PDA

View Full Version : I need more str

HalfOrcHero
2017-12-10, 10:30 AM
I have 24 str as an orc cleric, i follow god of str and get +6 strr so i have 30, but only if i stay lawful neutral, how do i get more str without anything truly BS? I have 17 dex, 13 con, 15 int, 16 wis, and 15 chr. also dont want to begin to be overly 'lacking in other stats. PLS help.

Inevitability
2017-12-10, 10:43 AM
The Mineral Warrior template can be applied with a spell and give +6 strength. It also comes with +1 LA, though.

noob
2017-12-10, 10:44 AM
I believe there is a bunch of gm generated content in your game.
If you want more strength you can try to see if you can get a magic item who gives more strength.
Then there is the boost spells: as a cleric you have stuff like Divine Power(if you can not get the magic items that grants strength since that spell does not stacks), consumptive field(that your gm will probably ban), Righteous Might which gives a size bonus to strength.
The bonus from your god is of which kind?(since bonuses have a type most of the time)
Since it is not written in a manual it is possible that finding the type of the bonus can only be done by testing.

Zaq
2017-12-10, 11:30 AM
Do you need STR just for beating stuff up? Because there’s probably some spells you can cast that can make you better at beating stuff up in ways that look very similar (on the receiving end, at least) to just having higher STR.

I mean, I understand that you want to have an orcish follower of a god of strength have as much muscle as possible, but there does come a point when you’ve picked all the low-hanging fruit for options that directly boost your base attributes and it’s far cheaper/more efficient to look into options that give you the same net result as having higher STR.

That said, if money is no object, you might look into old-style* grafts (Fiend Folio, Lords of Madness, etc.). Many of them are ridiculously expensive, but they often boost your physical stats.

(*As opposed to new-style grafts from sources like Races of the Dragon and Magic of Eberron, which are much cheaper/more accessible but which tend to have fewer untyped bonuses to STR.)

JNAProductions
2017-12-10, 12:22 PM
Festering Anger.

HalfOrcHero
2017-12-10, 12:32 PM
Im also wondering how much my stats would give me, i plan in useing festering anger and con potions/str potions, can somebody also get me stats by 2s?

HalfOrcHero
2017-12-10, 12:35 PM
The Mineral Warrior template can be applied with a spell and give +6 strength. It also comes with +1 LA, though.

thank you, im down with this, 1 LA isnt toooo bad

HalfOrcHero
2017-12-10, 12:37 PM
Do you need STR just for beating stuff up? Because there’s probably some spells you can cast that can make you better at beating stuff up in ways that look very similar (on the receiving end, at least) to just having higher STR.

I mean, I understand that you want to have an orcish follower of a god of strength have as much muscle as possible, but there does come a point when you’ve picked all the low-hanging fruit for options that directly boost your base attributes and it’s far cheaper/more efficient to look into options that give you the same net result as having higher STR.

That said, if money is no object, you might look into old-style* grafts (Fiend Folio, Lords of Madness, etc.). Many of them are ridiculously expensive, but they often boost your physical stats.

(*As opposed to new-style grafts from sources like Races of the Dragon and Magic of Eberron, which are much cheaper/more accessible but which tend to have fewer untyped bonuses to STR.)
Think of like an arms race, a friend alradey has 31 ac, i have 30 str, we are racing to be better than the other, but we are working together, i plan on con potions and festering anger to beat his monk OPness.

JNAProductions
2017-12-10, 12:37 PM
Think of like an arms race, a friend alradey has 31 ac, i have 30 str, we are racing to be better than the other, but we are working together, i plan on con potions and festering anger to beat his monk OPness.

monk OPness.

That made me giggle.

HalfOrcHero
2017-12-10, 12:40 PM
I believe there is a bunch of gm generated content in your game.
If you want more strength you can try to see if you can get a magic item who gives more strength.
Then there is the boost spells: as a cleric you have stuff like Divine Power(if you can not get the magic items that grants strength since that spell does not stacks), consumptive field(that your gm will probably ban), Righteous Might which gives a size bonus to strength.
The bonus from your god is of which kind?(since bonuses have a type most of the time)
Since it is not written in a manual it is possible that finding the type of the bonus can only be done by testing.

the consumptive field thing is perfect
lol, we are running a campaign with lots of goblins, ooh the possibilities...
also i looked into divine power, im thinking more permanent

HalfOrcHero
2017-12-10, 12:43 PM
my DM's limiting me to one Domain, cause i'm just "too" OP despite the 31 AC monk... at level 3!
So what domains best? also thank you guys for looking this stuff up, i'm going to get that 31 AC monk!

heavyfuel
2017-12-10, 12:50 PM
how do i get more str without anything truly BS?

Festering Anger.

Yup, looks like standard forum practice is still at play here. Person 1 asks for things that will be accepted in normal games and Person 2 tells them about an infinite loop.

Hey, why not suggesting playing a Kobold Paladin while we're at it? :smallwink:

HalfOrcHero
2017-12-10, 12:56 PM
Yup, looks like standard forum practice is still at play here. Person 1 asks for things that will be accepted in normal games and Person 2 tells them about an infinite loop.

Hey, why not suggesting playing a Kobold Paladin while we're at it? :smallwink:

When i mean't BS i meant like a spell that gives me +10str 4 times a day, the festering anger is VERY expensive for my charcter, we are playing a low money campaign where the con potions are 300 gp a dose, i think its fair and then i have to stop the festering angerdisease when im done with it.

Inevitability
2017-12-10, 12:58 PM
thank you, im down with this, 1 LA isnt toooo bad

Do note that it makes you serve the caster for a while.

heavyfuel
2017-12-10, 01:06 PM
When i mean't BS i meant like a spell that gives me +10str 4 times a day, the festering anger is VERY expensive for my charcter, we are playing a low money campaign where the con potions are 300 gp a dose, i think its fair and then i have to stop the festering angerdisease when im done with it.

Not really. FA deals 1d3 Con damage, which you heal at a rate of 1 per day, so 1/3 of days, you effectively take 0 damage.

You're a Cleric, so you can get Healful Rest to double that rate, making your effective damage 0 2/3s of days or just cast Lesser Restoration to heal 1d4 points of Con.

It's hardly expensive for having NI Str.

If you and your DM don't consider NI Str that comes with a incredibly easily negated penalty to be in BS realm, then whatever, it's your game not mine. But +10 Str 4/day is so much less BS than that.

Vizzerdrix
2017-12-10, 06:06 PM
The arm of nyr is good for +2 str, but you have to be good.

Darrin
2017-12-11, 09:04 AM
There are a few drugs that can stack with enhancement bonuses to Str:

Devilweed
Price: 6 GP
(Book of Vile Darkness p. 42)
Initial: 1 point Wis damage
Secondary: +2 alchemical bonus to Str for 1d3 hours
Side: Acts skittish (treat as shaken) for same duration as the secondary effect
Overdose: none
Comments: Very easy to counteract these negative effects, and the alchemical bonus to Str stacks with bull's strength and Mule Pollen. You may need the DM to clarify if the skittish condition is identical to being shaken, because there are a variety of class abilities and some regional feats that offer immunity to shaken or other fear effects. Otherwise, IHS will get rid of it.
Addiction: Low
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 20

Jhuild ("Thrallwine")
Price: 6 GP
(Lords of Darkness p. 183)
Initial: 1 point Wis damage
Secondary: +2 alchemical bonus to Str for 1d3 hours
Side: While under drug's effects, user is shaken, and resistance to Intimidate checks reduced to 0 + HD.
Comments: Almost identical to Devilweed, and likewise easy to counteract, although in this case the side effect is explicitly shaken rather than something like it, so immunities to fear should work. Stacks with bull's strength and Mule Pollen. [Note: There's another version of Jhuild printed in Unapproachable East as "Rashemi Firewine", but the mechanics are significantly different. I prefer the LoD version, which still follows the Drug rules.]
Addiction: none

Mule Pollen
Price: 50 GP
(Magic of Faerun p. 181)
Initial: +2 untyped bonus to Str, -2 penalty to Int and Wis for 1d4x10 minutes
Secondary: none
Side: Fort save DC 12 or target is fatigued whenever not under the effects of mule pollen. Can be removed with neutralize poison.
Comments: This is an oddball that was included in Magic of Faerun's "Extraordinary Natural Items" before there were any formal drug rules. The Fort DC is low but the fatigue effect appears to be permanent and has no duration until you can get a neutralize poison spell. The penalty to Int and Wis does have a duration, so IHS can get rid of that, and the bonus to Str is untyped, so it will stack with other alchemical bonuses.
Addiction: special

Rhul ("Battlewine")
Price: 50 GP
(Lords of Darkness p. 184)
Initial: +4 alchemical bonus to Str and Con, also -2 penalty to AC.
Secondary: User is fatigued. A second dose of Rhul negates the fatigue for 1 minute, but may trigger overdose, and two or more doses of Rhul cause exhaustion.
Side: Will save DC 16 or user cannot make ranged attacks, must use melee attacks.
Overdose: If more than one dose taken in an hour, 1d4 points Int and Wis damage.
Comments: The AC penalty may be something you have to live with, but the fatigue is usually easy to get rid of. Icewild Lichen Paste (Secrets of Sarlona) pairs up nicely, as would any lesser restoration effect. Stacks with bull's strength and Mule Pollen.
Addiction: Medium

Goaty14
2017-12-11, 11:22 PM
Wouldn't thrallweed and devilwine overlap, though?
Wouldn't devilweed and thrallwine overlap, though? :smalltongue:

Mordaedil
2017-12-12, 02:20 AM
You should probably just pick the one that you feel fits your character better, if you can imagine your character smoking a rolled joint, then you go with devilweed, otherwise you have some wine that you drink to get a bit drunk before battle.

Same mechanics, but they both give a different feel for how you imagine your character.