PDA

View Full Version : Rary’s Interplannar Telepathic Bond

Max Caysey
2017-12-12, 09:30 PM
This spell says it functions like the normal version, since the normal version can be made permanent, can this improved version also be made perfect?

Thanks!!!

Daefos
2017-12-13, 03:14 AM
By RAW, no, since which spells can and cannot be made permanent are determined the Permanency spell. If it’s not on that list, it’s not an option, no matter how much it functions like something that is.

That being said, it’s not an unreasonable house rule to allow it, if you can work out with your DM how much it costs.

Max Caysey
2017-12-13, 06:44 AM
By RAW, no, since which spells can and cannot be made permanent are determined the Permanency spell. If it’s not on that list, it’s not an option, no matter how much it functions like something that is.

That being said, it’s not an unreasonable house rule to allow it, if you can work out with your DM how much it costs.

I see... I kind of thought so! Basically I would reason that since there are level 9 spells on the list of permanentable spells... an improved version of a spell already on that list I too would argue that it would be doable.

What would be a good way of going about it.... Research it like an individual spell, or something different?

Bullet06320
2017-12-13, 06:49 AM
What would be a good way of going about it.... Research it like an individual spell, or something different?

that would work, maybe reducing the cost a bit, since your not researching a new spell, but a new effect of an existing spell

Bronk
2017-12-13, 01:24 PM
I see... I kind of thought so! Basically I would reason that since there are level 9 spells on the list of permanentable spells... an improved version of a spell already on that list I too would argue that it would be doable.

Thing is, there are other spells out there that can be made permanent that aren't listed in the original list, it's just that they also call out in their description that they can be made permanent. An example would be Clearstone from Lost Empires of Faerun.

So, I think it should work, for the reasons you originally brought up. It does say it works like the lesser spell, and that spell spells out that it can be permanencied.

On the other hand, if you had to research a new spell, I think it would be more cost effective to research a new version of Permanency instead. It's a lower level, and you could just have it be the same spell but with a better set of spells you could use it on.