PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with Hexblade build

trctelles
2017-12-12, 01:38 PM
After considering going a PadLock build, I tossed it all out and decided to go Full (mostly) Hexblade Warlock.
I tought about starting lvl 1 as a fighter to grab de CON proficiency and Great Weapon Fighting (Glaivelock), and then going full on Hexblade. Or maybe Fighter 3/ Hexblade 17 to get Battle Master and have some more short rest stuff to burn.

The thing is that the only maneuver that got me interested are the Precision Attack and Parry (when I don't feel like using a spell slot for Shield). Trip Attack is OK, but since I won't get much DEX (+2 at max) the DC won't be that high, and I can knock enemies prone 100% with Eldritch Smite. MAYBE Menacing Strike, but I'm not all that sure...

With Battle Master 3/ Hexblade 17 I'll lose 1 invocation and 1 ASI, which I'm not that sure are THAT big of a deal. We'll roll for stats, so maybe I'll be able to grab Plate if I manage to get STR 15, but it's not a sure thing...

I need some help deciding if I should go Fighter 1/ Warlock 19 or Fighter 3/ Warlock 17. Any idea is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Easy_Lee
2017-12-12, 01:47 PM
What level will you start, and how high do you expect the campaign to go?

Knowing nothing else, I'd opt for pure hexblade as you don't need much from fighter. Barring that, fighter 2 / Hexblade is my recommendation. If you're going to take one level of fighter, you may as well take two and pick up action surge; it's a big deal.

Chugger
2017-12-12, 01:52 PM
Are you playing from lvl 1 up or starting much higher?

I see all these build posts talking about end-game lvl 15 to 20 stuff - no one ever plays that high. You get burned out by lvl 12 and move on, most of the time.

Focus on what would be fun and work for you lvls 1 to 10! Now if I'm wrong - if you're really really really gonna stick with it and go to 20 and kill tiamat and all that, fine. Focus on end-game. But are you really gonna do that?

Mikal
2017-12-12, 02:06 PM
For your fighting style if you can use UA use tunnel fighting.
If you can't use UA take defensive.

+1 AC is better than rerolling the rare time you get a 1 or 2 on your Glaive (as GWF only allows you to reroll weapon damage dice...) that you might roll again anyway.

I see you're thinking Battlemaster. It's a solid choice for multiclassing though the maneuvers will be slightly weaker since they key off your str or dex (dex in your case, most likely). Personally, I like the idea of a Hexblade 12/Battlemaster 4/College of Swords 4.

You get bardic casting, you get the battlemaster maneuvers on short rest, you get blade flourishes on long rests, and you can combine them both together.
You also can choose dueling as your college of swords fighting style for those rare times you need to break out the longsword and shield cause you just need that extra defense.

I say stop at 12 for Hexblade cause the level 14 ability is poo now, and 12 gives you lifedrinker.

I've been playing a Hexblade from level 1 with that as my end point. Currently at 8.

One build I'd ever try if I could guarantee the campaign would go into the 20s would be a Oathbreaker 8/Hexblade 12. Charisma*3 to my melee damage? Yes sir!

trctelles
2017-12-12, 02:34 PM
We will start at lvl 1 and plan on going for as long as possible. I know most campaings won't go to lvl 20, and ours won't either, since we're all med students and next year will have to be at the hospital everyday (maybe play when there are no patients? That would be funny)

ANYWAY

Maybe will ditch the Fighter and just focus on going Hexblade. A idea came to mind: get Polearm Master, Warcaster and GWF, in this order.
This way I can use both ends of my Glaive to deal damage, and maybe Eldritch Smite 3 times in the same round for some nova damage (not sure if worth it because of spell slot economy) + 100% prone enemy; Warcaster give me advantage on concentration and I can cast with weapon and shiled (useless, since Hexblade+pact of the blade give me the same thing basically), BUT, the BEST PART, allow me to cast Eldritch Blast for up to 4 beams in the opportunity attack, and since I'll be using a Glaive, they won't be at 5 feet to impose disadvantage on the ranged spell attack. I can also grab Repelling Blast and cheese the F*** out of anyone that try to fight me in melee, since I'll push them and force them to come and take another opportunity attack (unless they use disengage or something similar).

For the invocations, I think I'll grab Agonizing Blast and False Life at lvl 2. Since I can cast it at will, it's 8 temporary HP everytime, because I'll just say "I'll cast it untill I get a 4 in the d4". Most of my party is melee (Barbarian, Bladesinger, Hexblade and a Rogue), so getting the Darkness + Devil Sight combo is not a priority ATM. I'll eventually grab Devil Sight and something else to replace False Life, but I don't want to handicap my party early on casting Darkness (unless whe pay REALLY close attention to positioning).

Mikal
2017-12-12, 02:43 PM
Maybe will ditch the Fighter and just focus on going Hexblade. A idea came to mind: get Polearm Master, Warcaster and GWF, in this order.

What race? V Human works well, but one thing that's always fun is going Half Elf and getting Elven Accuracy as the advantage reroll works since you're now using Charisma as your attack stat. I'm doing V-Human myself. Started with PAM for the extra attack, but decided to do Sentinel, then GWM, then Warcaster.

This way I can use both ends of my Glaive to deal damage, and maybe Eldritch Smite 3 times in the same round for some nova damage (not sure if worth it because of spell slot economy) + 100% prone enemy

I've found it's usually better to save the ES for when you either a) Crit to maximize the damage b) Need to burn something down ASAP, or c) Need a guaranteed way to knock someone prone, usually related to A or B.

; Warcaster give me advantage on concentration and I can cast with weapon and shiled (useless, since Hexblade+pact of the blade give me the same thing basically), BUT, the BEST PART, allow me to cast Eldritch Blast for up to 4 beams in the opportunity attack

Actually many DMs rule since you can choose different targets with EB you can't use Warcaster with it. Plus I think JC said the PAM OA you get needs to use the polearm in some way.
That being said, Booming Blade is great for this build. Extra damage after level 5, plus since they're 10 feet away thanks to PAM if they move in they take even more damage. You may need spell sniper to make BB work from 10 ft. though.

For the invocations, I think I'll grab Agonizing Blast and False Life at lvl 2. Since I can cast it at will, it's 8 temporary HP everytime, because I'll just say "I'll cast it untill I get a 4 in the d4". Most of my party is melee (Barbarian, Bladesinger, Hexblade and a Rogue), so getting the Darkness + Devil Sight combo is not a priority ATM. I'll eventually grab Devil Sight and something else to replace, but I don't want to handicap my party early on (unless whe pay REALLY close attention to positioning).

Darkness/Devil's Sight is a popular combo for a reason, and you have more room to be tactical in its use to not piss the party off. However, once you can cast 4th level spells, ditch it for Shadows of Moil. AKA it's better than Greater Invisibility in every way.

Easy_Lee
2017-12-12, 02:47 PM
That build seems like a better plan. Note: warlocks only have two spell slots for the longest time, so you can't eldritch smite three times until later on. But two is more than plenty for most purposes.

Be sure to clear EB+Warcaster+PM with the DM first, not because of the rules or Crawford or anything but because your DM may or may not choose to allow that at his own discretion.

Mikal
2017-12-12, 02:48 PM
That build seems like a better plan. Note: warlocks only have two spell slots for the longest time, so you can't eldritch smite three times until later on. But two is more than plenty for most purposes.

Funny thing is for my character I think I've used the option maybe twice. I've needed the spells more often to gain advantage (darkness/shadow of moil) utility (fly) or movement (misty step).

Easy_Lee
2017-12-12, 02:50 PM
Funny thing is for my character I think I've used the option maybe twice. I've needed the spells more often to gain advantage (darkness/shadow of moil) utility (fly) or movement (misty step).

Well, sure. Sorcadins don't always Quicken Hold Person and double smite crit people, either. But when they do...

trctelles
2017-12-12, 03:06 PM
What race?

I'm going Fallen Aasimar from Volos. I've already made the story and presented it to my DM. Also, I ALWAYS start v-human for the extra feat, but this time I'm trying something different

Actually many DMs rule since you can choose different targets with EB you can't use Warcaster with it.

I would aim all 4 beams(when I get that many anyway) at the same enemy, since my understanding of the rules make me think that opportunity attacks should work only in the guy that provoked it.

Booming Blade is great for this build

I'll get Booming Blade and Eldritch Blast at lvl 1 :smallwink:

However, once you can cast 4th level spells, ditch it for Shadows of Moil.

I didn't even knew this spell existed :smallbiggrin: It's quite good, I'll give it a try once I'm able to cast it

I'll talk to my DM and see his position on the Polearm Master + Warcast = EB thing. By RAW, it SHOULD work, but I'll talk to him first. JC give us HIS RAI point of view, but he won't be at our table so...

Easy_Lee
2017-12-12, 03:29 PM
I'll talk to my DM and see his position on the Polearm Master + Warcast = EB thing. By RAW, it SHOULD work, but I'll talk to him first. JC give us HIS RAI point of view, but he won't be at our table so...

I think that's the right attitude to have. Ultimately, your DM's ruling is the only one that matters.

trctelles
2017-12-12, 04:05 PM
I think that's the right attitude to have. Ultimately, your DM's ruling is the only one that matters.

I talked with him and he's OK with it, as long as I aim all beams on the enemy that triggered the OA. Since I need to roll each beam, and possibly miss a few, the damage will be consistent, but not OH MY GOD THIS IS OP...

Now I just have to hope for some good rolls when creating my Warlock, since I'll not get any ASI untill 16th lvl (Maybe I can delay GWM if my charisma is not 18~20 with the rolls)

Saggo
2017-12-12, 04:52 PM
Worth noting that Eldritch Smite is once per turn only.

trctelles
2017-12-12, 05:29 PM
Worth noting that Eldritch Smite is once per turn only.

Oh, I messed that part then. Thanks for the heads up!

borg286
2017-12-13, 06:32 AM
Consider dipping sorcerer 3 for more smite fodder and for twinning Booming Blade for the mere cost of 1 sorcery point. Booming Blade combos well with Warcaster and makes your Opportunity Attacks very sticky or damaging depending on how the DM rules the monster movement. Either you get juicy damage or the monster is now stuck 5' out with the conundrum of either taking automatic damage and continue his trek to the squishies or wasting his action waiting for the shield to time out.
Stone Sorcerer would be the way to help reduce MAD syndrome.
If you wanted to take it further (Stone sorcerer 6) the Aegis of assault, er I mean Stone Aegis, gives you a very versatile tool. Place your Aegis in a squishy ally and you reserve your reactions for opportunity attacks and Booming Blade to become one of the most sticky defenders in the game. Stick your Aegis on a frontline fighter to almost guarantee an extra attack leaving the foes behind with the Booming Blade conundrum. This latter approach opens wide the doors for foes to run past you as you've shown your hand by using up your reaction. This is a tradeoff of defensiveness for damage output. The fact that you can switch with a bonus action makes you very versatile.
The damage reduction from Stone Aegis is always welcome, though minor.

Mikal
2017-12-13, 06:49 AM
You can only smite with pact magic slots so sorcerer doesn't help with that regard.