PDA

View Full Version : question about potions

Zhepna
2017-12-10, 01:58 PM
Hi,

my wizard is specialized in crafting non-magic items and I would like to craft a gaunlet with potions inside it. As a free action, I could move a finger in a certain way to active the mechanism that inject one of the potion into my blood.

It'll looks a bit like this:https://twohornsunited.deviantart.com/art/Vulture-gauntlets-570082322

I was wondering, using this mechanism, could I use, by exemple, a potion of sanctuary http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sanctuary.htm

as a response to the dm saying the monster is attacking me. Since the spell casting time is one standard action, does it works?

I was wondering if I could integrate a mechanical system that see when my blood pression is low or something like that to inject me a potion of healing with my life is from -1 to -9.

I try to find cool non-magic stuff to do :)

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Zweisteine
2017-12-10, 03:05 PM
In general, potions only work by drinking them; you can't normally inject a potion. If you want a reason besides "magic," consider that potions come into effect long before they enter your bloodstream.

I'd be careful trying to break the action economy like that. At best, I would allow you to upgrade potions to a move action. Supposing you had a working potion injector, if you wanted to use it in response to an attack, you would have to prepare the action, at the cost of your standard action for the round—the action economy is too important to break so easily.

If you want a basis to work from, look into Dunegonscape's oil chambers; it's basically what you want, but for applying poisons to weapons.

I would recommend specializing in "non-magical" items—items that don't appear magical, but actually are. Or be an artificer.

Thurbane
2017-12-10, 04:50 PM
Bloodspikes (Magic of Eberron, p.139) kinda-sorta but inject alchemical substances rather than potions.

There's also Potion Bladders (DotU, p.92), which allow you to take a potion "hands-free".

Kurald Galain
2017-12-10, 05:09 PM
I was wondering, using this mechanism, could I use, by exemple, a potion of sanctuary http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sanctuary.htm

as a response to the dm saying the monster is attacking me. Since the spell casting time is one standard action, does it works?

D&D is not Magic: the Gathering. That is, you cannot declare an action after getting attacked and have the action occur before you get attacked (unless a feat or spell explicitly states otherwise, but that's fairly rare).

Using the effect at the end of your own turn should work, but then the monster might get a spellcraft check to figure out what's going on (and decide to attack somebody else, depending on how smart he is). Readying an action should also work, but of course that costs you a standard action.

rel
2017-12-11, 12:41 AM
So you want to homebrew an immediate action potion injector? I like it.
I think getting more actions makes the game more fun.

Here is a quick idea for you to use or work with.

first up, a standard potion won't cut it. They are designed to be quaffed and their effects take too long to manifest for the application you suggest.
You need to craft any potion you want to inject specifically for that purpose.
Lets call these instant use potions quicksilver potions. They function as and are made like normal potions except for the following:
-they cost an extra 1000GP + an additional 1000GP for each level of the spell in the potion.
-They can only be crafted at up to 1/2 your CL so you need to be at least lvl 2 to make 1st level quicksilver potion

Next you need an injector, a piece of clockwork to rapidly and effectively administer potions.
Loading a potion into the injector takes a standard action.
Activating the injector deals 1hp of damage and injects you with the potion as an immediate action.
The injector can hold a single potion inside it, costs 500gp, weighs 2lb and consumes a gauntlet slot (although you can still use your hand).

More expensive versions that can hold 2 or even 3 potions at once exist although you can never administer (or load) more than 1 potion with a single immediate (or standard) action.

There is in my experience some contention as to whether an immediate or readied action can be used to invalidate someone else's turn. I suggest you talk it over with the people you play with and find a solution that works for you.

Bronk
2017-12-11, 08:54 AM
It sounds like you're looking for the 'Ready Drink Helm' from Dragon Magazine 295, page 75.

It looks like a beer hat, fits 6 potions, allows two to be readied at any given time, lets you drink potions that are in position as a free action, and costs 150g.

rel
2017-12-11, 08:59 PM
Just remember free is not immediate. You can't drink from your beer hat in response to someone attacking you.