PDA

View Full Version : DM Fiat

shaka gl
2007-08-20, 10:14 PM
I was just wondering, why do you call railroading DMs like that? I dont get it
:(

Moff Chumley
2007-08-20, 10:16 PM
I'm sorry, I can't understand what you mean, can you clean up the grammer? :smallconfused:

horseboy
2007-08-20, 10:19 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fiat

tionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
fi·at /ˈfiɑt, -æt; ˈfaɪət, -æt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fee-aht, -at; fahy-uht, -at] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an authoritative decree, sanction, or order: a royal fiat.
2. a formula containing the word fiat, by which a person in authority gives sanction.
3. an arbitrary decree or pronouncement, esp. by a person or group of persons having absolute authority to enforce it: The king ruled by fiat.

FdL
2007-08-20, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry, I can't understand what you mean, can you clean up the grammer? :smallconfused:

He's asking why the expression "DM Fiat" is used to refer to DMs who have a tendency for "railroading" their players (ie, playing a game following closely a pre-written script, in a linear fashion with little interactive input from the players).

And you misspelled "grammar". Just so you correct your own mistakes before those of others :smallconfused:

Edit: I had no clue of this either. I'm not familiar with all the latin expressions used by english speakers. Somehow the popularity of their use is different for us spanish speakers.

daggaz
2007-08-20, 10:39 PM
"Fiat" in modern usage means "by simple right of declaration," more or less. In other words, the king makes a law, and the law exists (and is enforced) simply because the king said it is so. Of course, this all rests on some authority to be able to rule abosolutely, in the case with most kings, divine right, and in the case of the DM, because he is the GOD of the game world.

So when you have a DM who railroads a lot, he is generally using his ability to rule by Fiat. In other words, he is often striking down actions or decisions with the wave of the hand, simply saying, you cant do that because of X, or you attempt to do that, but Y gets in your way, etc..

He is just waving his hand and making up rulings to railroad you into the course of action which he desires.

Generally tho, DM fiat is a term used simply for the times when the DM needs to make a ruling because he is in charge and the rules are unclear or missing, and hopefully a good DM only does it when neccessary. A bad DM who does it too often is just a railroader, or worse. I dont often hear railroaders called as Fiat DMs or any such thing...

Dausuul
2007-08-20, 10:43 PM
He's asking why the expression "DM Fiat" is used to refer to DMs who have a tendency for "railroading" their players (ie, playing a game following closely a pre-written script, in a linear fashion with little interactive input from the players).

And you misspelled "grammar". Just so you correct your own mistakes before those of others :smallconfused:

Edit: I had no clue of this either. I'm not familiar with all the latin expressions used by english speakers. Somehow the popularity of their use is different for us spanish speakers.

To do something "by fiat" is to do it by simply declaring it so, without justifying it by any rule. In the context of railroading, "DM fiat" usually means the DM making arbitrary pronouncements in defiance of logic and fairness. A common example would be where the PCs have a path they're expected to follow, and if they venture off the path, huge monsters attack them for no reason and drive them back onto it.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-21, 04:50 AM
Good DM'ing: you lost your gems because that rogue over there pickpocketed you, and now you have an adventure hook to get them back. Might I suggest putting some ranks in spot?

Bad DM'ing: you lost your gems because I say so, and you had way too much money to begin with. If you don't like it, well, it's my game.

The latter is fiat, the former is not.

Matthew
2007-08-21, 04:52 AM
DM Fiat is similar to Powergaming; both can be beneficial to the game, but generally speaking, when they appear in discussion, it tends to be in the pejorative sense.

nagora
2007-08-21, 04:53 AM
Good DM'ing: you lost your gems because that rogue over there pickpocketed you, and now you have an adventure hook to get them back. Might I suggest putting some ranks in spot?

Bad DM'ing: you lost your gems because I say so, and you had way too much money to begin with. If you don't like it, well, it's my game.

The latter is fiat, the former is not.

No, they're both fiat. In fact, pretty well everything the DM does is fiat. The second one is just low-quality fiat, which is really what I would mean by the word "railroading".

Kiero
2007-08-21, 05:04 AM
A game cannot function without GM fiat, generally. Fiat is what is used to fill that gap between what is laid out in the rules, and the events actually taking place at the table. When the GM says anything happens, chooses to interpret the rules in any way, or indeed makes any kind of declaration, they are using fiat.

However, people only tend to have a problem when the use of fiat is seen as being both arbitrary (which frankly it always is) and having a negative impact on fun.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-21, 10:37 AM
A game cannot function without GM fiat, generally. Fiat is what is used to fill that gap between what is laid out in the rules, and the events actually taking place at the table. When the GM says anything happens, chooses to interpret the rules in any way, or indeed makes any kind of declaration, they are using fiat.

However, people only tend to have a problem when the use of fiat is seen as being both arbitrary (which frankly it always is) and having a negative impact on fun.

QFT

DM's fiat all the time. They have to. I do it frequently. The diffrence bettween a good DM fiat and a bad is if the players don't feel that they have enough control over their characters and the game world. This will vary from group to group. Example of the type that in some groups would be ok and in others not so much:

DM: Everyone boards the ship and a week passes uneventfully on the trip up river. Prepared casters prep the spells they expect to use, the rouge gambles with the captian winning a few copper and the dwarf drinks.

Telonius
2007-08-21, 12:03 PM
On rare occasions it means that the DM owns an Italian car. :smallbiggrin:

BCOVertigo
2007-08-21, 01:03 PM
On rare occasions it means that the DM owns an Italian car. :smallbiggrin:

That can't be right, why would they waste time railroading?

Anyways I agree with the sentiment here, Fiat is only a problem when it detracts from fun. Usually it is used because either the DM pulled something stupid and the players got hold of something they shouldn't have.

Stupid Example:
"Rust monsters attack the rogue in a surprise round and destroy the dagger."
"Don't we get a spot check to see them coming?"
"No, because I hate you."

Or the players snuck something stupid under the radar so to speak and the DM needs to bring the smack down to keep moving.

Example:
"I now initiate the Pun Pun loop and win DnD!"
"Your familiar falls over dead."
"What?? Lame!"
"When was the last time you fed him?"

Matthew
2007-08-21, 01:19 PM
Example:
"I now initiate the Pun Pun loop and win DnD!"
"Your familiar falls over dead."
"What?? Lame!"
"When was the last time you fed him?"

It's rare that I laugh out loud whilst reading Forum messages, but today I did.

Chris_Chandler
2007-08-21, 01:36 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that one very common usage of DM fiat as a tool (not used by a tool) is when the Rules of the Game can't explain the intent and action of the session. D&D and GURPS (the two games on which I focus) both have their share of attention to detail, but eventually you come into a situation where events cannot be resolved by the ruleset. DM fiat creates the structure to resolve such an event.

I will, agree, though, that, when discussed here and other gaming boards, DM fiat is like calling your DM Casey Jones.

Rasumichin
2007-08-21, 02:18 PM
That can't be right, why would they waste time railroading?

If you had ever owned a Fiat, as a DM or not, you wouldn't ask.:smallbiggrin:
Trust me, i know from personal, terrible experience.