PDA

View Full Version : With Robert Adduci stepping down from AL, he talks about the next 5e Campaign Setting

mgshamster
2017-12-12, 07:34 AM
Yesterday the announcement came that Robert Adduci is stepping down as the lead on AL. In his announcement, he said the following:

So, what will I do with all my copious free time? Well besides write for the Guild Adepts and get my AO’s on the DMsGuild, I have a couple of other irons in the fire. The only one I can talk about at the moment is a project I will be Lead Story and Game Designer on and that is Scavenger. Scavenger is a fantasy world from the mind and artistic skills of Alexandru Negoita (a video game art industry veteran with Electronic Arts, Gameloft, & King), Scavenger will be a beautifully illustrated artbook and campaign setting for 5th edition set in a ravaged world with a gateway to other dimensions. The setting and game design for Scavenger is already started and if you want to take a peek at some of it you can read a brief introduction to Scavenger on my Patreon. In addition, I’ll be running an open world Scavenger game exclusively for my Patrons.
www.pandemoniumart.net/scavenger/
Scavenger Intro: https://www.patreon.com/posts/scavenger-15762148

(Emphasis mine)

Looks like we'll be getting some brand new material soon!

Unoriginal
2017-12-12, 07:57 AM
Well I'll be damned.

Giventhe name and the artworks, I think we're getting something kind of like Cugel the Clever's stories

Regitnui
2017-12-12, 08:03 AM
Change the topic title. I thought this was official. WotC doesn't need to Kickstart their own IP.

mgshamster
2017-12-12, 08:04 AM
So what is Scavanged Worlds?

Robert says it will not be easily ported over from Forgotten Realms, so we can be assured that it's completely different.

Here's what it is:

What follows is a brief introduction to the world of Scavenger, the setting for an open world campaign for backers of this Patreon:

Akara, our world is dying and The Relic is too dangerous for everyone to survive in it. So, now we wait while the scavengers plunder The Relic for its shards and try to open the pylons to a friendly slant. ~ Watcher Text

Aside from a few isolated city-states, dust and ashes are all that remains of civilization across the continent of Akara. One such city-state offers hope for the beleaguered people of the world. Raddak sits with its massive pylon, a monumental gateway in the form of two tapering towers, in the center of the city that leads to The Relic, the possible salvation of the people of Akara.

The cause of the Great Dying is unknown, but much of the sentient life across Akara has withered and many animals larger than a rabbit have ceased to exist. At the same time other strange life has appeared and threatens the sentient life that remains on Akara. In addition to humans Akara is is also home to Kith, small nocturnal tribal hunters, and Moluk, strong four armed hulks towering 7 feet or more. Those that didn’t die from the Great Dying are often hunted and killed by Scren a sentient vaguely humanoid race with, four legs, vicious claws, bony carapace that is nearly impervious to even metal weapons, and a tail ending in a deadly stinger. Scren take no part in communications with human, kith, or moluk and seemingly only live to kill and eat other sentient creatures.

With the dying of many people, plants, and animals the fabric of civilization has fallen from Akara. Strength of arms has become the rule of law in the deadlands. In the verdant valleys of the city-states civilization clings to Akara precariously, held together by desperation.

While Raddak is self sustainable, some trading caravans come and go to other distant cities like Dal Raka, Kanuma, or Bataar, but people stream into Raddak, telling of the brutal despots of other city-states or desperation in the deadlands. They come to Raddak clinging to hope that the rumors of the Relic and the pylons are true, that there might yet be a slant welcoming to the survivors of Akara or perhaps they’ve heard of the wealth and power bestowed by shards and the scavengers that find them.

When travelers arrive in Raddak many are as surprised by the apparent peace that envelops the city as they are by the wondrous shard powered devices that are more technologically advanced than anything on Akara. Shard weapons prevent open war, however, machinations between the city’s factions cause strife and chaos in the daily lives of Raddakians. The struggle to obtain shards and devices from within the Relic fuels power plays by the city’s factions. Each faction hires or otherwise obtains scavengers to enter the Relic and find the precious shards, while simultaneously searching for ways to find and open the pylons that dot the landscape in The Relic.

The few pylons that have been found and opened in the Relic lead to other places that resemble Akara in many ways, but have one or more major differences making life there hostile or at least unwelcoming. The scavengers have taken to calling these places “slants”, as they resemble Akara if looked at from a different angle. The people of Raddak hope that a scavenger will find a slant that is a more idyllic world where the people of Akara can move to, free of the aftermath of the Great Dying and the predations of the Scren.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-12-12, 08:07 AM
D&D: the game of constructing additional pylons.

The look and description made me think of Zendikar mostly.

KorvinStarmast
2017-12-12, 08:29 AM
D&D: the game of constructing additional pylons. Heh, I wonder if Zeratul will drop by for a visit. :smallcool:

This "dying earth" theme reaches back to Jack Vance, as well as to Dark Sun. I also see some inspiration taken from the native fauna of Tekumel's setting (Empire of the Petal Throne, 1975, Barker) and the tech / sci fi theme woven in as well.

Scren a sentient vaguely humanoid race with, four legs, vicious claws, bony carapace that is nearly impervious to even metal weapons, and a tail ending in a deadly stinger. I wonder if they are cousins to the Ssu and the Hlyss. (Hmm, now called the Hlüss in the later versions, it seems).

QuickLyRaiNbow
2017-12-12, 08:40 AM
Seems a little Dark Sun Meets Torment: Tides of Numenera. Looking forward to it.

Corsair14
2017-12-12, 08:51 AM
I was thinking Rifts and Planescape together without psionics. Liking the concept so far. D&D needs a new campaign world that's not generic fantasy, well really it needs anything that's not FR so this should be cool.

Glorthindel
2017-12-12, 08:57 AM
Well, that seems to put a bullet in the head of any potential Dark Sun (and even Planescape) release, since it seems to directly step on both settings toes (being a post-apocalyse setting, and playing with portals), and Wizards would likely be trying to step in his way if they were planning on releasing anything for those settings which he could potentially steal the thunder from.

Unoriginal
2017-12-12, 09:03 AM
Doubt that. The Dark Sun setting book wouldn't be for anytime soon, if they are working on it, and this could be a way to create interest in the genre.

What we're getting next is a Plane book, though.

mgshamster
2017-12-12, 09:06 AM
Doubt that. The Dark Sun setting book wouldn't be for anytime soon, if they are working on it, and this could be a way to create interest in the genre.

What we're getting next is a Plane book, though.

I agree that planes are next. All my planescape material was recently removed from the DMs Guild, even after a previous ruling that it was ok to host.