PDA

View Full Version : Lich Building: Frost?

Matron Mother
2017-12-11, 02:18 AM
A long time ago I stumbled across feats, not sure if it was a pathway for Dread Necromancer or buried somewhere in Libris Mortis, but I could've sworn I saw something that made a normal lich an ice/frost lich where all their damage was cold damage. Any ideas or thoughts on the subject? Please and thank you ^^

Boggartbae
2017-12-11, 02:25 AM
There's Lord of the Uttercold, which turns half of your cold damage from spells into negative energy damage, which synergises with a lich's immunity to cold and negative energy healing.

I'm not sure how to go about turning yourself into a cold Lich though.

Edit: the spell mantle of the icy soul, the item ring of the icy soul, and the frostmage prestige class, all grant the cold subtype, and all 3 are from Frostburn.

Matron Mother
2017-12-16, 05:37 PM
There's Lord of the Uttercold, which turns half of your cold damage from spells into negative energy damage, which synergises with a lich's immunity to cold and negative energy healing.

I'm not sure how to go about turning yourself into a cold Lich though.

Edit: the spell mantle of the icy soul, the item ring of the icy soul, and the frostmage prestige class, all grant the cold subtype, and all 3 are from Frostburn.

Oh my gosh thank you, that was exactly what I was clawing at my brain to remember! Icy Soul seems like a good thing to put on armor, and then maybe just focus on cold damage spells and abilities? I'm making an enemy NPC, so suggestions like these help a long way!

Boggartbae
2017-12-16, 05:44 PM
What people generally do with Lord of the Utter Cold is pair it with skeletons, so they are immune to the cold damage and are healed by the negative energy.

Check out the Corpsecrafter feats from Libris Mortis, particularly Destructive Retribution and Deadly Chill. Also the feat Necromantic Might, from the same book, cold be good depending on what you're doing :smalltongue:

DrMotives
2017-12-16, 05:45 PM
Like most undead, lich are already immune to cold, so really taking energy substitution cold for a feat will do plenty to make an ice lich. There is a metamagic feat from Dragon magazine that turns half of a spell's damage to negative energy, which is amazing for cold AoE spells in an undead army. Really it's just a matter of spell and feat selection to make a regular lich into a cryomancer.