PDA

View Full Version : Question on find greater steed

Harrysonford
2017-12-10, 01:47 PM
So, find steed says that while mounted, the creature is limited to certain actions.
I don’t see this in the Find Greater Steed description. Does that mean that your steed has its own options of attacking and stuff?

Mjolnirbear
2017-12-10, 02:16 PM
So, find steed says that while mounted, the creature is limited to certain actions.
I don’t see this in the Find Greater Steed description. Does that mean that your steed has its own options of attacking and stuff?

To the best of my knowledge, the actions are limited by the Mounted Combat section. Your mounted is either independant (can attack) or controlled (limited actions).

A later tweet or column confirmed that despite being intelligent, creatures called by Find Steed are controlled while mounted (presumably because they do everything you say). If you wanted your Giant Elk to attack, you had to dismount, making the Mounted Combatant feat useless.

Nothing in Find Greater Steed challenges this.

In my games, controlled mounts can be given their heads. The mount becomes independant. Switching requires an action and, if circumstances are twitchy, an Animal Handling check. The Mounted Combat feat has been edited to allow this with a bonus action.

Zene
2017-12-11, 12:46 AM

My phb doesn’t say that find steed is limited. Was it errata’d? What actions is it limited to?

Tanarii
2017-12-11, 01:11 AM
"You control the mount in combat."

Controlled mounts follow the controlled mounts rules.

Avonar
2017-12-11, 05:32 AM
EDIT: Nope, I was wrong here. Looking at it, both spells would use the rules for controlled mounts.