PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dagger Mastery feat ideas

nirurin
2017-12-11, 12:44 AM
Ideas for a feat to complement my College of Swords Bard. They are performers, sword swallowers and most relevantly knife throwers, so I thought he should get some.

Sorry for the repeating opening line, it was how I had them in a document and it’s just simpler to paste the whole file. The first two points are the same for each, as they are required to allow the player to throw multiple knives per turn without issues, much like the crossbow expert feat does for the hand crossbow. This isn’t strong enough for a feat by itself though, hence the third points. They’re all a bit different, and each have their own flavour.
Edit - I gave the weapons the ranged property, so that they become compatible with the sharpshooter feat. Number 2 doesn’t have that property, as it has a mini-sharpshooter built in and it shouldn’t get to stack.

1)
Impalement Arts / Performer's Trick
You have an unnatural talent for feats of dexterity, and a penchant for the flourish of a true performer. You gain the following benefits:
• Your Daggers gain the 'Ranged' and 'Ammunition' properties.
• When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a Dagger you are holding.
• Alternatively, you can choose to use your bonus action to perform a Disarming Strike. Make a melee attack roll contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the defender suffers 1d4+(Dex) damage, and drops the item.

2)
You have an unnatural talent for feats of dexterity, and a penchant for the flourish of a true performer. You gain the following benefits:
• Your Daggers gain the 'Ammunition' property.
• When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a Dagger you are holding.
• Before you make a ranged attack with a Dagger, you can choose to take a -2 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +4 to the attack’s damage.

3)
• You can re-roll any and all damage die on your thrown weapons (you can choose either the original result, or the rerolled one).

4)
• Alternatively, you can choose to use your bonus action to perform a defensive flourish. You gain +1 AC until your next turn.

5)
• Attacks using a Dagger score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20, but score a critical fail on a roll of 1 or 2.

OdinTGE
2017-12-11, 09:50 PM
"When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a Dagger you are holding."

This is already a thing you can do. I assume the intention is to allow the addition of your DEX/STR mod to the bonus action attack damage, but I don't think that's as clear as it could be.

GalacticAxekick
2017-12-11, 11:03 PM
"When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a Dagger you are holding."

This is already a thing you can do. I assume the intention is to allow the addition of your DEX/STR mod to the bonus action attack damage, but I don't think that's as clear as it could be.Two weapon fighting applies to light weapons (shortswords, scimitars, daggers, handaxes, clubs, hammers, sickles) but not all one-handed weapons. This feature changes that, in addition to adding modifiers to the bonus action attack damage.

nirurin
2017-12-12, 11:29 AM

This is already a thing you can do. I assume the intention is to allow the addition of your DEX/STR mod to the bonus action attack damage, but I don't think that's as clear as it could be.

As GalacticAxeKick says, by default you can only attack with an off-hand weapon if the main weapon is a Light Melee Weapon. This is why the Crossbow Expert feat has this line in it to allow a hand crossbow to be fired as a bonus action.

My wording is identical to the wording given to the Hand Crossbows in the Crossbow Expert feat. It may not be as clear as it could be, but it is the official RAW Wizards of the Coast rule so I stuck with it rather than making up my own version.

Does anyone have any feedback about which of these ideas would be the most interesting/fun/flavourful etc?

Sicarius Victis
2017-12-23, 04:35 AM
Side note: while one-handed melee weapons don't necessarily count as light weapons, light melee weapons do count as one-handed weapons. Thus, as it is worded, if you use your action to attack with a dagger, you can trigger the bonus action attack with that same dagger. Crossbow Expert works the same way, allowing an attack with a hand crossbow to trigger the feat's effect.