PDA

View Full Version : Time stop vase drop

Crow_Nightfeath
2017-12-12, 03:13 AM
So I'm wondering if during time stop since it says you can affect non attended objects. I'm wondering if you were to try placing say a vase in the air above someone's head would it just drop then or would it be frozen in time after you let it go and drop after time stop ends?

Kurald Galain
2017-12-12, 03:18 AM
I'd say it would hang in place until the timestop ends, and then the creature underneath gets a reflex save to avoid damage by falling object.

Also, that's a great name for a band!

The_Iron_Lord
2017-12-13, 11:19 AM
Also, that's a great name for a band!

Shouldn't it be "Time Stop Bass Drop"?
:smallbiggrin:

Hiro Quester
2017-12-13, 12:12 PM
I used to play in a group that ruled that others are immune to anything you do to them until the time stop resumes. (See the Epic Seed Transport (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/transport.htm)'s time stop variant:

While the caster is in the fast time stream, other creatures are invulnerable to his or her attacks and spells; however, the caster can create spell effects and leave them to take effect when he or she reenters normal time.

So if you cast an avalanche in time stop, they take no damage from the falling rocks dan snow you create, but they are still trapped until the rubble and have to deal with the consequences of that.

So in that case the vase would bounce off them harmlessly.

The group I play in now focuses on this clause:

While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you cannot target such creatures with any attack or spell

So we read that "cannot" as sort of like the gods or forces of magic retract their permission if you do stuff like that.

So if you take an action that directly affects another character (usually recognized by whether they would normally get a saving throw or would be able to respond--i.e. not flat footed), the time stop immediately ends and the effect resolves in real time.

In that case the vase dropped would end the time stop, and they would be able to react to a falling vase.

Crow_Nightfeath
2017-12-14, 02:41 AM
I know that you can't hurt anyone during it. I'm asking if you were to pick up a vase during time stop and then let go of it would it drop to the floor during the time stop or after the time stop ends?

Celestia
2017-12-14, 03:41 AM
I'd say the vase falls on the person's head and breaks but does no damage. I feel like being able to freeze objects in place based on nothing more than their trajectory leads to too many potential exploits.

Melcar
2017-12-14, 04:20 AM
So I'm wondering if during time stop since it says you can affect non attended objects. I'm wondering if you were to try placing say a vase in the air above someone's head would it just drop then or would it be frozen in time after you let it go and drop after time stop ends?

It wound be frozen and start falling when the time stop ends! Probably giving your enemy a reflex save to avoid and/or dealing what ever fall damage a few feat would do, which would probably be 1d6 per 10 ft. of distance! So in your case probably none!

I used to play in a group that ruled that others are immune to anything you do to them until the time stop resumes. (See the Epic Seed Transport (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/transport.htm)'s time stop variant:

Sure... but that is why you do things around them, so as to catch them when the time stop ends. Forcecage, is an example of this. So is a wall of iron above their heads. Both have zero interaction with the target during the time stop. Hell make a barred cell, pop maw of chaos under them go to town and wait!!!... or forget the cage and simply place a gate horizontally under them to the far realms. As soon as the time stop ends they will start falling!

Since non of my above enables have any interactions with the target during time stop but only take effect after, they can all be used!!! The reason for this is that your not targeting them! You are placing effects that has a duration around them. That will effect them normally, when the time stop ends!! Again AOE effects with a duration is a raw legal way of placing harming or debilitating effects which will come online or take effect on your enemy when the time stop ends!

I know that you can't hurt anyone during it. I'm asking if you were to pick up a vase during time stop and then let go of it would it drop to the floor during the time stop or after the time stop ends?

After he time stop ends!!!

This is basically what timestop looks like except even faster!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GFyZ5LREQ

ManicOppressive
2017-12-14, 04:53 AM
For a mechanically similar and precedented example, look no further than Delayed Blast Fireball, which can be cast during Time Stop and will still blow up and hurt people afterward.

You can't attack or directly target anyone with a spell during Time Stop, but those are the only restrictions. Putting a vase above someone's head isn't an attack, because attack is an explicitly defined term in D&D.

Two relevant lines:

A spell that affects an area and has a duration longer than the remaining duration of the time stop (such as cloudkill) have their normal effects on other creatures once the time stop ends.

This includes damage because damage is an effect of the spell.

You cannot move or harm items held, carried, or worn by a creature stuck in normal time, but you can affect any item that is not in another creature's possession.

You can totally pick up and drop a vase.

The question of whether or not the base hangs in the air or just drops in Time Stop is entirely subjective, because D&D has never had good or consistent rules for off-turn gravity and Time Stop doesn't say whether the items are affected for the entire duration the moment you touch them or only as long as you're affecting them.

martixy
2017-12-14, 05:51 AM
I side with Kurald.

I also wonder about the mechanics of trying to breathe or move through non-accelerated air. I don't really wanna kill any catgirls, but thinking about the drag and forces one would have to contend with in such an accelerated time frame is an amusing picture. See that Quicksilver scene for reference.