PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Satyr Race

Endal
2017-12-11, 12:28 PM
These are the stats for a new race I wanted to put together. I created it by mixing the Monster Manual's description with the Halfling and Half-Elf races. Let me know what you guys think.

Satyrs are raucous fey that frolic in wild forests, driven by curiosity and hedonism in equal measure.
Satyrs resemble stout male humans with the furry lower bodies and cloven hooves of goats. Horns sprout from their heads, ranging in shape from a pair of small nubs to large, curling rams' horns. They typically sport facial hair.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1, and your Charisma score increases by 2

Age. True creatures of the feywild, Satyrs reach their full maturity within the first few years of their lives. They have a child-like abandon because of their quick maturing process and will usually live up to 200 years. Satyrs will generally become wise as they reach their 150th year, though this is not guaranteed.

Alignment. Satyrs range in the Chaotic spectrum of alignment and will often disregard the consequences of the hedonism they incite in others

Size. Satyrs are a little bit taller than Halflings, but shorter than Elves. Your size is Medium

Speed. 30ft

Darkvision. Due to your fay heritage, you have superior vision in the dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if you were in bright light, and in darkness as if you were in dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Satyr Nimbleness. You can cross over difficult terrain as though it were normal

Fay Ancestry. Once per short rest you have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects

Skill Versatility. You gain proficiency in one Charisma based skills

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan

Special Attack. Ram: You have an highly efficient unarmed damage - 2d4 caused by a head butt

Dionysian Fortitude. You always have advantage on saving throws having to do with drinking wine or other spirits.

JNAProductions
2017-12-11, 12:48 PM
I'd drop the 2d4 to 1d6. It's a little too good there.

Other than that, and some minor clean up in the wording, I don't see any big issues with this.

SwordMeow
2017-12-11, 03:32 PM
solid 1/2 asi, norm speed, 60 darkvision, ignore DT, fey (you have a typo) ancestry except it's different than elves so you should call it something else, skill versatility also is a half elf feature and you should rename this - perhaps Forest's Charm; sylvan, 2d4 unarmed (this should be worded correctly, see volo's tabaxi), and a cool ribbon.

Overall its too much, lower the unarmed to 1d6, make fey ancestry either the elven equal or make it something else much less powerful than currently, and it will be fine if a little high powered. Good draft!

NYpurdy
2017-12-11, 11:39 PM
I think a Satyr makes more sense to become a PC race than many other monsters out there. So good choice!

Gosh - EVERY player seems to have darkvision this edition! Does the Monster Manual Stayr has this feature? I'd kill it.

Your Fey Ancestry feature is really fun. I think it might be better served as a once per long rest feature. But it seems like it doesn't fit on me for a Satyr (even with the Stayr's magical resistance).

I want it to gain proficiency with musical instrument (pipes)

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-12, 07:20 AM

Or just any instrument. I've seen satyrs with violins and fiddles, too. Could definitely see one with an accordion.

Sorry guys, I tried really hard not to comment on this thread. I just couldn't do it!

nickl_2000
2017-12-12, 08:01 AM
I think a Satyr makes more sense to become a PC race than many other monsters out there. So good choice!

Gosh - EVERY player seems to have darkvision this edition! Does the Monster Manual Stayr has this feature? I'd kill it.

Your Fey Ancestry feature is really fun. I think it might be better served as a once per long rest feature. But it seems like it doesn't fit on me for a Satyr (even with the Stayr's magical resistance).

No, they do not have Darkvision in the MM. I would agree to drop that completely. Also, I agree that they should get Prof in some instrument.

If you drop darkvision, does it balance out the 2d4 for damage on the ram attack? That damage is taken directly from the MM stat block I see.

Another question to consider, should there be something in there about a Satyr not being able to wear boots, magical or otherwise that are not made for them? After all, they have hooves.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-12, 11:43 AM
If you drop darkvision, does it balance out the 2d4 for damage on the ram attack? That damage is taken directly from the MM stat block I see.

You know what? I'd say it does. Normally I'm opposed to big natural weapons, but I think there is enough room for it here.

Another question to consider, should there be something in there about a Satyr not being able to wear boots, magical or otherwise that are not made for them? After all, they have hooves.

That's probably too restrictive. Magic boots are usually assumed to resize themselves to fit anything from halflings to half-orcs, so why not hooves? The minotaur race in the waterborne UA (probably the closest to an 'official' reference point we can get here) doesn't have any such restriction as far as I can remember.

Also I'm not sure I want to encourage satyrs to be equipping magical horseshoes, which have probably not been designed with PC use in mind..