PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Atavist, class. An in-playtesting blood warrior mage.

SwordMeow
2017-12-11, 04:29 PM
This class has been around for a few months, but for the last few, I have only fixed minor wording issues. I'm interested in what you all think of it, just to get some different perspective than groups I normally frequent.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B40nce9YZ1MbdXVWaFlvSTFYWUk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QKWElh9GVfAt61-79a5Gb0Y4BKuIl0L3/view?usp=sharing

Any critique welcome.

Some open ended questions:

Is this class too easy to die early on without skillful play?

Is optimal play for this class intuitive?

How would this class scale in campaigns with lower encounters a day as the usual versus the max/module levels?

noob
2017-12-11, 05:19 PM
Humansbane is both very specific and not that much useful when it comes into play.
Is it a good idea to have that on a class?

SwordMeow
2017-12-11, 05:32 PM
Humansbane...

It's mostly a potent ribbon. Yeah, it won't be too powerful, but I think it really executes flavor - the destruction of commoners and lesser people really easily done.

Blackbando
2017-12-12, 08:45 AM
I really like this class! I've always loved classes that have a blood-based theme, because I'm an edgelord, and this class just oozes quality! Plus, it uses Dark Arts for some stuff, and I adore that compendium.

I don't really have any critique for the class at the moment, since this class seems to be really great. I'm gonna try to play as one in the near future, most likely in a oneshot or something, and if I encounter any issues that need balancing, I'll post 'em here.

Edit: Actually, I do have a question, about one of the bonus subclasses. For Avatar of the Balor, when it states "you can create a whip of fire through use of thaumaturgy", does it mean you can only use it through thaumaturgy, or is it only formed through thaumaturgy and you can make weapon attacks with it?

SwordMeow
2017-12-12, 11:54 AM
For Avatar of the Balor, when it states "you can create a whip of fire through use of thaumaturgy", does it mean you can only use it through thaumaturgy, or is it only formed through thaumaturgy and you can make weapon attacks with it?

By casting thaumaturgy (which is a bonus action for you) you create a whip, like the weapon whip. Then it gets changed to used Con and d12, but yeah, you make weapon attacks with it.

I'm glad you like it! the DA compendium was the first brew we ever used and the DM used it to create antagonists, so it has a special place in my heart (I think it should be wholesale in every d&d game but that's not gonna happen). I decided to make the class to tackle con casting, make a proper blood warrior, and because it's fun.

Deadfire182
2019-01-14, 07:26 AM
This class is amazing, and I love the unique approach to hemomancy that you've taken. I can't wait to try this out in a game!