PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Spell Incantation.

Eddieddi
2017-12-10, 06:13 PM
Hay, So, A friend of mine is running a Homebrew game, and the mages in that game have to come up with their own incantations. I'm not very good at coming up with them, so far my mage mostly relies on 'flame, blast, burn!' Which is a super basic fireball. So I'm asking you guys, favorite spell incantations? And their effects? As long as you guys want, so long as they aren't from a super popular anime (if my DM spots a 'ripped' spell he tells us off).

2017-12-10, 08:45 PM
Hay, So, A friend of mine is running a Homebrew game, and the mages in that game have to come up with their own incantations. I'm not very good at coming up with them, so far my mage mostly relies on 'flame, blast, burn!' Which is a super basic fireball. So I'm asking you guys, favorite spell incantations? And their effects? As long as you guys want, so long as they aren't from a super popular anime (if my DM spots a 'ripped' spell he tells us off).

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/920/381/7b6.gif

Thanqol
2017-12-10, 08:51 PM
Anything Doctor Strange says. (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Spells_and_Phrases)

Blackhawk748
2017-12-10, 08:55 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/920/381/7b6.gif

Good old Uncle

Personal favorite:

My Magecraft is a Cage of Flames
A flaming yet verdant giant
Retribution.
A shrine that purifies the evil of human affairs
The one who destroys...Wicker Man!

Dont use this is your DM has watched Fate/Grand Order First Order

2D8HP
2017-12-10, 09:33 PM
"Round about the cauldron go:
In the poisoned entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Sweated venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i’ the charmed pot.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and owlet's wing.
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf,
Witch's mummy, maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark,
Root of hemlock digg'd i’ the dark,
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat; and slips of yew

Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingredients of our cauldron.

Double, double toil and trouble,

Cool it with a baboon's blood,

Then the charm is firm and good."

Song of the Witches
by
William Shakespeare

From Macbeth, Act IV, Scene 1

danzibr
2017-12-11, 07:18 AM
I ran a game where the party had Immovable Rods (or whatever they're called), and they had an activation word, and I had them say, "Yo ho metal bar go!"

lunaticfringe
2017-12-11, 09:44 PM
Verbal Component for my wizard player's 5e Shield Spell

****! (It's the f word).

In case you are not familiar Shield raises your AC and is used as a Reaction to a potential hit, possibly turning it into a miss.

I'm partial to Klaatu Varada Nikto which is Ash's mispronounciation of the magic phrase in Evil Dead. Borrowed from the Day the Earth Stood Still.

I also like to silly & nonsensical phrases from other languages. Latin is my go to but I have used Spanish and German too.

DavidSh
2017-12-12, 09:28 AM
As long as you guys want, so long as they aren't from a super popular anime (if my DM spots a 'ripped' spell he tells us off).

So the Dragon Slave spell from Slayers is right out?
Pity.

Telonius
2017-12-13, 03:50 PM
You could always go with the classic, "Klaatu Barada Nik..." <<cough>>

Look up random names of villages in Germany or Italy, depending on what flavor Draconic your table likes. "Bielefeld" is a great one for Mirage Arcana.

VincentTakeda
2017-12-14, 07:11 PM
My go to option lately is to take the fundamental effects of the spell, and use google translate to get the words in russian. Just love the sound of it for some reason.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-12-15, 09:24 AM
Look up random names of villages in Germany

In my experience this works really well for curse words (Ransbach Darmstadt Würzburg Putzbrunn Memmingen Schweinfurt Vaterstetten!), but since curses are a form of incantations...

Jormengand
2017-12-15, 10:11 AM
Silly suggestion: If you think that Tales of Phantasia is obscure enough that your DM won't get it, it contains the most memey incantation ever:

"I dwell amidst the abounding light of heaven! Thou art at the gates to the underworld! Come forth, thunder of the gods! It ends here! INDIGNATION!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfQOrVdlEec)

(You need to watch the video to see why it's funny.)

Sensible suggestion: I always liked the incantations from Neverwinter Nights, which had different incantations for different schools and whether the spell was high level (IIRC at least 6th) or not:

High Abjuration/Conjuration: "Obidie! Davorah! Ses'kah!
Low Abjuration/Conjuration: "Obidie! Bedua! Val'kat!"
High Enchantment/Transmutation: "Meyon! Te'trah! Glaash!"
Low Enchantment/Transmutation: "Gorak! Vu'vocane!"
High Evocation: "Ebool! Soleno! Samatka!"
Low Evocation: "Fortano! Fordygema!"
High Illusion: "Kheil! Copheem! Safine!"
Low Illusion: "Feytas! Vegal! Esca!"
High Necromancy: "Kraa! Sestu! Verkor!"
Low Necromancy: "Nerkul! Ertragh! Egola!"

KillingAScarab
2017-12-15, 12:00 PM
Sensible suggestion: I always liked the incantations from Neverwinter Nights, which had different incantations for different schools and whether the spell was high level (IIRC at least 4th) or not:

High Conjuration: "Obidie! Davorah! Ses'kah!
Low Conjuration: "Obidie! Bedua! Val'kat!"
High Enchantment: "Meyon! Te'trah! Glaash!"
Low Enchantment: "Gorak! Vu'vocane!"

For some reason, Abjuration doesn't seem to have them, or at least they're not in the standard place in the list of files (I didn't cast enough abjurations to be able to tell you, honestly). But I always liked these.I played quite a bit of NWN, but never did pick up on this division in spell sound effects. Might have something to do with being on the receiving end of spells more often than the caster side.

Each spell in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the GameCube requires 3, 5 or 7 glyphs which are used in casting, and the name of each is spoken aloud (not by you but by something else) during the process of casting. There are glyphs for the subject, the general effect and an alignment the name of the elder deity you're drawing power from. I would replace the 3rd one with something like a spell school, but you need to find what each of these would be in your "language." In Eternal Darkness, the additional 2 or 4 glyphs involved with the 5 and 7 glyph versions are actually all just the glyph for "power" that modify the original effect of the 3 glyph version.

JeenLeen
2017-12-18, 03:16 PM
In the video game Valkyrie Profile, each spell had an incantation that is said when you do it as a 'super move' (I forget the term in the game.) You can probably find them in Youtube. Some of them are pretty cool. However, they're a bit long for playing in a game.

I like it when the incantations are linked to the spell system. For the homebrew, why does each mage have their individual incantation? Does it channel the power in some personal way? Do the words/tone matter, or does whatever work? I'd like the answers to things like that to effect the spells.
In the game Eternal Darkness (I think that's the title, at least), the magic is based on combining syllables to make different spells, linked in circles of 3, 5, 7 (guessing again; been a while). To cast the spell, the character recites the syllables. Seemed real cool for the game.

EDIT: realized the person above me already referred to Eternal Darkness. Yep, I meant the same game.

KillingAScarab
2017-12-19, 01:47 AM
In the game Eternal Darkness (I think that's the title, at least), the magic is based on combining syllables to make different spells, linked in circles of 3, 5, 7 (guessing again; been a while). To cast the spell, the character recites the syllables. Seemed real cool for the game.

EDIT: realized the person above me already referred to Eternal Darkness. Yep, I meant the same game.We're Eternal Darkness friends now.
*sanity decreases*
Or are you a bonethief?

Ilmarë
2017-12-19, 07:36 PM
When in doubt, just translate things into Latin. It doesn't need to be relevant. It can even be something like "Da mihi fermentum"

Jormengand
2017-12-19, 07:49 PM
The Latin and Russian translation thing got me thinking: in the Inheritance books (and to an extent in D&D 3.5, with truenamers) a spell's incantation is literally a description of what you want the spell to do. In Inheritance This was a safety feature so that "If you said "Burn that door" while thinking about me, the spell would still burn the door and not me." Incantations aren't strictly necessary, but most people have to use them. whereas in D&D it's literally telling the universe what to do.

In Inheritance the descriptions could be as long or as short as you like, with longer ones usually reserved for trying to do very complicated things (if you want to set someone on fire you can literally just yell "Fire!" at them in the Ancient Language) whereas in D&D it's implied they have to be unambiguous and full sentences ("Set fire to the closest goblin to the door out of the ones that I can see,") because they're actual instructions.

And, of course, the difference in what an actual true name can do is immense - in Inheritance it provides you with full control of a creature, whereas in D&D it provides you with the ability to use an utterance with a slightly harder save, if the utterance even allowed one (most of them didn't).

If you want the incantations to be in a language you can speak, you can either make them short descriptions of what you want to do ("Burn!" "Break!" "Control!") or make them actual instructions to the universe ("Burn the closest orc to me!" "Break down that door!" "Control the king!"). It'd be somewhat amusing to have a short-tempered mage who treats the universe like a strong but dim-witted ally who needs constant direction in battle.

Ilmarë
2017-12-19, 08:07 PM
On that note, I'd still prefer an actual foreign language like Latin to a poorly done conlang like the Ancient Language. It's mostly a 1-to-1 correspondence with English.

Jormengand
2017-12-19, 08:49 PM
On that note, I'd still prefer an actual foreign language like Latin to a poorly done conlang like the Ancient Language. It's mostly a 1-to-1 correspondence with English.

Oh yeah, though technically you can make some fantasy conlangs work (Tolkien's Elven, I believe, is complete, and I think the masterminds behind making Game of Thrones into a series made Dothraki a real language too. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Aklo is not). I was mostly just pointing out different ways that incantations have been done.

pendell
2017-12-22, 07:56 AM
My favorite was from a YA book of my youth, I will make you disappear (https://www.amazon.com/I-Will-Make-You-Disappear/dp/0553150480)

By the seven powers of the seven darknesses, I will make you disappear. Mandrake root and pure earth; I will make you disappear. All that is known to the darkness and the seven powers of the seven darknesses take you, take you, take you.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

NovenFromTheSun
2017-12-24, 03:42 AM
Alright, grab a black pearl, some red moss, a clove of garlic, ginseng, a mandrake root, some nightshade, an ounce of spider silk, and some sulfurous ash and repeat after me:

"Vas kal an mani in corp hur tym."

ArlEammon
2017-12-25, 04:01 AM
Ah nal nathrack, utthe be bethutte, doth el envay!

http://i.imgur.com/dMn6vj6.jpg?2 (https://imgur.com/dMn6vj6)

georgie_leech
2017-12-25, 07:20 AM
In the video game Valkyrie Profile, each spell had an incantation that is said when you do it as a 'super move' (I forget the term in the game.) You can probably find them in Youtube. Some of them are pretty cool. However, they're a bit long for playing in a game.

I like it when the incantations are linked to the spell system. For the homebrew, why does each mage have their individual incantation? Does it channel the power in some personal way? Do the words/tone matter, or does whatever work? I'd like the answers to things like that to effect the spells.

EDIT: realized the person above me already referred to Eternal Darkness. Yep, I meant the same game.

More Eternal Darkness buddies! Also, Great Magic is what you were thinking of. Some of them blur the line a bit between incantation and taunt though.
"No mercy for the damned
Thus thou hast no escape
From the grasp of calamity"

Is right on the edge. Meanwhile, "Ye must desire respite from thine empty existance. Thou shalt have it," is pretty clearly over that line.:smalltongue:

KillingAScarab
2017-12-25, 08:00 AM
More Eternal Darkness buddies!We should get together sometime. Want to meet in that room where the floor screams, or the Trapper Dimension?
Chattur'gha
Bankorok
Redgormor

Grand Arbiter
2017-12-25, 09:28 AM
"Treguna Mekoides Trecorum Satis Dee"

Best used for animate objects spells :smallwink:

ArlEammon
2017-12-27, 07:45 AM
"Treguna Mekoides Trecorum Satis Dee"

Best used for animate objects spells :smallwink:

Angela Lansbury is my favorite witch.

Bastian Weaver
2017-12-27, 08:39 AM
Naur an edraith ammen.

Also,

Ast kirannan kair soth-arn suh kali jalaran.

Jay R
2017-12-27, 11:31 AM
"Meeska, mooska, Mouseketeer.
Mousecartoon time now is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRNNb1kRpQ)."

Ebon_Drake
2017-12-28, 04:32 PM
Sensible suggestion: I always liked the incantations from Neverwinter Nights, which had different incantations for different schools and whether the spell was high level (IIRC at least 4th) or not:

For some reason, Abjuration doesn't seem to have them, or at least they're not in the standard place in the list of files (I didn't cast enough abjurations to be able to tell you, honestly). But I always liked these.

Baldur's Gate did the same thing with one chant per school, but using Latin:

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes" or "Truth, I trust my eyes"
2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth" or "I, protecting, bring change"
3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without" or "I separate life from death"
4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind" or "I know, I have learned, I seek [to know more]"
5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare" or "I prepare a powerful hand"
6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command" or "I control beautiful mysteries"
7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth" or "I make, I call, I bring"
8 ) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me" or "I desire bravery; let it be permitted!"

(That's copypasta, the translations may not be 100%)

BWR
2017-12-30, 07:11 PM
"Piss off"
- John Constantine exorcising a ghost

Xuc Xac
2017-12-31, 02:35 AM
Ah nal nathrack, utthe be bethutte, doth el envay!

http://i.imgur.com/dMn6vj6.jpg?2 (https://imgur.com/dMn6vj6)

It's Gaelic. "Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha."

Eurus
2017-12-31, 02:48 AM

For some reason, Abjuration doesn't seem to have them, or at least they're not in the standard place in the list of files (I didn't cast enough abjurations to be able to tell you, honestly). Abjuration uses the same ones as Conjuration. But I always liked these.

Is that what determined the incantation? Heh, that explains why the ones I remember best are the conjuration and evocation incantations. Those were great.

BWR
2017-12-31, 03:48 AM

Gaelic: for those who think French spelling is too easy.

KillingAScarab
2017-12-31, 05:29 AM
Is that what determined the incantation? Heh, that explains why the ones I remember best are the conjuration and evocation incantations. Those were great."Fortano! Fordygema!" signaled the start of a Rush (http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Gedlee%27s_electric_loop) album, right?

Jormengand
2017-12-31, 01:32 PM
Is that what determined the incantation? Heh, that explains why the ones I remember best are the conjuration and evocation incantations. Those were great.

Yep. I sorta figured this out after a bit, and in the second instance that's how they're listed in the Toolset, for those who care enough to work it out (the abj/conj ones are listed as conj, which is why I had to go actually cast some abjurations to check.)

Hey, French is not nearly as bad as English. At least it's mostly consistent, whereas we have to deal with "Æther" "Aether" and "Ether" being variant spellings of the same word and therefore pronounced the same, whereas "Ætherial" "Aetherial" and "Ethereal" are also pronounced the same as each other, but the first syllable is pronounced differently from in the noun. And neither of the ae sounds is pronounced like in aeroplane.

2D8HP
2017-12-31, 08:16 PM

"Serpent's breath, charm of death and life"

I loved Excalibur!

Okay, another incantation:

"Nunc, per Potestatem Hermeticum -- ex flammis, ferrum sangrinarium!"

(From Dragonslayer)

Bohandas
2018-01-01, 01:16 AM
Crossposted from Stupid House Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21824103&postcount=915) and DM's Aid: Share Your Campaign, Plothook, and Encounter Ideas (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482528-DM-s-Aid-Share-Your-Campaign-Plothook-and-Encounter-Ideas/page8)

This reminds me, I actually made up a table of random mystic gibberish from various sources awhile back for randomly generating verbal components

01.) Ashonai.
02.) Ebiris.
03.) 0Urshoring.
04.) Kvanti.
05.) Pythan.
06.) N'gurad.
07.) Feringomalee

08.) Azerath
09.) Metrion
10.) Zinthos

11.) Tatra
12.) amistrobin
13.) azarta,
14.) tatis
15.) manor
16.) manziz
17.) hounaz,
18.) ansobar
19.) saman
20.) darobza
21.) dahir
22.) saika
23.) danz
24.) deroza,
25.) kandar

26.) Kunda.
27.) Astratta.
28.) Montosse.
29.) Canda

30.) klaatu
31.) barata
32.) nikto

33.) N'gai
34.) n'gha
35.) 'ghaa,
36.) bugg-shoggog,
37.) y'hah

38.) Abra
39.) kadabra
40.) alakazam
41.) Aajaye
42.) Shemhamforash
43.) hocus
44.) pocus

45.) mecca
46.) lecca
47.) hi,
48.) hiney
49.) ho

50.) sim
51.) sala
52.) bim

52.) Bibbidi
53.) Bobbidi
54.) Boo

55.) Shazam

56.) Cei-u

57.) Yu
58.) Mo
59.) Gui
60.) Guay
61.) Fai
62.) Di
63.) Zao

64.) FUs
65.) Ro
66.) Da

67.) Feim
68.) Zii
69.) Gron

70.) Joor
71.) Zah
72.) Frul

73.) Wuld
74.) Nah
75.) Kest

76.) Nahl
77.) Dal
78.) Vus

79.) Slen
80.) Tiid
81.) Vo

82.) Lok
83.) Vah
84.) Koor

85.) Hun
86.) Kaal
87.) Zor

88.) Od
89.) Ah
90.) Viing

91.) Laas
92.) Yah
93.) Nir

94.) Ph
95.) Nglui
96.) Mglwnafh
97.) Wgah
98.) nagl

99.) Ni
100) Peng
101) Nee-wom

(somatic components could in turn be adapted from this (http://retrohelix.com/2013/08/super-ultra-ultimate-rock-paper-scissors/))

Bohandas
2018-01-01, 03:51 PM
From Slayers

"Thou who art darker than even darkness,
Thou who art deeper than even the night!
Thou, the Sea of Chaos, who drifts upon it,
Golden Lord of Darkness!
Hereby I call to thee,
Hereby I swear before thee!
Those who would stand against us,
All those who are fools,
By the power you and I possess,
Grant destruction equally upon them all!
GIGA SLAVE!"

From Beetlejuice the Animated Series

Though I know I should be wary
Still I wander someplace scary
Ghostly haunting I turn loose
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

From the 1970 movie version of The Dunwich Horror

LAND OF LIGHT...
THE ARMY OF DARKNESS
SHALL SWEEP DOWN.
THEY ARE GATHERED LIKE
A HORDE OF AVENGERS,
LIFE WITHIN LIFE,
THE POWER THAT SUMMONS.
COME BACK, OLD ONES...
PRINCES OF DARKNESS,
AND REPOSSESS THE EARTH.
YOG-SOTHOTH.
YOG-SOTHOTH.
YOG-SOTHOTH.
I SUMMON YOU.
COME, BROTHER OF DARKNESS.
LEAVE YOUR PRISON
AND HELP ME
BRING THE OLD ONES THROUGH.
BROTHER OF MY BLOOD,
MY SOUL, I SUMMON YOU.
THE TIME HAS ARRIVED.
NOW WE WAIT NO LONGER.
WE MUST ACT.
UPON THIS SACRIFICE,
SHALL THE JOURNEY BEGIN.
"YOG-O-OTH. YOG-O-OTH.
"JOIN THE CIRCLE,
COMPLETE THE CHAIN.
"YOG-SOTHOTH IS THE GATE
"WHEREBY THE SPHERES MEET.
"AND WITH THE GATE OPEN,
"THE OLD ONES SHALL BE.
"MAN RULES NOW
WHERE THEY RULED ONCE.
"THEY WAIT,
PATIENT AND POTENT,
"FOR HERE THEY SHALL
REIGN AGAIN,
"AND RULE WHERE THEY
ONCE WALKED.
"THE OLD ONES
BROKE THROUGH OF OLD,
"AND THEY SHALL
BREAK THROUGH AGAIN."
YOG-SOTHOTH!

From Rogue One

"I am one with The Force and The Force is with me..."

From Dadid Lynch's adaptation of Dune

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion
It is by the juice of saphu the thoughts aquire speed
the lips acquire stains the stains become a warning
it is by will alone I set my mind in motion

From the Young Ones episode "Boring"

"Dominus ad nauseum. Dominus ad nauseum. Dominus ad nauseum. Dominus ad nauseum. Dominus ad nauseum. Dominus ad nauseum..."

From the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh episode "A Knight to Remember"

"Magnificent magic most mysterious make meek me make a monster into mozzarella marmalade"

From the Star Trek episode "The Children Shall Lead"

"Hail! Hail! fire and snow
Call the angel we will go
Far away for to see
Friendly angel come to me"

JeenLeen
2018-01-03, 12:42 PM
Hey, French is not nearly as bad as English. At least it's mostly consistent, whereas we have to deal with "Æther" "Aether" and "Ether" being variant spellings of the same word and therefore pronounced the same, whereas "Ætherial" "Aetherial" and "Ethereal" are also pronounced the same as each other, but the first syllable is pronounced differently from in the noun. And neither of the ae sounds is pronounced like in aeroplane.

Huh. As a linguistic note, I realize that I do prounce the nouns all the same, with a silent 'a'. BUT I pronounce all three of those adjectives differently. I pronounce 'ethereal' with the same opening sound as 'ether'.
I'm NOT stating my pronunciation is correct, but I found that an odd detail after reading your post and thinking about it.

Hmm... I could see a setting where rules of grammar are dictated primarily by what makes magic work and what doesn't. If written: Leave out that Oxford comma, and you accidentally targeted two groups instead of causing two different effects. If spoken: Slight mispronunciation, and the spell fails or has a weakened/unintended effect.

PopeLinus1
2018-01-03, 08:39 PM
https://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html

Read phrases randomly, in increasingly dramatic and vocal tones before collapsing to the ground and twitching.

Sinewmire
2018-01-05, 12:09 PM
"Nonesuch! Gibberish! Bunkum! Gobblygoos!"

Nothing like some faux latin for evil deeds. (Thanks for the IFCC for that)

danzibr
2018-01-05, 07:53 PM
Baldur's Gate did the same thing with one chant per school, but using Latin:

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes" or "Truth, I trust my eyes"
2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth" or "I, protecting, bring change"
3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without" or "I separate life from death"
4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind" or "I know, I have learned, I seek [to know more]"
5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare" or "I prepare a powerful hand"
6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command" or "I control beautiful mysteries"
7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth" or "I make, I call, I bring"
8 ) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me" or "I desire bravery; let it be permitted!"

(That's copypasta, the translations may not be 100%)
Huh. Did not know.

The vita Morris carrots (ty auto correct) is the most familiar due to healing.

2D8HP
2018-01-14, 01:04 AM
“Cast a spell, weave it well of dust and dew and night and you."

The Queen of Air and Darkness by Poul Anderson

Jay R
2018-01-15, 02:45 PM
Salagadoola, menchicka boola, bibbidi-bobbidi-boo.
It'll do magic, believe it or not - bibbidi-bobbidi-boo.

Or you could go with the classics:

Tim! Tim! Benzedrine! Hash! Boo! Valvoline!
Clean! Clean! Clean for Gene!
First, second, neutral, park,
Hie thee hence, you leafy narc!

Bohandas
2018-01-15, 07:07 PM
From the Evil Dead TV show

Buena buena medicina
Buena buena lux divina

Sinewmire
2018-01-19, 10:37 AM
I quite like Warcraft's languages Sindorei for spellcasting, especially fire spells.

Selema ashal'anore!
Anar endal-Dracone! - Fire breath (dragon breath spell)
Felo'men Ashal! - Flame strike

DavidSh
2018-01-21, 11:27 AM
I'm partial to aus außer bei mit nach seit von zu!. But I don't have any results attached to it.

VincentTakeda
2018-01-21, 10:05 PM
We are no longer the knights who say Ni

(ni ni ni ni! no no no no!)

We are now the knights who say

Ecki ecki ecki zhoop boingoodeng zhiackla zhiv... NI!

(ni ni ni)

Eurus
2018-01-21, 10:10 PM
A little rhyme from Abarat. Sounds silly, but it's oddly easy to remember.

“Ithni asme ata,
Ithni manamee,
Drutha lotacata,”
Come thou glyph to me.
Ithni, ithni,
Asme ata:
Come thou glyph to me.”

EDIT: And another one that just came to mind, if you like Welsh poetry repurposed for odd movies:

"Bet y March, bet y Guythur, bet y Gugaun, Cledyfrutm anoeth bid."

Elannwyn
2018-01-27, 11:08 PM
My irl gaming group (3.5e d&d) is a bit irreverent. While we largely play straight in the game, all of our spellcaster incantations are goofy real world references.

My web spell incantation for example is (of course): 'With great power comes great responsibility',
Grease is 'You're the one that I want' (sung enthusiastically as in the musical), and Dispel Magic is 'Bye Felicia', etc.

Obviously not for everyone but we've sure had fun with it!

hymer
2018-01-28, 05:08 AM
"Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurhoth!"

Could perhaps be translted with "Awake, fire, and save us! Fire against the werewolf host!" The downside is that you basically have to know Sindarin, and change 'ngaurhoth' into whatever it is you need to be saved from.
I can't believe we got this far in this thread without this reference being brought up. What is the world coming to?

Braininthejar2
2018-01-28, 06:23 AM
Turn undead from my old campaign.

"No death without life.
No life without death!
You who exist in mockery of life,
Bow to Death, and perish!"

And for something more comedic:

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/122

Braininthejar2
2018-01-28, 06:30 AM
http://sam-theundefinedentity.tumblr.com/post/105697106910/futendaisatsury%C5%8D-the-flower-and-the-fish-in-the

Mutazoia
2018-01-28, 08:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4WffLH9UMs

Hey...could be worse....it could be Welsh....

Lord Torath
2018-01-28, 10:12 AM
Oh wah. Tah goo. Sigh am!

(From B9 - Castle Caldwell and Phineas and Ferb - Are You My Mummy?)

Say it fast!

Segev
2018-01-28, 11:00 AM
agicmay issilemay! (Magic Missile)

armchay ersonpay! (Charm Person)

isintegratday! (disintigrate)

Also, yes, do look into Eternal Darkness and its runes and casting structure if you want something that sounds magical and can be pretty well adapted: http://www.ign.com/wikis/eternal-darkness-sanitys-requiem/Runes

Finally, you could just try having your spell incantation be a command to 'magic' in general to do what you want.

"I call forth fire at thirty paces to engulf my foes."

"I invoke my right of dominion over the air that I may fly."

"Shatter this barrier."

Jay R
2018-01-28, 11:10 AM
If my character had a spell to teleport him out of danger, I would undoubtedly use:

"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome,
Time for this one to come home (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTH0b_90cUA)."

ross
2018-01-28, 11:26 AM
http://i.cubeupload.com/lSHAUo.png

Hellpyre
2018-01-29, 01:45 PM
If you're looking to have to do them for a whole spell list, I recommend making a thematic base where you can replace the relevant portion by subatitution

As an example, Guild Wars item spells followed the formula "[Adjective] was [Proper Noun]", and fluff wise was channeling spirits.

I had a character who believed all magic was merely part of a universal Song of Magic that needed incantations, and I just followed a pattern of "I sing of [X] and [Y]." for lower level and "My song is one of [X]." for higher level magic. Then I just plugged in descriptors on a spell-by-spell basis.

Lapak
2018-01-29, 01:57 PM
My favorite thing for this kind of system is to grab a rhyming dictionary for useful nouns/verbs and use rhyming couplets for everything. Particularly if the system lets you generate effects on the fly.

“Light and heat and evil’s bane,
Summon forth a gout of flame!”

“Be ye nimble, sharp and and fleet,
Slip out from under you your feet!”

“Names of four winds do I know
All at once here let them blow!”

Etc.

Segev
2018-01-30, 02:23 PM
Just use the Pledge of Allegiance for every single spell. Claim there's nuance in the inflection of each word that dictates which spell it is.

>_> <_<

Prime32
2018-02-01, 01:36 PM
Since it has observable effects in-setting, I like the idea of "spell level" being the number of lines in the incantation. E.g. a 3rd-level spell is three sentences long, and metamagic adds extra lines. You might end up with something like...

Fire, gather at my hand.
Shoot forth and strike my foes!

All of my will is yours,
And all of thy strength is mine.
Frost, gather at my hand.
Shoot forth and strike my foes!
Heed this command!

Mutazoia
2018-02-02, 07:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqvRrKcEhD4

Concrete
2018-02-15, 02:22 PM
Min Hatt!
Den har Tre! Kanter!
Tre kanter har min hatt!
Och har den EJ tre kanter
Så är den ej min hatt!

It's one of those old folk-lorish spells from my homeland. It's supposed to be used in conjunction with tracing a triangle around your head every time you say "tre" to invoke the holy trinity,and protect you from trolls and other old evil.
It's mostly whispered under your breath, but speaking it out loud sounds better. You should use it for a protection spell or something.

Segev
2018-02-15, 04:29 PM
Min Hatt!
Den har Tre! Kanter!
Tre kanter har min hatt!
Och har den EJ tre kanter
Så är den ej min hatt!

It's one of those old folk-lorish spells from my homeland. It's supposed to be used in conjunction with tracing a triangle around your head every time you say "tre" to invoke the holy trinity,and protect you from trolls and other old evil.
It's mostly whispered under your breath, but speaking it out loud sounds better. You should use it for a protection spell or something.

Or as a protection spell against the entity summoned thusly:

Triangulum, entangulum. Meteforis dominus ventium. Meteforis venetisarium!

egassem sdrawkcab!

georgie_leech
2018-02-16, 03:15 PM
Since it has observable effects in-setting, I like the idea of "spell level" being the number of lines in the incantation. E.g. a 3rd-level spell is three sentences long, and metamagic adds extra lines. You might end up with something like...

Please just don't do the full Eternal Darkness method. The idea is awesome, but moving beyond Verb Noun Element is dull in-game. They just ham the word Power in there as often as possible.

Segev
2018-02-16, 04:35 PM
Please just don't do the full Eternal Darkness method. The idea is awesome, but moving beyond Verb Noun Element is dull in-game. They just ham the word Power in there as often as possible.

Eternal Darkness limited it by how many points in your spell-circle you could generate.

Xuc Xac
2018-02-16, 05:01 PM
Eternal Darkness limited it by how many points in your spell-circle you could generate.

It would work well with "casting time" rules. More words make more powerful spells, but also take longer to incant.

Bohandas
2018-02-16, 08:50 PM
Just use the Pledge of Allegiance for every single spell. Claim there's nuance in the inflection of each word that dictates which spell it is.

>_> <_<

There was an old Star Trek episode where a cult used the pledge of allegiance as a prayer

Batou1976
2018-02-16, 10:08 PM
See if you can use this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5eDyEEjw5w) as your verbal component.

ArlEammon
2018-02-17, 11:26 AM
"Anaal nathrach, orth' bhais's bethad, do che'l de'nmha."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4I_zbi3Sak

PopeLinus1
2018-02-17, 01:04 PM
Earth Elimental, I choose yooooooou!

jhonny
2018-02-23, 07:53 PM
From Total Annihilation kingdom: Rhene blet itze Babarote / Tempus Phara Curva

In por ylem / an ex por / In nox / kal vas flam

Bohandas
2018-02-25, 04:11 AM
Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN5kVvR8VQI)
Hocus Pocus Alimagocus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYuSBrmvC5I)

RazorChain
2018-02-25, 07:15 AM
Before it's too late
I will levitate!

Jay R
2018-02-25, 09:25 PM
Hakuna heigh-ho fragilistic bibbidy chim cheree!

Mutazoia
2018-02-26, 12:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgvXtexdgAM

Bohandas
2018-02-26, 01:51 AM
GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE (https://hyperdiscordia.church/turkey_curse.html)

RazorChain
2018-02-26, 03:12 AM
GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE (https://hyperdiscordia.church/turkey_curse.html)

Hail Eris!

14. Wipe thine ass with what is written
and grin like a ninny at what is Spoken. Take
thine refuge with thine wine in the Nothing
behind Everything, as you hurry along the Path.

THE PURPLE SAGE
HBT; The Book of Predictions, Chap. 19

Lord Torath
2018-02-26, 10:07 AM

>_> <_<I pledge allegiance to Queen Frag, and her mighty State of Hysteria (http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2009/10/22/).

SpoonR
2018-02-26, 10:29 AM
For disintegrate/deafen/blast
Vuvuzela

:elan:

Actually, name everything after exotic instruments (or names from the relevant wikip article)
Divje Babe, Jiahu, Chukchi, Sistra, ugab, kinnor, hasosra, syrinx, Alboka, Aslatua, Djembe, etc

Katrina
2018-02-28, 01:00 AM
So "Azurath metrion zinthos" isn't popular at anyone else's table?

I annoyed a friend by using Dragon shouts from Skyrim for a while. I have a good memory, and when you hear them over and over...

I've used incantations from Final Fantasy Tactics sometimes too

Bohandas
2018-03-01, 01:54 AM
Tatra amistrobin azarta taiis manor manziz hounaz ansobar saman derobza dahir saika dans derodza kandar, Kandar, KANDAR -Evil Dead 1

Bohandas
2018-03-01, 02:01 AM
"Round about the cauldron go:
In the poisoned entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Sweated venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i’ the charmed pot.

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and owlet's wing.
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf,
Witch's mummy, maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark,
Root of hemlock digg'd i’ the dark,
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat; and slips of yew

Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingredients of our cauldron.

Double, double toil and trouble,

Cool it with a baboon's blood,

Then the charm is firm and good."

Song of the Witches
by
William Shakespeare

From Macbeth, Act IV, Scene 1

That's also the ingredients that go into a hotdog

Psyren
2018-03-01, 02:14 AM
Alright, grab a black pearl, some red moss, a clove of garlic, ginseng, a mandrake root, some nightshade, an ounce of spider silk, and some sulfurous ash and repeat after me:

Ultima, good stuff :smallcool:

As for me - The kuji'in are probably my favorite - both the hand movements, and the words that go with them:

"Rin, Pyou, Tou, Sha, Kai, Jin, Retsu, Zai, Zen!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_AsMkmeToM)

Cespenar
2018-03-01, 04:05 AM

Oh, man. Even now the words "Kal Vas Flam" make me flinch and want to run behind some cover.

Joe the Rat
2018-03-01, 10:03 AM
So much win in this thread. Also note that there are now TWO Angela Lansbury connected references here.

I've got one player that likes to add a little poetry to his castings - playing online, it ends up in chat (thankfully) That fell by the wayside as it became too time involved.

For the Goblin bard (which I very much had a hand in making), every spell has an associated song. Invisibility is the James Bond Themesong, and Shatter uses a bit of Rolling Stones (shadoobie). The exception is Stinking Cloud, which has its own unique mechanism.

He has a magic sword with two activation phrases: "Moon Tiara Magic!" (for Guiding Bolt) and "It's Showtime!" (for Moonbeam). The sword's magic doesn't require these, the sword just makes him do it before it'll activate.

Intelligent weapons are fun.

Segev
2018-03-01, 10:36 AM
Zazum zazamore. Tal, talmat, orem!
Burning in the depths of the pits of darkness, let the fires of Hell take you!
Let the fires become my sword and strike you down: VENOM!

TheYell
2018-03-01, 05:01 PM
Charlie Sheen, Ben Vereen,
Shrink to the size of a lima bean!

-- Pinky and the Brain

This thread reminds me of a great bit of talk radio where Tim Conway Jr. discussed the fairy godmother's incantation

Magicazoola, Bipity Boola, Bipity Bopity Boo
Put them together and what have you got?
Bipity Bopity Boo!

No! No! No! You HAD Bipity Bopity Boo and you added to it. You can't end up with Bipity Bopity Boo! Are you having a stroke?"

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-03-01, 05:20 PM
For the Goblin bard (which I very much had a hand in making), every spell has an associated song. Invisibility is the James Bond Themesong, and Shatter uses a bit of Rolling Stones (shadoobie).

To each his own, I guess (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PGFvibDq84A).

Thrawn4
2018-03-02, 09:44 AM
Look up random names of villages in Germany or Italy, depending on what flavor Draconic your table likes. "Bielefeld" is a great one for Mirage Arcana.

I see what you did there.:smallsmile:

Mutazoia
2018-03-05, 07:30 AM
"Five nine is your height
two ten is your weight
you cash in your chips
on page 98"

FreddyNoNose
2018-03-06, 06:27 PM
Double Double,
Add and Double.

From a machine language class Looooooooong ago. How to multiple by 10.

Segev
2018-03-06, 06:29 PM
Double Double,
Add and Double.

From a machine language class Looooooooong ago. How to multiple by 10.

Oh, hey, that's an algorithm I hadn't known. Neat!

Âmesang
2018-03-06, 10:41 PM
On a similar note, would it be a good idea or a bad idea to use Sign Language to represent somatic components? :smalltongue:

Mutazoia
2018-03-08, 05:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb75RjpvBIk

Tvtyrant
2018-03-09, 05:59 PM
I usually just translate a relevant portion of spell text into Serbian.

Vatrogasci zapaljuju zapaljive materijale i oštete objekte u toj oblasti! (The fireball sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area.)'

Time Stop

Čini se da ovo čini da vreme ne pređe za sve osim vas. Zapravo, toliko ubrzate da su sva druga stvorenja zamrznuta, mada se zapravo i dalje kreću po normalnim brzinama. Možete slobodno delovati za krug očiglednog vremena. Normalna i čarobna vatra, hladnoće, gas i slično i dalje mogu štetiti. Dok je zaustavljanje vremena na snazi, druga bića su neulovljiva za vaše napade i čarolije; ne možete ciljati takva stvorenja bilo kakvim napadom ili čarolijom. Čarolija koja utječe na područje i koja traje duže od preostalog trajanja prekida vremena imaju svoje normalne efekte na druga bića nakon završetka vremena. Većina pisaca pisma koriste dodatno vreme da poboljšaju svoju odbranu, pozovu saveznike ili beže od borbe!

This spell seems to make time cease to flow for everyone but you. In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds. You are free to act for 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time. Normal and magical fire, cold, gas, and the like can still harm you. While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you cannot target such creatures with any attack or spell. A spell that affects an area and has a duration longer than the remaining duration of the time stop have their normal effects on other creatures once the time stop ends. Most spellcasters use the additional time to improve their defenses, summon allies, or flee from combat.

Goaty14
2018-03-10, 03:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQs_Bef_V8
Slay Living

I can't find a good "Fus Ro Dah" video, but that's pretty good.

Bohandas
2018-04-05, 07:59 PM
Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi bobbidi boo
Put 'em together and what have you got
Bibbidi bobbidi boo!

Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi bobbidi boo
It'll do magic believe it or not
Bibbidi bobbidi boo

Salagadoola means mechicka booleroo
But the thinga mabob that does the job is
Bibbidi bobbidi boo