PDA

View Full Version : looking for build advice warlock/paladin/rogue

n00b
2017-12-10, 10:38 AM
Hi Playgrounders! Long time lurker but first time poster. I was hoping some of you might chime in with input/advice on a build I want to play.

Hexblade 1/Paladin 2/Rogue x (Arcane Trickster)
Variant Human
13 / 14 / 13 / 8 / 10 / 16

What I'm looking to do is basically add Booming Blade and Smites to my Sneak Attack dice, using the Arcane Archer slots basically for Smite fuel. Definitely want it to be a melee build as opposed to ranged. It's a bit MAD but having the Hexblade first will let me use CHA for my attacks so hopefully that will reduce some of the dependencies.

My first question is, does this work? In my head it does. I realize I'm a little behind on Sneak Attack dice progression but the other things should work out ok. I would likely go Hexblade 2 sometime for the invocations but that's down the road.

My next question is actually my biggest concern. My DM likes Paladins (even partial ones) to be played in the "classical" sense. As in the Holy Avenger/Protector of the Innocent type also having a deity to guide them. How can I work in a Warlock Pact and Rogue into that? Alignment wise it would need to be close to LG as possible, possibly a LN or NG flavoring.

Input on background, flavoring, and mechanics (anything) is welcome!

Callin
2017-12-10, 12:53 PM
In 3.5 there was a rogue type prc for divines who did the dirty work of the church. I cant look it up right now but you could always do that.

n00b
2017-12-10, 10:42 PM
Working it out in my head more am I really gaining anything by taking the 2 level dip into Paladin? Maybe a handful of damage per round if I have spells slots available and 1AC from the fighting style? Is it worth delaying ASI and Sneak Attack dice?

Callin
2017-12-10, 11:00 PM
Not really. Ditch paladin and go for 3 Warlock 17 Rogue. Or 4 /16. If you want the asi

n00b
2017-12-12, 07:05 PM
I'm looking for this to be melee but will EB eventually outpace my BB + Sneak Attack?

bid
2017-12-12, 09:09 PM
What I'm looking to do is basically add Booming Blade and Smites to my Sneak Attack dice
Be careful with that. Rogues only have 1 attack to land their SA. Not getting a second attack from TWF (or other sources) can easily cost you 30% of your damage.

Chances of landing SA:
- with TWF ~ 88%
- without ~ 65%

Hyde
2017-12-12, 09:18 PM
It kinda works? I like the idea of it, anyway.

(The shadowbane Inquisitor was the prestige class, btw)

I feel like Sorcadin does it all better, though. I'm sure there's a math answer, but I'm not a math-answer person.

Snowbluff
2017-12-12, 09:33 PM
In 3.5 there was a rogue type prc for divines who did the dirty work of the church. I cant look it up right now but you could always do that.

What, like a Ruby Knight Vindicator?

#OP: Probably go find a Sunblade (versatile finesse), get the Two Hander style to sneak attack and smite with rerolling 1 and 2s on those dice. Maybe ask your DM if you can hexblade pact an intelligent holy avenger/excalibur to make some flavor. Arcane trickster works, because that just makes you a pragmatic fighter. If you're in Faerun, there are Paladins of Mystra called Mystic Fire Knights.

Hexblade gives shield, Paladin gives you more shield slots. Use that heavy armor, probably max Cha, with enough Str for armor and only enough dex and int for arcane trickster.

The problem is you'll probably want to take paladin to 6 for aura of protection (which also gets you an oath, channel devotion, bonus spells, extra attack which won't matter). That puts you at only 6d6 SA over 20 levels, but over all you'll have slots of a 7th level caster, which is how many Arcane trickster gets. :p

Callin
2017-12-12, 11:01 PM
Snowbluff! Its been way too long. Nah not talking about the RKV. Im talking about the one where you can trade spell slots for bonuses to stealth and got a few SA Dice and some other stealthy goodies. Or a Gray Guard.

n00b
2017-12-12, 11:08 PM
At this point I've decided to drop the Paladin dip and concentrate on Rogue. I might go Hexblade high enough to get 2nd attack but for the time being I'll stay at a level 1 or 2 dip. Taking mobile as 1 feat, still considering the other.

Citan
2017-12-13, 01:04 PM
Hi Playgrounders! Long time lurker but first time poster. I was hoping some of you might chime in with input/advice on a build I want to play.

Hexblade 1/Paladin 2/Rogue x (Arcane Trickster)
Variant Human
13 / 14 / 13 / 8 / 10 / 16

What I'm looking to do is basically add Booming Blade and Smites to my Sneak Attack dice, using the Arcane Archer slots basically for Smite fuel. Definitely want it to be a melee build as opposed to ranged. It's a bit MAD but having the Hexblade first will let me use CHA for my attacks so hopefully that will reduce some of the dependencies.

My first question is, does this work? In my head it does. I realize I'm a little behind on Sneak Attack dice progression but the other things should work out ok. I would likely go Hexblade 2 sometime for the invocations but that's down the road.

My next question is actually my biggest concern. My DM likes Paladins (even partial ones) to be played in the "classical" sense. As in the Holy Avenger/Protector of the Innocent type also having a deity to guide them. How can I work in a Warlock Pact and Rogue into that? Alignment wise it would need to be close to LG as possible, possibly a LN or NG flavoring.

Input on background, flavoring, and mechanics (anything) is welcome!

At this point I've decided to drop the Paladin dip and concentrate on Rogue. I might go Hexblade high enough to get 2nd attack but for the time being I'll stay at a level 1 or 2 dip. Taking mobile as 1 feat, still considering the other.
I think it's the easier way as well, especially since Arcane Trickster has few slots and its would usually be better spent on actual casting. ;)

One alternative though could have been to eat into Rogue to make a much more tri-class gish (like Paladin 3 / Blade Warlock 5 / Rogue 12 or Paladin 6-7 / Warlock 1 / Rogue 12-13) but it's much more slow to build up. Unless you are familiar with complex multiclass and fine with waiting a long time for some features, go with your revised opinion of just Warlock dip then full Rogue. ;=)