PDA

View Full Version : Statting Out Dragonlance Characters

the_brazenburn
2017-12-13, 09:23 AM
How would you stat the characters in the Dragonlance Chronicles story arc? This would be statted as PCs, rather than NPCs or monsters (even for Verminaard and Kitiara).

Of particular interest to me is Tanis, as I cannot get a grip on his class features. Rogue? Fighter? Ranger, even?

KorvinStarmast
2017-12-13, 09:23 AM
You want the stats for 5e, or for the AD&D modules that were published in the 80's?

the_brazenburn
2017-12-13, 09:29 AM
5th edition, if possible. I haven't really played AD&D much.

Scots Dragon
2017-12-13, 10:22 AM
Going by a quick glance over the Companions as listed in the original AD&D modules and what I remember of the novels...

Tanis - half-elf fighter (Battle Master)

Caramon - human fighter (Champion)

Raistlin - human wizard (Lore Master from UA or War Mage from XGtE) - at least until a Wizard of High Sorcery option is actually introduced

Sturm - human fighter (Cavalier) - at least until a Knight of Solamnia option is actually introduced

Goldmoon - human cleric (Life)

Riverwind - human ranger (Hunter)

Flint Fireforge - dwarf fighter (Champion)

Tasslehoff - halfling kender rogue (Thief)

Tika - human rogue (Thief)/fighter (Champion)

Laurana - elf fighter (Battle Master)

Gilthanas - elf fighter (Eldritch Knight)

Most characters are between level 4-8 during the events of the original Chronicles trilogy.

the_brazenburn
2017-12-13, 11:09 AM
Narsil's stuff seems to make sense, but what about some of the more minor characters? Fizban is clearly an Evocation Wizard lore-wise, but his mechanical spell failings could suggest Wild Magic Sorcerer (and the fact that he's a god point to Light Cleric.

Kitiara is a fighter, but what type? Both Champion and Battle Master could fit.

And is Verminaard a Trickery, Grave, Death, Tempest, or Arcana Cleric?

I could also see Riverwind as a Totem Barbarian (wolf aspect).

Dr. Cliché
2017-12-13, 03:19 PM
I'd be interested in seeing one for Feal-Thas. He was my favourite character in the entire series.

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-13, 03:22 PM
Gilthanas - elf fighter (Eldritch Knight).

This one I'd have to disagree with.
Gilthanas was actually an high enough level mage that he was technically a Renegade, as in, he should have taken the Test but never did (which isn't possible with EK until level 13 or so). I'd make him a multiclass F/M.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2017-12-13, 03:25 PM
I'm casting my vote for Riverwind as a barbarian. One day, I hope for variant rangers and paladins that don't have casting.

If you're willing to ignore casting, Sturm and Laurana might be paladins.

Gilthanas was actually an high enough level mage that he was technically a Renegade (which isn't possible with EK until level 13 or so). I'd make him a multiclass F/M.

I wonder if a refluffed Hexblade is appropriate.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-13, 03:36 PM
I think Laurana would be a Banneret (Purple dragon Knight)

Otherwise I agree With Narsil.

Mikal
2017-12-13, 03:48 PM
Gilthanas was actually an high enough level mage that he was technically a Renegade, as in, he should have taken the Test but never did (which isn't possible with EK until level 13 or so). I'd make him a multiclass F/M.

Bladesinger then? I think that fits. I mean, he was good with a blade but he wasn't on par with the front liners IIRC.

Scots Dragon
2017-12-13, 04:39 PM
Narsil's stuff seems to make sense, but what about some of the more minor characters? Fizban is clearly an Evocation Wizard lore-wise, but his mechanical spell failings could suggest Wild Magic Sorcerer (and the fact that he's a god point to Light Cleric.

Fizban really, really isn't someone who would be given classes or even much of a rules-based presence at all. He's literally the platinum dragon Paladine polymorphed into human form, and can probably cast spells on the same level of Acererak but with access to basically any spell list. Honestly he's a plot device if anything.

For the most part, Fizban's a good example of where the current limitations of D&D 5E kind of start to show themselves.

I was just going by the stats provided in the adventure modules, and have no problem with placing Gilthanas in a more magic-heavy class.

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-13, 05:32 PM
I was just going by the stats provided in the adventure modules, and have no problem with placing Gilthanas in a more magic-heavy class.

A more magic heavy class.... as a multiclass.
In the lower levels, more wizard (mage) than fighter. In the mid to higher levels, more fighter (considerably) than mage.