PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Archtype - is it possible to mix these two?

Morukai
2017-12-10, 06:08 PM
Sanctified Slayer and Umbral Stalker are two Inquisitor archetypes.

The Umbral Stalker gets a Stalking judgement that replaces the Justice Inquisitor judgement. So far so good.

The Sanctified Slayer "gains the slayer’s studied target class feature" and it replaces "Judgement 1/day", and other abilities that replace the remaining "per day" Judgement iterations for Inquisitor.

Now, I know you can't take two archetypes if one conflicts with the other, but strictly speaking, these seem to modify two different things - one changes a judgement that an inquisitor can select (Umbral), and the other changes the times per day an Inquisitor can use judgement. However, I can also see the "no two archetypes can replace or alter the same class feature" getting in the way of this, since one could argue that each archtype replaces or alters Judgement.

Do these conflict or are they compatible?

Wartex1
2017-12-10, 06:09 PM
I am by no means a rules wizard, but they should stack.

legomaster00156
2017-12-10, 06:53 PM
By RAW, they are incompatible... but RAW is stupid, and should be reconsidered by your GM as appropriate.

Geddy2112
2017-12-10, 07:45 PM
Yeah, RAW you can't mix the two because they are both affecting/impacting the same thing, but I second that rules like this are dumb and that any reasonable DM would allow it.

My table normally allows this-when one archetype replaces something, and another modifies it, you take the one that replaces and ignores the modified class feature. So long as two archetypes are not directly replacing a class feature.

Plus umbral stalker and sanctified slayer should totally mix, because it is thematically bad-ass to have a religion of zealous hitmen that lurk in the shadows.

grarrrg
2017-12-10, 09:21 PM
There's a FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rai) for that.
Officially no, but they recognize that certain combinations should be ok anyway. Ask your DM.

Morukai
2017-12-11, 12:44 AM
Plus umbral stalker and sanctified slayer should totally mix, because it is thematically bad-ass to have a religion of zealous hitmen that lurk in the shadows.

Exactly my thoughts too. Hopefully, he'll be on board with that.

I'm really torn between the Sanctified Slayer/Umbral Stalker mix and just a straight Slayer (possibly with an archetype like Stygian, or maybe Stygian/Sniper)... the original concept was a Dhampir Inquisitor (Kinslayer) but another player is going for the melee Paladin (greatsword/power attack/cleave etc), so instead of doubling up on the "big 2h weapon/rip evil guys at close range" thing, I've decided to make an archer-ish guy who can also take on scouting roles. Attack from the shadows sort of thing.

We are playing in Ustalav, and I have no doubt we will face plenty of undead. I've never been big on animal companions, or I'd consider a ranger as an alternative... for me, it comes down to this:

Inquisitor (with the archetypes mentioned) gets some decent archery plus sneakystuff, and still keeps Bane and casting, and could maybe function as rogue-ish at higher levels, but it's pretty feat-thin.
Slayer gets better archery, some sneakystuff (especially if I go Stygian), gets no casting but gets other cool abilities (talents) and could double as a rogue with some cool talents, which also cover much of the archery feat stuff.

Thoughts?

Psyren
2017-12-11, 01:06 AM
There's a FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rai) for that.
Officially no, but they recognize that certain combinations should be ok anyway. Ask your DM.

This. The rule is there for more hesitant GMs to have some ammunition when saying "no" and for PFS GMs to have fewer archetype combinations to pore through. Experienced GMs can and should feel free to disregard any rule or guideline they want.