PDA

View Full Version : Chaotic Tabletop RPG

Cravix
2017-12-11, 12:12 PM
I need a tabletop system where things can get chaotic. Not necessary mechanic wise but in gameplay. Trying to run a game set in the modern world where the players are anarchists. Id like something that can support explosions, mayhem, psychological warfare. Any suggestions?

LibraryOgre
2017-12-11, 12:26 PM
My default here would be Savage Worlds. FAST! FLEXIBLE! FUN! is their watchword. The social combat mechanics could be adapted into psyops fairly easily. And a flexible system works well with "We do the thing" and a GM having to decide "How the heck does the thing work?"

Knaight
2017-12-11, 12:52 PM
Basically any game can (and to be honest usually does) get into messy mayhem. With that said, there are some selection criteria that can enhance it. You want a game with mechanics that run quickly, where characters are durable enough that players aren't incentivized to play with an abundance of caution (not that they would anyways).

Right now, the Ubiquity system is my favorite game for that niche. Hollow Earth Expedition in particular is very much a pulp-action game that fits your needs, except for being set about eighty years ago. Quantum Black expands into the modern day.

Kurald Galain
2017-12-11, 01:59 PM
I need a tabletop system where things can get chaotic. Not necessary mechanic wise but in gameplay. Trying to run a game set in the modern world where the players are anarchists. Id like something that can support explosions, mayhem, psychological warfare. Any suggestions?

You're clearly looking for Paranoia. Paranoia is fun. Paranoia is mandatory by order of The Computer. Have a nice daycycle, citizen.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-11, 03:59 PM
As Knaight noted, most systems with any sort of support for the modern day will handle explosions and mayhem just fine, unless you need serious mechanics to back up the psychological warfare thing. Do you have any other preferences in regards to things like amount of crunch, setting-specificity, narrative-vs-simulationist mechanics, price, familiarity, etc? 'Cause right now, I think anything from GURPS to Fate to d20 Modern to obscure indie RPGs will fit the (very vague) bill.

You're clearly looking for Paranoia. Paranoia is fun. Paranoia is mandatory by order of The Computer. Have a nice daycycle, citizen.
You probably don't want Paranoia, tho. That's a fun game (at least for a one-shot), but a very different experience.

Cravix
2017-12-12, 07:09 AM
As Knaight noted, most systems with any sort of support for the modern day will handle explosions and mayhem just fine, unless you need serious mechanics to back up the psychological warfare thing. Do you have any other preferences in regards to things like amount of crunch, setting-specificity, narrative-vs-simulationist mechanics, price, familiarity, etc? 'Cause right now, I think anything from GURPS to Fate to d20 Modern to obscure indie RPGs will fit the (very vague) bill.

You probably don't want Paranoia, tho. That's a fun game (at least for a one-shot), but a very different experience.

I own the newest version of Paranoia (the red clearance edition). Indeed its crazy but not really fitting into what im looking for. I own Savage Worlds Deluxe but havnt got a chance to use it.

Geddy2112
2017-12-12, 10:23 AM
What about Call of Cthulu? In addition to chaotic, world/existence ending monsters, you have a time period where anarchy is on the rise.
It is in the modern world, and has plenty of rules for explosions, mayhem, and if you count people going insane from eldritch horros, psychological warfare.

JellyPooga
2017-12-13, 05:55 AM
How about Misspent Youth? I've not actually played it yet, but it's basically a system designed around anarchy/rebellion/overthrowing the evils of society. The gameplay mechanics are pretty simple, very narrative and encourage characters to actively change during the course of play. Wil Wheaton has done a Table (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ff0JODjpU)top (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPQ9Jj_IGOo) episode (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npEcCw0SX0w) (or three) of it, which is where I first heard about it and it's free to download (from the designers website (http://misspentyouth.robertbohl.com/)). Check it out.