not want to click on a link solely to click on another link.

Calen
2017-12-10, 12:15 PM
I have one great question on which I was pondering since the start.
Is all 5e content so eldritch and unfathomable that it is impossible to post it directly on giant in the playground forums?...

Im going to guess at the posters reason...

There are some great 5e resources out there like Homebrewery which is what demonslayerelf used. But after they have put all that work into formatting it on that site they may not want to put the time into formatting it again on this site.

Looking at the spells.

Dragon Lightning - seems interesting. Adjudicating it might be a bit annoying for the DM.

Perfect Warrior - Rangers, Paldins, Bladelocks would get 3 attacks at 16th level. Rouges or Bards could get two attacks earlier.

Venomfire is interesting... If I could learn that at not the expense of another spell it would be a great thing to have in reserve. Not sure that I would ever prepare it over a more general purpose spell though.

GalacticAxekick
2017-12-10, 02:02 PM
I Is all 5e content so eldritch and unfathomable that it is impossible to post it directly on giant in the playground forums?I much prefer having content in one tab and discussion in another, that way I can flip between them instantly rather than scroll up and down.

I also find homebrewery far easier to read and write than huge blocks of formatted text on gitp

Blackbando
2017-12-10, 02:11 PM
Gonna respond to these in the order they have on the homebrewery page.

By the way, one thing I'm just gonna point out? It's irrelevant to put the 'against your spell save DC' portion of these spells. That's sorta implied by the fact you're casting these spells.

Crushing Force
Kinda weird how the damage increase functions. It looks fine, though.

Dragon Lightning
This spell scales way too well. As written, if you cast it with a 9th level slot, you'll be dealing 5d10 lightning damage 5 times without a saving throw. That's 25d10 lightning damage, a maximum of 10 more than meteor swarm. This needs to either force a saving throw or be a spell attack, and it should either scale the damage of the single arc with higher slots, or the arcs should deal less (maybe 5d6?) and scale how it currently does.

Empty Physicality
Aside from the word "effect" being incorrect gramatically-it should be "affect"-this spell looks fine. Since it's ghost-like, I could possibly see it actually being necromancy, but that's just me.

Grasp Heart
Looks fine? Bits of formatting issues (like how it says small instead of Small, likewise for Huge), but since it targets a strong saving throw of many creatures-Constitution-I think it's balanced. It really feels like necromancy to me, but since it makes a portal I suppose Conjuration does sorta work?

Halting Rebuke
Yeah, no. First off, it should say rounds, and second off, this is really overpowered. Spellcasting level affecting spells is not a thing in 5e, aside from cantrips, and at the moment this spell doesn't actually end when you use your reaction to unleash the energy. This feels more like it should be higher level, in my opinion. Maybe 4th? And, I'd recommend changing it from spellcaster level to the slot level used. Since that makes the damage decreased lower, I think it would also function better as a bonus action if you go with slot level.

Path of Daggers
Do they get a saving throw? What can you target? How can they end the effect aside from dispel magic? If you explain these things, it looks fine, but I actually think 5th level is too high for this spell. Maybe 3rd? Possibly even 2nd but that might be pushing it.

Perfect Warrior
Yeah, no. Look at Tenser's Transformation for a guide on how this stuff is handled. Also, should say 1 bonus action, not just 1 bonus.

Reality Slash
Christ, that's an insane amount of damage. Deals way too much. This would be better if either each damage type was halved (4d12 each) or it was just one (8d12 for that one). The effects look alright, though.

Teleportation
5e already has teleport.

Venomfire
Part of me wants to say this should be Concentration, but judging by the fact they can end it as an action, and it's so specific, I don't think it should be. Looks fine.

I can't read the rest of the spells. They're off the page.

demonslayerelf
2017-12-10, 03:59 PM
Dragon Lightning
This spell scales way too well. As written, if you cast it with a 9th level slot, you'll be dealing 5d10 lightning damage 5 times without a saving throw. That's 25d10 lightning damage, a maximum of 10 more than meteor swarm. This needs to either force a saving throw or be a spell attack, and it should either scale the damage of the single arc with higher slots, or the arcs should deal less (maybe 5d6?) and scale how it currently does.
Well, here's the thing. These are actually only good against things that don't have much mobility. Also the damage is a bit of a moot point, because meteor swarm hits everything within 500000 miles of where you're aiming, with the only caveat being it has to hit the ground, which means it very easily outclasses everything else in damage.

Grasp Heart
Looks fine? Bits of formatting issues (like how it says small instead of Small, likewise for Huge), but since it targets a strong saving throw of many creatures-Constitution-I think it's balanced. It really feels like necromancy to me, but since it makes a portal I suppose Conjuration does sorta work?
I was debating that a bit. It definitely feels like a necromancy, but at the same time it's bending space, which is a conjuration thing. The way I see it, it probably wouldn't be necromancy if you targeted someone's leg and tripped them with the hand-portal trick, so I figure it's conjuration.

Halting Rebuke
Yeah, no. First off, it should say rounds, and second off, this is really overpowered. Spellcasting level affecting spells is not a thing in 5e, aside from cantrips, and at the moment this spell doesn't actually end when you use your reaction to unleash the energy. This feels more like it should be higher level, in my opinion. Maybe 4th? And, I'd recommend changing it from spellcaster level to the slot level used. Since that makes the damage decreased lower, I think it would also function better as a bonus action if you go with slot level.
The intention was to make it end after you use it, I made it more clear.
That said; Number of rounds etc. times spell slot used is incredibly weak. At most, for maintaining concentration for the entire minute, you would get a 90 damage sponge with a 9th level spell. Keeping in mind that Heal at 9th level, gives you 100 health, you don't need to maintain concentration, doesn't take a reaction later, can target anyone in 60 feet, and doesn't get wasted or cost more if you don't use it within a certain time limit.
And assuming you maintain the concentration for a full minute, and are 20th level, you get to block 200 damage from a single attack, from within 120 feet, which you can see. Yeah, the number's a bit high. Probably change that to half of your caster level. Because you fail to realize, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. Maybe it's "not a thing in 5e," but neither was making a massive permanent castle or temple, before Xanathar's. Nor were there spells which granted you immunity to damage. That isn't an argument.

Path of Daggers
Do they get a saving throw? What can you target? How can they end the effect aside from dispel magic? If you explain these things, it looks fine, but I actually think 5th level is too high for this spell. Maybe 3rd? Possibly even 2nd but that might be pushing it.
No saving throw, and literally anything that moves. Even if they're pushed or thrown. It's perfect for locking people down unless they can fly, because just taking your movement ends up dealing 12d4 piercing damage. If it's too high of level... This one's tricky, but you're probably right, yeah. 3rd level seems too low though, and 5e doesn't really have any good comparative spells. None that I can remember, at least... I could be wrong.

Perfect Warrior
Yeah, no. Look at Tenser's Transformation for a guide on how this stuff is handled. Also, should say 1 bonus action, not just 1 bonus.
Tenser's Transformation is a 6th level spell, grants 50 temporary hit points, an extra 2d12 force damage with every hit, proficiency in multiple saves, and advantage on all attack rolls, on top of allowing 2 attacks per action.
Perfect Warrior is a 3rd level spell, only grants proficiency with 1 weapon, and allows upto 3 attacks at high levels. I really don't understand your point here, this is just a spell to let you hit people.

Reality Slash
Christ, that's an insane amount of damage. Deals way too much. This would be better if either each damage type was halved (4d12 each) or it was just one (8d12 for that one). The effects look alright, though.
Actually, it's the same damage as meteor swarm(Scaled up to 9th level, at least), only it hits one thing, and carries a rider.

Teleportation
5e already has teleport.
Read the spell, there are no similarities.

I can't read the rest of the spells. They're off the page.
I have no clue how to help you. The homebrewery is a really finicky thing.

Blackbando
2017-12-11, 01:29 PM
Well, here's the thing. These are actually only good against things that don't have much mobility. Also the damage is a bit of a moot point, because meteor swarm hits everything within 500000 miles of where you're aiming, with the only caveat being it has to hit the ground, which means it very easily outclasses everything else in damage.

500000 miles is exaggerating a bit, but also keep in mind that fire is one of the most resisted damage types in all of 5e, and it consists of half of meteor swarm's damage. Oh, also? Your mobility point is incorrect.

You choose a single target within 120 feet, raising your hand and stating your wish for their death verbally. An arc of electricity then flies towards the creature, moving 60 feet at the end of each of your turns.
If the creature is 60 feet or closer to you, then provided the creature has no legendary action (assuming it would take place before the arc moves) or reaction to moving away, every arc will hit. It is still way too much damage for having no saving throw or spell attack.

I was debating that a bit. It definitely feels like a necromancy, but at the same time it's bending space, which is a conjuration thing. The way I see it, it probably wouldn't be necromancy if you targeted someone's leg and tripped them with the hand-portal trick, so I figure it's conjuration.

Fair enough.

(snip) Because you fail to realize, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. Maybe it's "not a thing in 5e," but neither was making a massive permanent castle or temple, before Xanathar's. Nor were there spells which granted you immunity to damage. That isn't an argument.

Your wording fix should probably say ending this spell and not effect, but otherwise looks fine.
I do agree it was too weak before.
Yeah, that is true, but how would this work, for, say, innate spellcasting? The difference between the Xanathar's examples you listed is that, while they were not spells before Xanathar's, they still rely on existing mechanics, for the most part.

No saving throw, and literally anything that moves. Even if they're pushed or thrown. It's perfect for locking people down unless they can fly, because just taking your movement ends up dealing 12d4 piercing damage. If it's too high of level... This one's tricky, but you're probably right, yeah. 3rd level seems too low though, and 5e doesn't really have any good comparative spells. None that I can remember, at least... I could be wrong.

Spike growth is the closest I can find. If you're not allowing a saving throw at all, then 5th level should actually be fine. I suggested the lower levels because I had, at the time, assumed you forgot a saving throw.

Tenser's Transformation is a 6th level spell, grants 50 temporary hit points, an extra 2d12 force damage with every hit, proficiency in multiple saves, and advantage on all attack rolls, on top of allowing 2 attacks per action.
Perfect Warrior is a 3rd level spell, only grants proficiency with 1 weapon, and allows upto 3 attacks at high levels. I really don't understand your point here, this is just a spell to let you hit people.
While it's true that Tenser's Transformation is a stronger spell, the extra attacks on classes that would not otherwise have it but could benefit (any cleric domain with Divine Strike, arcane tricksters with sneak attack, paladins, bladelocks) make this spell immensely powerful. Tenser's Transformation is balanced in that it is a Wizard only spell (aside from Bards with magical secrets), and while it makes the wizard immensely powerful, no wizard subclasses save for Bladesinger get any bonuses to their weapon attack damage or any similar feature, and Bladesinger only adds Intelligence modifier to damage, which is not a huge bonus.

Actually, it's the same damage as meteor swarm(Scaled up to 9th level, at least), only it hits one thing, and carries a rider.

That's not a good thing. Damage spells are not meant to scale to match up with spells of higher levels that closely. Compare this to finger of death, which, although it has the added effect of a permanent zombie (which are pretty low CR and aren't the most useful thing at the level you get them), deals only 7d8 + 30 necrotic damage (a max of 86), and also targets a save monsters tend to be better at (Constitution). And, yes, it's true, it has a clause, but if the enemy has any magical items the caster wants, and the caster is aware of them, they are most likely not going to cast this. Or, if the threat is dangerous enough, they will.

Read the spell, there are no similarities.
It still feels like far too much. That amount of movement, even for a 7th level slot, is amazingly powerful.

Also, I found how to read the other spells; had to go into the source code. Now to respond to them.

Vermilion Nova
Looks fine. I don't get why it's Constitution, unless it's to imply the creatures are inhaling some sort of toxic smog, but I don't feel like that was the intent.

Undead Flame
As a guy who loves playing necromancers, I'd totally take this spell. However, I find it odd that it targets a number of undead equal to your spellcasting modifier. While this isn't really an issue, persay, it'd make more sense to make it a number of undead equal to the slot level expended.
Also, definitely not enchantment. This is definitely necromancy.

Edit: Had a formatting error.

SwordMeow
2017-12-11, 03:26 PM
re:OP

Sizes don't need to be italicized.
You should include a "Class" section on every spell, like you have for "casting time" and "duration" so that perusing is easier.
At Higher Levels should be italicized (and bolded).
Durations should be "Concentration, up to 1 minute" for conc 1 min spells.
Capitalize attributes for saving throws, eg "Strength saving throw" in crushing force.
Flying creatures would likely be higher than 15 feet off the ground - do you want it to be a cylinder like how magic circle works?
The At Higher Levels for crushing force is unprecedented, but I think it's okay.
Quicken crushing force with ray of frost on a slow enemy for some interesting times... Fun spell.

I'm trying to reach my 10 post count so I'll pause there, but if you want more don't hesitate to ask.

demonslayerelf
2017-12-11, 08:23 PM
500000 miles is exaggerating a bit, but also keep in mind that fire is one of the most resisted damage types in all of 5e, and it consists of half of meteor swarm's damage. Oh, also? Your mobility point is incorrect.

If the creature is 60 feet or closer to you, then provided the creature has no legendary action (assuming it would take place before the arc moves) or reaction to moving away, every arc will hit. It is still way too much damage for having no saving throw or spell attack.
Oh, sh*t. I meant for it to be 30.

While it's true that Tenser's Transformation is a stronger spell, the extra attacks on classes that would not otherwise have it but could benefit (any cleric domain with Divine Strike, arcane tricksters with sneak attack, paladins, bladelocks) make this spell immensely powerful. Tenser's Transformation is balanced in that it is a Wizard only spell (aside from Bards with magical secrets), and while it makes the wizard immensely powerful, no wizard subclasses save for Bladesinger get any bonuses to their weapon attack damage or any similar feature, and Bladesinger only adds Intelligence modifier to damage, which is not a huge bonus.
Divine Strike and Sneak Attack only work once per round, and Paladins already get 2 attacks. And, it should be noted, Haste does the same thing only better, up until 17th level.

That's not a good thing. Damage spells are not meant to scale to match up with spells of higher levels that closely. Compare this to finger of death, which, although it has the added effect of a permanent zombie (which are pretty low CR and aren't the most useful thing at the level you get them), deals only 7d8 + 30 necrotic damage (a max of 86), and also targets a save monsters tend to be better at (Constitution). And, yes, it's true, it has a clause, but if the enemy has any magical items the caster wants, and the caster is aware of them, they are most likely not going to cast this. Or, if the threat is dangerous enough, they will.
That IS one of the intended weaknesses of the spell. That said, the damage is pretty astronomical, but you can actually compare it to Disintegrate a bit better. Disintegrate is upto 100 damage, with the same save, and the All-or-nothing damage. So, point. Even with the intended bad stuff, it's a bit much. Now it's d8's, not 12's.

It still feels like far too much. That amount of movement, even for a 7th level slot, is amazingly powerful.
You mentioned Teleport. That can take you anywhere on the plane, with the same spell level. So sheer distance isn't the concern.
The other comparable spells are Dimension Door and Misty Step. MS is already a bonus action, and is a 2nd level spell, at 60 feet. DD is an action at 4th level, at 400 feet. So, maybe 250 is a bit much, yeah. Reducing it to 120.

Vermilion Nova
Looks fine. I don't get why it's Constitution, unless it's to imply the creatures are inhaling some sort of toxic smog, but I don't feel like that was the intent.
The idea is that, the area is ON FIRE. It's not a matter of getting out of the way, like a fire ball, it's a matter of enduring it. The fire sticks around, you aren't dodging anything, like you might dodge an explosion by ducking behind something or getting out of the way.
(Speaking of fire balls, though, funnily enough, Vermillion Nova is actually the equivalent of 5 fire balls if you concentrate the entire time and things can't move.)

Undead Flame
As a guy who loves playing necromancers, I'd totally take this spell. However, I find it odd that it targets a number of undead equal to your spellcasting modifier. While this isn't really an issue, persay, it'd make more sense to make it a number of undead equal to the slot level expended.
Also, definitely not enchantment. This is definitely necromancy.
Yep, you're right about the school of magic. My template was an enchantment. I would say right on both counts, but I like the idea that the spell helps to shield them from damage more than hit tons of different undead. I could switch the two scalings, but that seems a little weird to me, because it implies to me that the LITERAL WORST WIZARD, with 1 Intelligence, could keep 9 nearly unkillable undead by constantly healing them(Even if they wouldn't get Temp. Hit points like that). I like the idea that spellcaster's aptitude as a magic user effects more than just a DC and attack bonus.

OdinTGE
2017-12-11, 09:36 PM
Grammar Nitpicking:
"You force the gravity in a 15-foot radius to amplify greatly, pulling people down, painfully against the ground." I think you need a comma after "painfully." I'm also not entirely sure the comma between "greatly" and "pulling" is what you need. When you've got an interjection in a sentence using commas like that you have to ask yourself if the sentence works when you pull that out.

"You force the gravity in a 15-foot radius to amplify greatly painfully against the ground." That sentence does not work. Also remember that when writing things you have to be very explicit regarding effects. Your line says it pulls people. Are griffons people? What about Yetis? Etc.

My suggestion:
"You force the gravity in a 15-foot radius to amplify greatly causing it to pull creatures down, painfully, against the ground." That said I'm not sure either of the commas are needed in my version. Putting them in seems to give emphasis to the word "painfully"; really driving home the way in which creatures are being pulled. You could get away without them though.

CircleOfTheRock
2017-12-18, 01:11 AM
Grammar Nitpicking:
"You force the gravity in a 15-foot radius to amplify greatly, pulling people down, painfully against the ground." I think you need a comma after "painfully." I'm also not entirely sure the comma between "greatly" and "pulling" is what you need. When you've got an interjection in a sentence using commas like that you have to ask yourself if the sentence works when you pull that out.

"You force the gravity in a 15-foot radius to amplify greatly painfully against the ground." That sentence does not work. Also remember that when writing things you have to be very explicit regarding effects. Your line says it pulls people. Are griffons people? What about Yetis? Etc.

My suggestion:
"You force the gravity in a 15-foot radius to amplify greatly causing it to pull creatures down, painfully, against the ground." That said I'm not sure either of the commas are needed in my version. Putting them in seems to give emphasis to the word "painfully"; really driving home the way in which creatures are being pulled. You could get away without them though.
For the grammatical nitpicking, I'd actually drop both of those commas and add one after greatly, as well as adding what I have; you can't pull creatures against the ground: "You force the gravity in a 15-foot radius to amplify greatly, causing it to pull creatures down painfully into the ground."