PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Thinking of building a hexblade/paladin

holywhippet
2017-12-13, 02:57 AM
My current character is still alive and well, although our DM has had us making daily charisma saves with no explanation as to why and making us note down numbers if we fail them.

So I'm thinking up my next character in advance and I'm currently thinking oath of devotion paladin with a level or so of hexblade. The first thing I'm wondering is how many levels of hexblade to take. One seems like it should be enough since it gives me the most important ability which is to be able to use charisma for my weapon attack rolls and damage. A second level would give me eldritch invocations and another spell slot but I can't see any invocation that really grabs me. A third level would let me take a pact boon but none of them grab me enough to justify spending a level on it.

My second thought it what race to take. Half elf seems a likely choice but my current character is already a half elf so I was thinking of trying something else. I'm leaning towards a tiefling due to their abilities and charisma bonus. But I was also thinking about a lightfoot halfling due to their luck ability. This build will focus on single handed weapons so size won't really be a problem.

Another thought I had is what weapon to use. The hexblade's ability to use charisma for weapons attack (nicely stacking with the paladin's sacred weapon ability) is only for weapons without the two-handed property. Technically a lance doesn't have that property and I could always mount my halfling on a riding dog or something in combat.

prototype00
2017-12-13, 03:48 AM
Hexblade + Pact of the Blade = fight with any Weapon based on Charisma.

I recommend a Glaive.

holywhippet
2017-12-13, 04:17 AM
Ah, ok. I missed the bit at the end regarding the pact of the blade bonus. Hmm, I'm still tempted to use a lance though since I could, in theory, use the dueling fighting style to get +2 damage while still mounted. I'd get disadvantage if forced to attack an enemy right next to me, but between sacred weapon and hex warrior I'd have at least +8 on most attacks anyway.

Any thoughts on a paladin mount though? Most of them don't have much in the way of HP although the mounted combatant feat could mitigate that. I didn't really want to take a feat in place of more charisma though.

Oramac
2017-12-13, 08:49 AM
If you really want to be mounted, grab whatever you can until you get Find Steed.

Personally, I'm planning a very similar build going Oath of Vengeance. But I'm planning to use a Greatsword, so I'll be going 4 Hexblade for Blade Pact and the ASI.

If you don't mind the lance, or you don't plan to use a two-handed weapon, one level of Hexblade is plenty. IMO the invocations aren't worth the extra investment at that point.

Mikal
2017-12-13, 09:32 AM
If you really want to be mounted, grab whatever you can until you get Find Steed.

Personally, I'm planning a very similar build going Oath of Vengeance. But I'm planning to use a Greatsword, so I'll be going 4 Hexblade for Blade Pact and the ASI.

If you don't mind the lance, or you don't plan to use a two-handed weapon, one level of Hexblade is plenty. IMO the invocations aren't worth the extra investment at that point.

Eh even with this I think OP will want pact of the blade. Otherwise you're stuck using the lance for the entire 8 hours, whether you're mounted or not. And since you have to be mounted to use it one handed, that means you only get Charisma to hit and damage while mounted.

When you're unmounted, you'll be stuck with dex/str. Either that or you use another weapon which you can keep while mounted and dismounted, such as longsword.

I'd recommend Hexblade 4 so you get the feat/ASI. you can make the lance your touched weapon while mounted, and go with whatever (glaive/halberd?) when dismounted.

Or you can go longsword for the other one since you want to keep shields and duelist.

Sception
2017-12-13, 10:24 AM
half elf really probably is the best, for the combination of ideal stat mods and eventual access to elven accuracy to get you trivantage without sacrificing stat progression (since you'll be bumping a starting 17 cha to 18 at the same time). skills (or better yet drow magic with the half drow variant from scag) and darkvision are just a bonus.

But if you don't want to play another half elf, there are other perfectly (if not equally perfectly) valid options. Paladins in general, and multiclass paladins in particular, are generally quite feat starved, so variant human is always a solid choice. Aasimar has great stat mods & features with an exceptionally strong thematic fit. Tiefling is an alright choice, though the thematic fit for devotion paladin involves playing a bit against type. Dragonborn is great if you swap devotion for tyranny, what with the decent stats and racial feat for another way to cause fear.

If you're going sword & board, then one level of hexblade is plenty. You might eventually take a second or third, but probably not before level 11 paladin, if ever. You'll probably want to pick up warcaster sooner rather than later, but even if you're a variant human you can't take it at first level, not unless you're willing to give up heavy armor from first level paladin, so your best options are probably inspiring leader, heavy armor master, or resilient (con). If you go with variant human at all.

honestly, instead of more warlock levels, you might be better served by jumping into celestial sorcerer after 6 or 11 levels of paladin. Solid thematic fit, more spell slots faster, some good spell pick ups from the cleric list, and metamagic quicken is always great on a gish, letting you cast spells and bop something with a sword in the same turn.

Crusher
2017-12-13, 10:46 AM
I recommend a Glaive.

No! Halberd!

Darth_Versity
2017-12-13, 12:36 PM
I've spent the last week trying to come up with a similar build, and in the end I've decided that paladin is unnecessary. I've instead made a Scourge Aasimar Hexblade. The aasimar provides a minor for of lay on hands. Warlock with Pact of the blade provides extra attack and smite with the right invocations. The only thing you really lose out on is heavy armour and a combat style, but in return you get more longevity during the day and eldritch blast.

holywhippet
2017-12-13, 03:28 PM
When you're unmounted, you'll be stuck with dex/str. Either that or you use another weapon which you can keep while mounted and dismounted, such as longsword.

I don't think that is quite correct. I can still use the lance while unmounted and use charisma. I just can't use a shield at the same time due to needing to wield it with two hands and I can't use duelist since I'm using a two-handed weapon.

Our DMs rule is that if you bring in a replacement or new character you start at one level lower than the party so I'd be starting at level 5 or possibly level 6 if we level up soon. I can cast find steed immediately if we start out at level 6 but I'd need to work out something suitable to call in as most mounts seem overly low on HP and AC for my needs.

I'd probably only be able to fight on a mount if I was a halfling or some other small creature since many combats are indoors and I could justify riding a dog inside, but not a horse. Come to think of it though, my mount would mostly only be susceptible to ranged or AoE attacks since if it is standing next to an enemy I'd get disadvantage on attacks so I'd need to keep my distance.

I was initially thinking of a hexblade and sorcerer combo with a focus on close range combat, then I realized I could be making a coffeelock and didn't want to go near that.

Mikal
2017-12-13, 03:34 PM
I don't think that is quite correct. I can still use the lance while unmounted and use charisma. I just can't use a shield at the same time due to needing to wield it with two hands and I can't use duelist since I'm using a two-handed weapon.

You have to use a lance two handed if you're not mounted. As such I'd rule that unless it was your pact weapon that breaks the two-handed rule for Hex Warrior and you can't use it.

YGMV (Your Game May Vary)

And yes, I'd still allow versatile weapons to be used two handed. The reason being that with the lance you are forced to use it two handed if unmounted, thus it's too unwieldy for Hex Warrior, while a longsword is not.

Though yes, you're right, RAW the lance doesn't have the two-handed property. Hence why I said I'd rule it that way.

(Trying to cut off tangents in the bud!)

JoyfulJester
2017-12-13, 03:45 PM
I've got a similar situation. Going fallen Aasimar, paladin 1, warlock 1 (hexblade), paladin 2 (divine smite), warlock 2, warlock 3 pact of the blade (eldritch smite), warlock 4 ASI, paladin 3 oath of conquest.

Going for a fear themed build. I'll also take devil's sight and darkness spell for some good times xD
Imagine getting a crit at level 5 and popping divine smite and eldritch smite for 5d8 dmg on one attack *drools*

holywhippet
2017-12-13, 04:13 PM
I still feel that oath of devotion is the best option for hexblade + paladin. You add charisma to hit for both hexblade and channel divinity and damage from hexblade. So you get about +6/+8 to hit from that (depends if you take a feat at level 4) and another +2/+3 from your proficiency bonus. So each attack is around +8 - +11 to hit.

Oramac
2017-12-13, 04:23 PM
I still feel that oath of devotion is the best option for hexblade + paladin. You add charisma to hit for both hexblade and channel divinity and damage from hexblade. So you get about +6/+8 to hit from that (depends if you take a feat at level 4) and another +2/+3 from your proficiency bonus. So each attack is around +8 - +11 to hit.

Mechanically, I'd say it's a tie between Devotion and Vengeance. Advantage from Vow of Enmity is really good too. Devotion is better against hordes, Vengeance against one Big Bad. To each his own, as it were.

Thematically, imo Devotion just flat doesn't fit a warlock MC. I can at least see Vengeance fitting with a warlock though.