PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose what to play

Harrysonford
2017-12-10, 09:55 PM
Ok, so I really like a lot of classes, and I can’t seem to choose what to play. Oh playgrounders, please help me pick what to play.

My party is: cleric, barbarian, wizard, rogue and ranger.
I still need to pick.

What helps balance out that party?

I have fun playing almost any class, so I really just want help so I can finally choose what to play.

EDIT: rogue is melee, no idea which archetype, cleric is grave domain mid-range, ranger is gloom stalker I think, wizard is conjuration, barbarian is zealot I think.
All official WoTC material is available

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

UPDATE: I am ok playing most classes. I prefer DEX over STR. I prefer classes that have some magic (even monks and arcane archer).

Great cthulhu
2017-12-10, 09:57 PM
I would suggest paladin or Warlock.

SpamCreateWater
2017-12-10, 10:09 PM
If your main concern is to balance out the party it may help to know where the others are taking their characters (if they know such things).
Cleric and Rogue would probably be the two classes you have that would change the answer the most.
What Domain is the Cleric? Are they able to melee, or are they a mid-liner?
What archetype for the Rogue? Will they look to ranged or melee?

Also, what books are available? Xanathar's recently came out, and that could change suggestions.

You can never go wrong with more spellcasters, though. Or the Ritual Spellcasting feat.

JAL_1138
2017-12-10, 10:18 PM
My default answer is usually bard, since they can do a little bit of everything, but in this case I'd say Paladin. Or possibly Fighter. The Barb could probably use the help on the front lines, and you've got ranged damage and spellcasting covered quite well already between the ranger, rogue, cleric, and wizard. Monk could also work well here, to stun-lock enemies and give the Ranger and Rogue Advantage through Stunning Strike, as well as reduce the need for Reckless Attack for the Barbarian--still attacking with Advantage, but enemies aren't getting it against them.

Edit: If the Rogue is melee, the Ranger still has ranged damage covered reasonably well (and the Rogue can still grab a ranged weapon when necessary). So I'd keep the same recommendations. More hard-to-kill people up front in melee will likely benefit the party more than yet another fullcaster (you have two-and-a-half casters already). Paladin becomes even more attractive due to potentially having three people in their Auras (yourself, the barb, and the rogue) most of the time while still having some great spells and extra healing (so the Cleric and Ranger can save their slots for utility and combat).

mer.c
2017-12-10, 10:35 PM
This looks like a pretty well-balanced party overall. The frontline could be a little sturdier, but the one thing they may be lacking is a Face. Paladin could work (mind the poor skill selection and adapt accordingly) and would help the frontline, or you could go with Bard. Lore Bard isn’t tanky, but is super flexible and a ton of fun IMO. Valor or Swords could help with the frontline.

Also, along with great skills, Cha focus, and Bardic Inspiration, Bards can cast Enhance Ability at level three, which is killer for social encounters. Plus some great deception and intelligence-gathering spells.

Meta
2017-12-10, 10:37 PM
What level? Some Paladin, Bard, Warlock combination (single classed or any 2 of the 3) seems good as others have mentioned.

Kane0
2017-12-10, 10:38 PM
Bard, Paladin or Warlock. Or multiclass and be all three!

Khrysaes
2017-12-10, 10:45 PM
bard with tensers transformation and greater find steed magical secrets :)

Sinefrid
2017-12-11, 04:55 AM
There's another reason why paladin should be looking attractive besides the ability to be party face and to grant the party a strong frontline. You can coordinate with the Zealot Barbarian player to become a divine good cop bad cop team.

Ones an honorable knight the other is a raging beserker together they fight crime smite evil.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-11, 11:29 AM
What do you like to play? it looks to me like the Party could use a Charisma based character, but as someone who despises playing charisma based characters I can't recommend one unless I know you are ok playing one.

That said, Hexblade Warlock seems very popular these days.

ImproperJustice
2017-12-11, 01:08 PM
A mastermind rogue could be very helpful in that group.

You could really do just about anything which is kinda exciting.

Maybe try a high Charisma Battlemaster with Rally and Inspiring Leader?
Use Commander’s strike, maneuvering strike, etc?

Sun Soul Monk and throw Hadoukens?
A Halfling Grappler and call yourself the “Ankle-Biter”?
A Warlock with non-standard evocations?

MrStabby
2017-12-11, 03:01 PM
Moon druid could work: beef up front line. Extra utility. Cover off a few more spells.

MagneticKitty
2017-12-11, 03:41 PM
Very situational, but...
Is either your barbarian or cleric a heavy weapon fighter?
Pole arms become one handed on a mount. Moon druid: be the mount lol.
Then your barbarian/cleric can dual weild glaives. And regular weild single glaive when you don't have time to combo. Mounted combatant feat on rider for extra versitility. If you had a Calvary fighter it'd be even better

Otherwise I'd do a warlock or paladin.

Demonslayer666
2017-12-11, 03:43 PM
Front liner: fighter, paladin, or maybe even a cleric of war.

Hrugner
2017-12-11, 03:48 PM
It sounds like the party is already pretty balanced. You could play anything and not worry about leaving some niche uncovered, so I'd worry about stepping on toes instead and avoid doubling up with people. I'd stick with ranged to avoid a really heavy frontline as you have two dedicated front line characters and two mid range characters. A warlock or sorcerer for a charisma caster would probably be the most fitting here, and between those warlock is the one you have the most flexibility with once play starts.

Harrysonford
2017-12-11, 06:51 PM
Please see update at the top

nickl_2000
2017-12-11, 07:17 PM
My opinion : divine patron warlock, valor bard, or favored soul Sorcerer.

2D8HP
2017-12-11, 07:23 PM
If you want "some" magic, play a High Elf Rogue with the Firebolt Cantrip.

Max DEX, and get "Expertise" in Stealth.

Max WIS and get "Expertise" in Perception.

Grab a rapier as your melee weapon.

Viable character.

Boom.

Done.

If you change your mind about magic, play a Wood Elf (nice Features), or get some CHA as a Half Elf, or variant human, and be a Swashbuckler!

Finger6842
2017-12-11, 09:32 PM
In order of preference:
Lore Bard - Dex with lots of magic that can range attack, buff, heal and face
Coffee Lock - Because magic, range dps and can have dex for initiative...
Moon Druid - magic, dex, polymorph, heal, buff
Wizard - Having 2 is twice the fun, lots of magic, just choose a different spec...
Any GISH...

But really, party tailor made for Lore Bard

Wampyr
2017-12-11, 11:29 PM
Any class other than the ones already taken would be good, unless you’re wanting to balance the party. Then I’d suggest a bard or a paladin geared for buffing your teammates.

SpamCreateWater
2017-12-12, 07:59 PM
Based on your update I'd say a class that wouldn't mind a bit of CHA in its life for some social skill synergy. Maybe, due to the size of the party, a class with access to healing/buffing spells/abilities.

I'm thinking Bard or Paladin.
Divine Soul Sorcerer may work? I've little knowledge of the archetype.

Telwar
2017-12-12, 08:47 PM
I'm going to second (seventh? twelfth?) paladin.

You can do Face Stuff, you can buff the party No Matter What with your sweet, sweet +Cha to save aura (and if you go Ancients you can help protect against the downsides of that inevitable clumping by giving them resistance to spell damage), you can be another front line member for the rogue to get sneak attack off of and shield the tender underbelly of the rest of the party, you can pinch-hit heal, you can do Big Damage even with a sword and board or you can go full-on Retribution with a 2h, etc.