PDA

View Full Version : A Cleric's Delimma Part 2

Josato
2017-12-12, 11:18 AM
cleric of Pelor here,

So far everything has been gravy with the party. Been working together as a great team. But recently the necklace has made the snake guy looking paler and gaunt. My cleric was too busy dying to notice. But when the next session happens im afraid he will find out and when he does there is only three outcomes for it.

1. Leave the party and report to the legion of the gauntlet and the church about said person and necklace.

2. Stay in party Keep tabs on snake person and personally inform the temple about said person whenever we get to town.

3. Lich necklace gets a wiff of my ideas and murders me.

How will the party get another healer when the word gets out and what should i do?

The_Jette
2017-12-12, 11:22 AM
cleric of Pelor here,

So far everything has been gravy with the party. Been working together as a great team. But recently the necklace has made the snake guy looking paler and gaunt. My cleric was too busy dying to notice. But when the next session happens im afraid he will find out and when he does there is only three outcomes for it.

1. Leave the party and report to the legion of the gauntlet and the church about said person and necklace.

2. Stay in party Keep tabs on snake person and personally inform the temple about said person whenever we get to town.

3. Lich necklace gets a wiff of my ideas and murders me.

How will the party get another healer when the word gets out and what should i do?

Why don't you just get the rest of the party to agree to help you take the necklace off the guy so you can keep him from getting possessed, or whatever it is that is going on? Why wait until it's too late?

Josato
2017-12-12, 11:42 AM
Why don't you just get the rest of the party to agree to help you take the necklace off the guy so you can keep him from getting possessed, or whatever it is that is going on? Why wait until it's too late?

The necklace is a liches phylactery and the lich has made the sorcerer his apprentence and is aiding him by giving him power ( raise dead spell and made some magic bone dice for him). My cleric know he has a necjlace that the sorcerer isnt willing to show him. So he has no idea what it does. He thinks it might be a cursed item.

Out of game the sorcerer character wont give it up for anything and will do anything to stay out of jail.

The_Jette
2017-12-12, 12:11 PM
The necklace is a liches phylactery and the lich has made the sorcerer his apprentence and is aiding him by giving him power ( raise dead spell and made some magic bone dice for him). My cleric know he has a necjlace that the sorcerer isnt willing to show him. So he has no idea what it does. He thinks it might be a cursed item.

Out of game the sorcerer character wont give it up for anything and will do anything to stay out of jail.

Is it just the two of you? Because, the rest of the party should be worried about your ally's obvious descent into evil and madness.

Josato
2017-12-12, 01:05 PM
Is it just the two of you? Because, the rest of the party should be worried about your ally's obvious descent into evil and madness.

Well the rest of the party is neutral about it. One is a crazy pyromancer, other is a emberkin pirate monk, the other two are a drow ranger and duegar barbarian.
They like that the party is doing well where other parties have failed. So they want me to not bother.

The_Jette
2017-12-12, 01:08 PM
Well the rest of the party is neutral about it. One is a crazy pyromancer, other is a emberkin pirate monk, the other two are a drow ranger and duegar barbarian.
They like that the party is doing well where other parties have failed. So they want me to not bother.

Sadly, all you can do, if you want to keep true to the character, is leave. Hand your character sheet to the DM and have him become an NPC that is going to the closest fort, or city, to gather up reinforcements to go take the necklace away from the PC, by force if necessary. Then, create another character who doesn't have a problem with evil in their midst. Otherwise, stick around and wait to die when the party chooses him over you.

Josato
2017-12-12, 01:18 PM
Sadly, all you can do, if you want to keep true to the character, is leave. Hand your character sheet to the DM and have him become an NPC that is going to the closest fort, or city, to gather up reinforcements to go take the necklace away from the PC, by force if necessary. Then, create another character who doesn't have a problem with evil in their midst. Otherwise, stick around and wait to die when the party chooses him over you.

A fair assessment. Right now the team is going back to town to resupply and prep for a dragon. I plan to have him pay people to investigate this person and figure out what the necklace is. If he succeeds he will mail back their money ( i am the accountant of the group) and magic items with a letter of resignation and disownership of the port. Problem is i cant think of a decent healer class beside druid and cleric. I can barely think of a bard build.

Galadhrim
2017-12-12, 02:34 PM
A fair assessment. Right now the team is going back to town to resupply and prep for a dragon. I plan to have him pay people to investigate this person and figure out what the necklace is. If he succeeds he will mail back their money ( i am the accountant of the group) and magic items with a letter of resignation and disownership of the port. Problem is i cant think of a decent healer class beside druid and cleric. I can barely think of a bard build.

Well, not all cleric's have to be good aligned. You could play an evil cleric that wouldn't care at all that this guy is a Lich's apprentice.

lunaticfringe
2017-12-12, 03:29 PM
So in old school/now legends Star Wars lore Dark Siders were better healers than Light Siders. So Evil being Healy is not unheard of.

An assassin (not the rogue subclass) could easily study the healing arts to better understand the body & how to kill it. Many Army Spec Ops train medical knowledge and still shoot people in the face. Medicine in high doses is Poison. A slip while treating someone can kill them. And finally all clerics have access to Harm/Inflict and Cure Spells, alignment means squat.

Patching up your teammates doesn't make you nice or a good guy, it means you have a skill set. There is no Hippocratic Oath in the Land of Make Believe.

Josato
2017-12-12, 04:17 PM
So in old school/now legends Star Wars lore Dark Siders were better healers than Light Siders. So Evil being Healy is not unheard of.

An assassin (not the rogue subclass) could easily study the healing arts to better understand the body & how to kill it. Many Army Spec Ops train medical knowledge and still shoot people in the face. Medicine in high doses is Poison. A slip while treating someone can kill them. And finally all clerics have access to Harm/Inflict and Cure Spells, alignment means squat.

Patching up your teammates doesn't make you nice or a good guy, it means you have a skill set. There is no Hippocratic Oath in the Land of Make Believe.

I understand that. But clerics are holy men serving a deity. My just happens to serve Pelor. I am thinking of making one that doesnt have a faith or the blood of vol.

lunaticfringe
2017-12-12, 04:32 PM
I understand that. But clerics are holy men serving a deity. My just happens to serve Pelor. I am thinking of making one that doesnt have a faith or the blood of vol.

I wasn't referring to your current guy, I was referring to the potential new Character. I thought you were having problems wrapping your head around the Not Nice Healer Type (a common problem), apologies for the assumption.

I already weighed in on your current situation in a previous & similar thread. You rolled Captain Morality in an immoral/amoral group. I support a resign & reroll if possible so you don't become That Guy.

Ventruenox
2017-12-12, 04:37 PM
There is no Hippocratic Oath in the Land of Make Believe.

http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/images/mrn/episodes/1047/snapshot20130423052601.jpg

Doctor Bill Platypus (http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/mrn/characters/dr_bill/index.html) would disagree with you. He & his wife moved to the Land of Make Believe after Dr. Frogg moved to Westwood.

I digress.

There is nothing to say that the Cleric of Pelor can't be tricked by the rest of the party into thinking that the "cursed necklace" was given to the sorcerer as a burden to bear for the greater good. As long as he's not making Insight checks into the lie, your Cleric can think he's part of some Fellowship of the MacGuffin. He may start viewing the Sorcerer with pity instead of contempt.

That being said, the Cleric seems to be the moral odd one out of that party composition. Maybe play Rick Flagg amongst the Suicide Squad?

Josato
2017-12-12, 10:54 PM
I wasn't referring to your current guy, I was referring to the potential new Character. I thought you were having problems wrapping your head around the Not Nice Healer Type (a common problem), apologies for the assumption.

I already weighed in on your current situation in a previous & similar thread. You rolled Captain Morality in an immoral/amoral group. I support a resign & reroll if possible so you don't become That Guy.

No worries. I appreciate your help and i do remember your post. I am new to this group and made a character hastily. Was thinking of a vengeful firblog of the forge with a level in war wizard to give him ac boost during combat ( may be unnecessary). Still pondering though.

Josato
2017-12-12, 11:03 PM
http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/images/mrn/episodes/1047/snapshot20130423052601.jpg

Doctor Bill Platypus (http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/mrn/characters/dr_bill/index.html) would disagree with you. He & his wife moved to the Land of Make Believe after Dr. Frogg moved to Westwood.

I digress.

There is nothing to say that the Cleric of Pelor can't be tricked by the rest of the party into thinking that the "cursed necklace" was given to the sorcerer as a burden to bear for the greater good. As long as he's not making Insight checks into the lie, your Cleric can think he's part of some Fellowship of the MacGuffin. He may start viewing the Sorcerer with pity instead of contempt.

That being said, the Cleric seems to be the moral odd one out of that party composition. Maybe play Rick Flagg amongst the Suicide Squad?

Haha, Hilarious. I wish my group was that crafty to trick me. The DM was pointing me in that direction but at this point it would have to be a herald or high priest to order me to watch over these criminals. I doubt the DM is going to though.