PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Telekine (3.5 class, by request)

Jormengand
2017-12-11, 01:24 PM
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
Telekinesis Weight
Telekinesis Speed
1st+0+2+0+2Psychic Hammer 1d2/5 ft, Telekinetic Force
10 ft/round
2nd+1+3+0+3Ranged Legerdemain 1/day
30 ft/round
3rd+2+3+1+3Telekinetic Reflection +1
60 ft/round
4th+3+4+1+4Psychic Hammer 2d4/10 ft
80 ft/round
5th+3+4+1+4Telekinetic Storm +1 steps
120 ft/round
6th+4+5+2+5Ranged Legerdemain 2/day
150 ft/round
7th+5+5+2+5Telekinetic Reflection +2
190 ft/round
8th+6/+1+6+2+6Psychic Hammer 3d6/15 ft
230 ft/round
9th+6/+1+6+3+6Telekinetic Storm +2 steps
270 ft/round
10th+7/+2+7+3+7Ranged Legerdemain 3/day
320 ft/round
11th+8/+3+7+3+7Telekinetic Reflection +3
370 ft/round
12th+9/+4+8+4+8Psychic Hammer 4d8/20 ft
420 ft/round
13th+9/+4+8+4+8Telekinetic Storm +3 steps
470 ft/round
14th+10/+5+9+4+9Ranged Legerdemain 4/day
530 ft/round
15th+11/+6/+1+9+5+9Telekinetic Reflection +4
590 ft/round
16th+12/+7/+2+10+5+10Psychic Hammer 5d10/25 ft
640 ft/round
17th+12/+7/+2+10+5+10Telekinetic Storm +4 steps
710 ft/round
18th+13/+8/+3+11+6+11Ranged Legerdemain 5/day
770 ft/round
19th+14/+9/+4+11+6+11Telekinetic Reflection +5
830 ft/round
20th+15/+10/+5+12+6+12Psychic Hammer 6d12/30 ft
900 ft/round

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
The telekine’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Knowledge (Psionics) (Int), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
Telekines are proficient with all simple weapons as well as the rapier, the scimitar, and the short sword. They are also proficient with light armour. A telekine needs their offhand to be free for their telekinetic abilities to function properly, but wearing medium or heavy armour doesn't interfere with their abilities apart from the nonproficiency penalty.

Telekinetic Force (Su)
Telekines' signature power is, of course, telekinesis. A telekine can lift from afar an amount determined by their charisma score and the multiplier listed under Telekinesis Weight on Table: The Telekine. To find out how much a telekine can lift, take the values on Table: Carrying Capacity, ignoring the telekine's size and number of legs and using their charisma in place of their strength, and multiply them by the number given under Telekinesis Weight. For example, a tenth-level telekine with 20 charisma uses 266, 532 and 800. The telekine can lift a "Light load" telekinetically at up to the speed listed on Table: The Telekine, a "Medium load" at a half of that speed and a "Heavy load" at a quarter of that speed. Round down to the next 5 ft increment.

Telekines can wield weapons like this by throwing them physically at their enemies. In this case, the telekine is considered essentially to be whacking the enemy with the item directly, using the telekine's charisma modifier in place of their strength modifier, and is considered proficient with the item no matter what.

A telekine can wield multiple items and control them independently as a single standard action but their weights are combined to determine the speed at which they move. A telekine can move willing creatures but not unwilling creatures. Objects and creatures being moved do not fall between turns.

This ability works on anything up to 1000 ft + 100 ft/level away.

Psychic Hammer (Ps)
At first level, and every fourth level, the telekine unlocks a powerful telekinetic attack which deals the amount of damage listed and knocks the target back the distance listed; the range is medium (100 ft + 10 ft/level). A fortitude save (DC 10 + half the telekine's level + the telekine's charisma modifer) halves the damage and knockback. The telekine can choose to do no damage or to knock the target back only part of the distance or both.

Ranged Legerdemain (Su)
A telekine can perform one of the following class skills at a range of 60 feet: Disable Device, Open Lock, or Sleight of Hand. A telekine cannot take 10 on this check. Any object to be manipulated must weigh less than the telekine's telekinetic light load.

A telekine can use ranged legerdemain once per day at second level and once more per day every four levels thereafter.

Telekinetic Reflection (Su)
A telekine gets a +1 deflection bonus to AC at 3rd level, which increases by 1 every 4 levels thereafter. Further, any attack which misses due to this deflection bonus (for example, at 7th level, any attack roll whose total result is 1 or 2 points below the telekine's armour class except for a natural 20 or 1) is reflected onto the attacker, who immediately hits themself.

Telekinetic Storm (Ps)
A telekine can increase or decrease the wind speed by 1 step at 5th level and 1 more step every 4 levels thereafter as a standard action in an area up to 60 feet in diameter within medium range for one round.

gooddragon1
2017-12-22, 06:35 PM
What's the range of telekinetic force?

Jormengand
2017-12-22, 06:54 PM
What's the range of telekinetic force?

Despite the temptation to say it doesn't have a range limit, I'll make it 1000 feet plus 100 feet/level, so that you can use it anywhere you might reasonably want to but not stand at a viewpoint in one city and throw things at another.

gooddragon1
2017-12-22, 07:12 PM
Despite the temptation to say it doesn't have a range limit, I'll make it 1000 feet plus 100 feet/level, so that you can use it anywhere you might reasonably want to but not stand at a viewpoint in one city and throw things at another.

Is it a good idea at 1st level to allow people to hit with weapons from 1000 feet away?

Maybe some distance of one sort for weapons and some distance of another for other stuff? I do like the idea of participating in "melee" at a distance, I just don't know the balance factors involved.

ShiningStarling
2017-12-22, 10:45 PM
Suggestion, maybe the range on Telekinetic force could be affected by the weight multiplier? Perhaps 1000ft multiplied by the multiplier for their level? This class looks super fun and I think I will devise a build for it and post here shortly.

EDIT: Okay so I was gonna try to build El from Stranger things but turns out... she way too stronk for this class (her most impressive feat of telekinesis requiring, if my math was correct, 20th level Telekine and a 44 Charisma for it to be at the upper end of her heavy load... and that's not counting the force of friction. Yikes). Gonna try Penny from RWBY next.

EDIT2: Daaaang, almost exactly the same, only 1 lower Charisma, though Penny uses less effort, but also no friction, so probably evening out? Maybe? All my baby girls such strong telekinetics, all moving large-scale shipping equipment, guess I'll just go right for a silly build then.

Jormengand
2017-12-23, 12:25 AM
Is it a good idea at 1st level to allow people to hit with weapons from 1000 feet away?

Maybe some distance of one sort for weapons and some distance of another for other stuff? I do like the idea of participating in "melee" at a distance, I just don't know the balance factors involved.

It's not that much better than just plain shooting them, and honestly when was the last time you fought a low-level battle at a huge distance?

Suggestion, maybe the range on Telekinetic force could be affected by the weight multiplier? Perhaps 1000ft multiplied by the multiplier for their level? This class looks super fun and I think I will devise a build for it and post here shortly.

EDIT: Okay so I was gonna try to build El from Stranger things but turns out... she way too stronk for this class (her most impressive feat of telekinesis requiring, if my math was correct, 20th level Telekine and a 44 Charisma for it to be at the upper end of her heavy load... and that's not counting the force of friction. Yikes). Gonna try Penny from RWBY next.

EDIT2: Daaaang, almost exactly the same, only 1 lower Charisma, though Penny uses less effort, but also no friction, so probably evening out? Maybe? All my baby girls such strong telekinetics, all moving large-scale shipping equipment, guess I'll just go right for a silly build then.

I was subconsciously semi-basing it on Caine Soren, whose greatest telekinetic abilities were probably the eighth- or twelfth-level versions of Psychic Hammer and - with great effort - lifting a nuclear power rod. Now here, I assume I'm stuck, because no-one actually leaves information like the mass of nuclear power rods just lying around, now, do they?

Just kidding! It's about 700 lbs, so 12th-level Caine needs 17 charisma to carry it, and 8th-level Caine would need 22 charisma, which is possible for an 8th-level human in Pathfinder but not 3.5. Assuming Caine's maxed out his charisma, he'd be level 10 or 11.

(None of the GONE characters are higher than level 2, but with oddly-powerful (Su) or (Sp) abilities strapped onto them via templates or equivalent, but that's not the point).

nonsi
2017-12-23, 01:21 AM

Telekinetic Reflection is awesome, turning defense into a powerful offense that has no counter measures.

Psychic Hammer: I'd allow iterative attacks. (and I'd change the name to Telekinetic Hammer. "Psychic" is already reserved for psionic powers)

Telekinetic Storm: you should state that a telekine is affected less severely by wind according to the number of steps s/he can modify.

Telekinesis Weight: Badly needs simplification. There's nothing sacred about 20 steps. It could easily be 10 or 7 or 6 or 5..... and I believe you can make it overshadow Telekinesis spell effect with a clear conscience. After all, that's what the class is all about.

Also, if the class is all about (and only about) telekinesis, Ranged Legerdemain shouldn't have daily uses limits.

And what about self-propelling telekinesis? If not, then at least give it Balance and Jump as class skills, with some serious modifiers.

I also find things like Telekinetic Combat Maneuver, Telekinetic Grapple, Telekinetic Wave and Telekinetic Bubble to be things worthy of adding (replacing multiple instances of Ranged Legerdemain, according to the above note).

Finally, I'm curious why you felt that the class needs an influence range of 1000 ft + 100 ft/level :smallconfused:

Xzoltar
2017-12-25, 08:22 AM
Psychic Hammer : As mentioned change the name to something else like Telekinetic Hammer. The Damage should also change to something like 1d6 per 2 level if you don't allow Iterative attacks, else 1d6 + 1d6 per 6 level.

Telekinetic Force : I like the ability, but even if limiting the number of object by weight make sense, it dosent seem balanced. Nothing say that the character in your example can't hurl 532 Shurikens at one target. Strange also that you can move a carriage and allies but not ennemies (I know its more balanced that way)

Telekinetic Reflection : Dont think it should auto hit, but really like that ability.

nonsi
2017-12-30, 02:30 AM

Just wanted to flesh out my proposals above (with some extra)

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
Telekinesis Weight
1st+0+2+0+2Telekinetic Hammer (1d3 / 5 ft), Telekinetic Force
2nd+1+3+0+3Ranged Legerdemain (1/day per level)
3rd+2+3+1+3Telekinetic Reflection +1
4th+3+4+1+4Telekinetic Hammer (2d4 / 10 ft)
5th+3+4+1+4Telekinetic Storm +1 steps
6th+4+5+2+5Telekinetic Combat Maneuver
7th+5+5+2+5Telekinetic Reflection +2
8th+6/+1+6+2+6Telekinetic Hammer (3d6 / 15 ft)
9th+6/+1+6+3+6Telekinetic Storm +2 steps
10th+7/+2+7+3+7Telekinetic Flight
11th+8/+3+7+3+7Telekinetic Reflection +3
12th+9/+4+8+4+8Telekinetic Hammer (4d8 / 20 ft)
13th+9/+4+8+4+8Telekinetic Storm +3 steps
14th+10/+5+9+4+9Telekinetic Wave
15th+11/+6/+1+9+5+9Telekinetic Reflection +4
16th+12/+7/+2+10+5+10Telekinetic Hammer (5d10 / 25 ft)
17th+12/+7/+2+10+5+10Telekinetic Storm +4 steps
18th+13/+8/+3+11+6+11Telekinetic Bubble
19th+14/+9/+4+11+6+11Telekinetic Reflection +5
20th+15/+10/+5+12+6+12Telekinetic Hammer (6d12 / 30 ft)

Additional Class Skills: Balance, Escape Artist

Telekinetic Force (Su)
As given in the OP. The speed at which objects can be moved equals 30' / round per class level.
Optional: Telekinetic Force extends to Long Range (400 ft. + 40 ft./level). Anything beyond that is nonstandard and seems pointless to me.

Telekinetic Hammer (Ex)
As given in the OP for Psychic Hammer.
Telekinetic Hammer is a ranged-touch attack that's applicable for iterative attacks. Only BAB that's obtained by Telekine levels is applicable for iterative attacks when making a Telekinetic Hammer attack.
Telekinetic Hammer deals Force damage.
Telekinetic Hammer is inapplicable for AoOs.

Telekinetic Reflection (Su)
As given in the OP. Telekinetic Reflection grants deflection bonus to AC according to the given value.
Attacks that are redirected back at the source don't automatically hit, but rather are resolved at the attacker's normal attack roll.

Telekinetic Storm (Su)
As given in the OP. The telekine is affected less severely by ambient wind (self only) according to the number of steps s/he can modify.

Telekinetic Combat Maneuver (Ex)
Starting at 6th level, When making a Telekinetic Hammer attack, you may spend a use of Ranged Legerdemain ability to perform any standard combat maneuver (Bull Rush, Disarm, Grapple, Overrun or Trip).
When using Telekinetic Combat Maneuver, the maneuver's normally associated ability score is replaced with the telekine's Charisma modifier.
Using Grapple telekinetically requires concentration.
The target of your telekinetic Grapple cannot gain a hold or pin, only avoid disadvantage. Your telekinetic Grapple counts as a creature whose size equals that of the target.

Telekinetic Flight (Ex)
At 10th level, you become airborne, and may fly telekinetically indefinitely. This requires no special effort on your part.

Telekinetic Wave (Su)
Starting at 14th level, when making a Telekinetic Hammer attack, as a standard action, you may spend a use of Ranged Legerdemain ability to influence all creatures and objects in a 30' cone.
You may spend multiple daily uses of Ranged Legerdemain to double/triple/quadruple/etc. the range of the cone.

Telekinetic Bubble (Su)
Starting at 18th level, you may spend 3 uses daily of Ranged Legerdemain as a standard action to produce a Telekinetic Sphere spell effect

Telekine Feats:

Enhanced Telekinetic Reflection
Requirements: Telekinetic Reflection ability
Benefits: The power of your Telekinetic Reflection increases by +2.
Special: This feat may be taken for the second time starting at level 11 and for the third time starting at level 19.

Enhanced Telekinetic Storm
Requirements: Telekinetic Storm ability
Benefits: Your power over winds increases by 1 step.
Special: This feat may be taken for the second time starting at level 13.

Extra Ranged Legerdemain
Requirements: Ranged Legerdemain
Benefit: You gain 4 additional daily uses of Ranged Legerdemain.

Telekinetic Wave Arc
Requirements: Telekinetic Wave
Benefit: You may launch a Telekinetic Wave at varying degrees of 30-degree increments, all the way from 30-degrees to 360-degrees.

Telekinetic Wave Sphere
Requirements: Telekinetic Wave Arc
Benefit: You may launch a Telekinetic Wave as a sphere attack all around you, or a hemisphere.

Telesonic Hammer
Requirements: Telekinetic Hammer
Benefit: You may deal Sonic damage with your Telekinetic Hammer attack instead of force damage.

Epic Telekine:

- Telekinetic Hammer: At level 24 and each 4 levels thereafter, use Size Increase rules to re-calculate damage.

- Telekinetic Weight: Continues to double at level 22 and each 3 levels thereafter.

- Telekinetic Reflection: Increases by +1 at level 23 and each 4 levels thereafter. You may take Enhanced Telekinetic Reflection feat an additional time at level 21 and every 8 levels thereafter.

- Telekinetic Storm: Influence increases by 1 step at level 20 and each 4 levels thereafter. This continues to remain relevant indefinitely when confronting opponents that have the power to influence winds. You may take Enhanced Telekinetic Storm feat an additional time at level 26 and every 8 levels thereafter.