View Full Version : Which cleric domain is legal?

NecroDancer
2017-12-13, 10:01 AM
So in the SRD there is a madness domain that I love, it's so flavorful and seems fun (it lets you add half your cleric level to your wisdom score to determine spell DCs and bonus spells but you take a heavy toll to your will saves). However there is apparently another madness domain in SC and CD that grants a far less enjoyable ability.

Which domain is allowed? Can you use the SDR domain if you don't own CD or SC? Can I choose to use the SRD domain instead of the CD and SC domain?

Kayden Prynn
2017-12-13, 10:04 AM
Ask your DM. Simple as that. Neither one is more or less official than the other if they're both coming from thirdfirst party sources, so the only deciding factor is the decision of your DM.

weckar
2017-12-13, 10:14 AM
Neither is from third party sources, actually. But, yeah, ask your DM is the safe bet. +1 DC per 4 cleric levels, and extra bonus spells seems really neat - but giving up basically everything else Wisdom based is really harsh.

Inevitability
2017-12-13, 10:24 AM
The Law domain, obviously.

Thurbane
2017-12-13, 06:49 PM
I agree, ask your DM

But for the record, the most recent publication of the Madness Domain is in Spell Compendium (December 2005, compared to May 2005 for LoM), so from a strictly "RAW" POV (for adjudication an Iron Chef competition, for example), that would be the current version.

weckar
2017-12-14, 05:32 AM
When it comes to precedence the SRD is a weird case though, being an electronic resource.

ShurikVch
2017-12-14, 06:25 AM
So in the SRD there is a madness domain that I love, it's so flavorful and seems fun (it lets you add half your cleric level to your wisdom score to determine spell DCs and bonus spells but you take a heavy toll to your will saves).Note: in the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil cultists of either Tharizdun or Elder Elemental Eye (which are, ultimately, the same) are have Madness SQ, which does the same thing as the SRD Madness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm#madnessDomain) domain:
The character gains an Insanity score equal to half his or her class level. For spellcasting (determining bonus spells and DCs), the character uses his or her Wisdom score plus his or her Insanity score in place of Wisdom alone.

For all other purposes, such as skills and saves, use Wisdom minus Insanity in place of Wisdom.Cultists got this SQ even if they don't have the Madness domain
Thus, by joining either of cults, you can ignore the "update" in Complete Divine/Spell Compendium