PDA

View Full Version : AL How do I have Faction Secret Missions when running a hardcover?

OldTrees1
2017-12-11, 03:23 AM
If I am running a hardcover for an adventure league table, how do I enable the PCs to meet the secret mission requirement to reach faction rank 3?

HolyDraconus
2017-12-11, 05:43 AM
If I am running a hardcover for an adventure league table, how do I enable the PCs to meet the secret mission requirement to reach faction rank 3?

You don't. To date, no hardcover has any faction secret missions, which are currently only obtainable through modules. If you need them to get those, run a module that has it instead.

Rogerdodger557
2017-12-11, 07:25 AM

If the party is tier 2, run them through White Plume Mountain, and make sure they return all 3 weapons. It's one of the few ways to get a secret mission.

Chugger
2017-12-11, 07:28 AM
You don't. To date, no hardcover has any faction secret missions, which are currently only obtainable through modules. If you need them to get those, run a module that has it instead.

I'm pretty sure White Plume Mntn is in a hardcover, but is run more like a module - or certainly can be splintered off and run as one. And it gives credit for a secret mission.

All factions get credit, too, which is nice. WPM is a hard, long adventure, though, and very old school in a sense - I kind of liked it.

Chugger
2017-12-11, 07:31 AM
If your hardcover doesn't have secret missions and you're doing it consecutively, I suppose you could have players momentarily move away from that - though it could be very jarring - to do a module w/ a secret mission. But secret mission modules that I've seen only give credit to one or two factions - I think it may be two. So if multiple factions are rep'd at your table, you might have to run 3 or even 4 secret missions modules to get everyone qualified.

WPM which I mentioned above has an insanely good treasure drop, and everyone gets at least something. It's worth looking into.

OldTrees1
2017-12-11, 02:13 PM
I'm pretty sure White Plume Mntn is in a hardcover, but is run more like a module - or certainly can be splintered off and run as one. And it gives credit for a secret mission.

All factions get credit, too, which is nice. WPM is a hard, long adventure, though, and very old school in a sense - I kind of liked it.

Just from playing WPM? That would be perfect since it would only delay the group a couple sessions. Where can I confirm that WPM by itself grants 1 secret mission to each player? (I am starting to read through it)

Edit found it: Adventure League FAQ 6.1 removes the 3 weapons from AL legal play & grants a reward for each found and turned in. Perfect.

HolyDraconus
2017-12-11, 02:29 PM

That's less of a mission and more of an incentive to return the weapons of mass destruction :smalltongue: