PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Alternate forms of spellbooks: gems, crystals etc.

Hazeeb
2017-12-10, 08:30 AM
I have a 1st level wizard that had no spell book because he was on a slave ship and it was lost. He goes to a seedy looking magic shop and purchases a set of crystals (for a pint of his blood and soul) that will act as his spellbook.

I would like to reward this player with something that will stay interesting down the line.

I remember Selu'kirra being a thing in Forgotten Realms but I can't for the LIFE of me find a book or page number. It may be that it came from the 3 part book series that introduced the Feyri but I feel like there were actual rules to use them as spellbooks somewhere. If not, then I'd like to make an alternate kind of spellbook system that imitates a Selu'kirra.

Can anyone give advice on how to handle this or rules regarding something similar?

Divayth Fyr
2017-12-10, 08:54 AM
The Telkiira is a wondrous item from the Lost Empires of Faerun, that - among other things - is a spellbook that can hold up to 200 pages worth of spells, with no cost to scribe new ones in.

noob
2017-12-10, 08:57 AM
in ebberon there is the Spellshard
and the upgraded version(a variant similar to the boccop blessed book):
https://eberron-hok.obsidianportal.com/items/aureon-s-spellshard
You can also use variant spellbooks: there was a manual who listed some variant spellbooks such as using bones or small objects or your own skin or buildings as spellbooks.

ShurikVch
2017-12-10, 10:01 AM
For completeness, there are also Kiira in Magic of Faerūn, and Lore Gem in Magic Item Compendium; both are cost 7500 gp, and hold up to 30 spells

Also, Slate Folio in Dragon #327; it costs the same 7500 gp, contains up to 5 books (mundane or magical), each one up to 100 pages

https://image.ibb.co/n8WLNw/Slate_Folio.jpg

(It's "magical PDA")

Hazeeb
2017-12-10, 11:40 PM
That last one made me laugh. Perfect for an artificer. Thank you everyone this was exactly what I needed.

The wizard that went this direction is a first level fool that wandered into the seediest looking magic shop he could find. He had no money so the half naga patron asked him to hold out his arm. She not only sucked out a mouthful of blood, I secretly rolled and she managed to splinter off a small chunk of his soul as well. Lets hope his new spell crystal is worth the trouble that 'taint' brings in the future.