PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Balance Fixes for Races (from survey results)

snafuy
2017-12-10, 10:16 AM
According to the recent survey (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?541190-5E-Race-Survey-RESULTS-ARE-IN), these races are the most unbalanced:

Too Cold
Too Hot

Standard Human

Dragonborn
Orc

Kenku
Kobold
Rock Gnome
Earth Genasi
Variant Human

Winged Tiefling
Aarakocra

Standard Half-Elf
Yuan-Ti Pureblood
Drow Magic Half-Elf
Cantrip Half-Elf

So here are complementary sets of buffs and nerfs to bring everything closer together.

standard Human:
add Human Versatility: You gain proficiency in one skill, one artisan tool, and one language of your choice, plus light armor and simple weapons.
(piling it on to make them worthwhile.)

Dragonborn:
improve Dragon Breath: ... The damage increases by 1d6 at 3rd level and every three levels thereafter (reaching 8d6 at 18th level). You can use dragon breath twice, then you must complete a short rest or long rest before you can use it again.
(better scaling allows it to remain useful at upper levels)

Orc:
add Savage Attacker (from Half-Orc).

Kenku:
add Flock Tactics: You have advantage on an attack roll against a creature if you and at least two allies are within 5 feet of the creature and the allies aren't incapacitated.
(UPDATE: weakened further)

Kobold:
add Deceptive: You are proficient with Deception skill.

Rock Gnome:
improve Artificer's Lore: Whenever you make an artisan tool check, or an Intelligence check related to magic items, alchemical objects, or technological devices, you can add twice your proficiency bonus, instead of any proficiency bonus you normally apply.
(not just History)

Earth Genasi:
improve Merge With Stone: ... Once you reach 5th level, you can do the same with the Meld Into Stone spell.
(obviously)

all Half-Elf varieties:
add Ability Score Decrease: Your Constitution or Charisma score decreases by 1 (your choice).
(that's still net +1 Cha.)
replace Skill Versatility (if applicable) with Half-Elf Versatility: You gain Keen Senses plus your choice of: Skilled (+1 skill), Elf Weapon Training, or Drow Weapon Training.

Yuan-Ti Pureblood:
replace Magic Resistance and Poison Immunity with Poison Resilience (same as Dwarven Resilience).
(UPDATE: now about even with standard Tiefling)

all winged races (Aarakocra, Winged Tiefling, Avariel, etc):
add Limited Flight: You can sustain flight for a limited time (see table) based on your character level, then you must land for one round.

Character Level
8+

Flight Limit (Turns)
same as walking

(flight is too effective in first tier, but commonplace later on)

variant Human:
remove Skilled.
add Ability Score Decrease: One ability score of your choice decreases by 1.

Thus decrees the Handicapper General. And yes, game balance is absolutely a thing worth improving.

p.s. Coming next: Balance Fixes for Classes.

Blackbando
2017-12-10, 02:43 PM
The Kenku fix actually makes Kenku pretty broken. The only other race with Pack Tactics (since they're literally the same) is Kobold, and they get sunlight sensitivity to counterbalance it. The rest seem fine, but I think it'd be better to just remove the Magic Resistance aspect of Yuan-Ti entirely. After all, Gnomes get Gnome Cunning as practically their only useful racial trait (they might get darkvision as well but I'm away from my books atm), so why should they get that trait and magic and poison resistance?

snafuy
2017-12-10, 05:19 PM
The Kenku fix actually makes Kenku pretty broken. The only other race with Pack Tactics (since they're literally the same) is Kobold, and they get sunlight sensitivity to counterbalance it.
Not exactly. Pack Tactics only requires the ally to be adjacent, and you can be anywhere. But you're right, it's probably too strong. I'll restrict it further.

I think it'd be better to just remove the Magic Resistance aspect of Yuan-Ti entirely. After all, Gnomes get Gnome Cunning as practically their only useful racial trait
Well, you have to compare Yuan-Ti as a unit against Base Race + Subrace together. But yes, even then Yuan-Ti still comes out ahead.

SwordMeow
2017-12-11, 03:55 PM
I'm playing a magic res-less Yuan Ti and without magic res they are really ok. Immunity really isn't that big of a deal. More of an RP thing that I can't get drunk or intoxicated

snafuy
2017-12-12, 08:08 PM
I'm playing a magic res-less Yuan Ti and without magic res they are really ok. Immunity really isn't that big of a deal. More of an RP thing that I can't get drunk or intoxicated
Unless you're facing a huge maze filled with poison gas, or a green dragon. I guess your DM would avoid those things, except for the purpose of giving your character a showcase. Permanent immunity changes the game.