PDA

View Full Version : A real quick question on a race I;m brewing

stolenchariot
2007-08-20, 09:44 PM
Okay, i'm creating a raceI hope to be playable as a LA +0. The race's culture revolves around the sancity of death and opposition to the undead. I was thinking of addig a trait saying if one tries to raise their corpse as undead, they're alowed a will save to resist being raised, and on a similar note, forcing them to make a will save (DC 25 maybe. Still negotiable) if they attempt to become a sentient undead. Failure means the ritual fails, kills the subject, and deals 1d6 points of pemanent wisdom damage to anyone aiding them.

Too Powerful?

Paragon Badger
2007-08-20, 10:17 PM
I don't think that a 10 stat commoner is feasibly capable of killing a spellcaster capable of raising the dead...

Perhaps a lesser punishment for trying to raise a sentient corpse, maybe a few hit die worth of positive energy damage to the corpse raiser.

Ekeralos
2007-08-20, 10:17 PM
I'd make the DC be something like DC 10+1/2 level/HD+Cha or Con. modifier, but otherwise it doesn't seem too unbalanced. Maybe make the Wisdom drain scale with level.

stolenchariot
2007-08-20, 10:33 PM
well the main thing here was the fact the race in question gets a save against being animated as undead. The last part was mainly for members of the race that may decide to become liches or such.

Abjurer
2007-08-21, 04:22 PM
I would think that anyone who was a member of this race wouldn't want to become liches and stuff...

Harold
2007-08-21, 04:27 PM
I think one d6 wisdom damage is to much, if you put that down to one d4 I think it would be fine.

stolenchariot
2007-08-21, 05:05 PM
I would think that anyone who was a member of this race wouldn't want to become liches and stuff...

every race has its blacksheep though.

Storm Bringer
2007-08-21, 05:27 PM
every race has its blacksheep though.

yes, but what we are talking about is a cultural taboo, not a biological trait. the races spirit is activly trying to prevent the misuse of it;s former body though forve of will.

if the spirit is trying to become a liche, then it's not an issue.

stolenchariot
2007-08-21, 05:31 PM
I think I have everything fixed up. Any spell or effect that would transform them into an undead allows a will save. However, if the effect would also kill them prior to animation, they remain dead.