PDA

View Full Version : Hands off my giant!

Malapterus
2017-12-12, 10:33 AM
If you cut the hand off a Colossal giant & animated ut as a unique creature, what Size would it be?

Ashtagon
2017-12-12, 10:41 AM
If you cut the hand off a Colossal giant & animated ut as a unique creature, what Size would it be?

I'd say a hand is about four size classes smaller than the base humanoid, so Medium.

Pleh
2017-12-12, 10:43 AM
PF has the Crawling Hand as diminuitive, telling us a humanoid hand is 3 sizes smaller than its larger body.

Pick 3 sizes smaller than colossal.

Inevitability
2017-12-12, 11:47 AM
There's a demilich in the ELH that's just a skeletal hand. A Colossal creature that becomes a demilich would shrink down to Large size.

So I'm saying Large, personally.

Thurbane
2017-12-12, 04:40 PM
Not sure it helps for comparison, but:

Crawling Head (FF p.35) [severed giant's head] is Huge.
Deathshead (ToM p.81) [severed giant's head] is Small.

PF has the Crawling Hand as diminuitive, telling us a humanoid hand is 3 sizes smaller than its larger body.

Pick 3 sizes smaller than colossal.

Monsters of Faerun (p.29) has the Crawling Claw, which is also Diminutive, so this is probably a good indicator.

3 sizes smaller than Colossal is Large.

Lapak
2017-12-12, 04:44 PM
I have nothing to add to these others except praise for your choice of thread title. A+.

Malapterus
2017-12-13, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the hand, everyone

Thurbane
2017-12-13, 04:40 PM

https://i.imgur.com/gooMuLD.gif

Baby Gary
2017-12-13, 10:36 PM

The pun level is over 9000!!!! quick! everyone evacuate the area, it seems someone has released a bad joke.

Seharvepernfan
2017-12-14, 10:44 PM
Enlarge person doubles your height. We can derive from that that each size category should double your height.

Medium - 6ft
Large - 12ft (consistent with giants)
Huge - 24ft (cloud giant = 18ft, storm giant 21ft, titan 25ft - consistent)
Gargantuan - 48ft
Colossal - 96ft (wow)

According to google, adult male hand length is about 7.44 inches; let's say 7.5.

large - 15 inches
huge - 30 inches
garg - 60 inches
colo - 120 inches aka 10ft aka large sized

ShurikVch
2017-12-15, 12:23 PM
Some notes:

Weapon Size (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize):
A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder.So, Light weapon is two size categories smaller than the wielder; Gauntlet and Unarmed strike are Light weapons

Swarm of crawling claws (Lost Empires of Faerûn) "is created from the hands of three hundred Medium or Small humanoids"; the creature itself is "Tiny Construct (Swarm)"

So, two categories smaller in the first example, and two or one - in the second one
It looks pretty consistent
Thus, size of Colossal Giant's hand is Huge