PDA

View Full Version : Zealot barb, gloam stalker ranger mc.

Spacehamster
2017-12-13, 10:44 AM
Mtn dwarf start ability scores with racials: 17/15/14/8/13/8.

Orphan background
Barb skills: Athletics, perception
Ranger skills: survival

Start as Zealot up to level 5 take +1 STR and +1 DEX, then take 4 gloom ranger with defense style and take GWM, finish with rest in zealot, Max STR, take resilient WIS and mobile feat.

This should make for a durable, mobile character with strong attacks, pretty good initiative that can move about stealthily decently well and is invisible to dark vision creatures.

What do you guys think of this build and what would you do differently?

GorogIrongut
2017-12-13, 10:57 AM
I played a similar character and he was a bastard. Though I focused more on the Ranger. Never took barb past level 2. Still he slaughtered everything he went up against.

Biggstick
2017-12-13, 02:01 PM
Only run with a 14 in Dexterity, as what is a 16 Dexterity really going to do for you?

Start Barbarian 1, then go 5 levels of Gloom Staulker. Grab either +1 Str and Wis, or GWM for thr Ranger 4 ASI. Then pick up 2 more levels of Barbarian for the Zealot archetype (PC level 8). At this point, you can grab another Barbarian level for an ASI, or continue on Ranger. At Gloom Staulker level 7, you get Wisdom Saving throws. At Gloom Staulker 8, another ASI (for whatever you didnt grat at Ranger 4).

I personally prefer the Ranger levels, as the extra spell casting progression and archetype features of Gloom Staulker feel stronger for this type of character.

Spacehamster
2017-12-13, 02:13 PM
Only run with a 14 in Dexterity, as what is a 16 Dexterity really going to do for you?

Start Barbarian 1, then go 5 levels of Gloom Staulker. Grab either +1 Str and Wis, or GWM for thr Ranger 4 ASI. Then pick up 2 more levels of Barbarian for the Zealot archetype (PC level 8). At this point, you can grab another Barbarian level for an ASI, or continue on Ranger. At Gloom Staulker level 7, you get Wisdom Saving throws. At Gloom Staulker 8, another ASI (for whatever you didnt grat at Ranger 4).

I personally prefer the Ranger levels, as the extra spell casting progression and archetype features of Gloom Staulker feel stronger for this type of character.

Is the barbarian not better at hitting things hard in the head? :O

GlenSmash!
2017-12-13, 02:54 PM

Slightly: Higher Rage damage and Brutal Critical, but a lot of other stuff is defensive, especially on the Zealot.

Gloom Stalker gets a mix too. Wisdom Save prof is defensive, but Re-rolling missed attacks is really good for hitting stuff on the head, especially if you are using -5/+10 from GWM.

Biggstick
2017-12-13, 03:53 PM

Slightly: Higher Rage damage and Brutal Critical, but a lot of other stuff is defensive, especially on the Zealot.

Gloom Stalker gets a mix too. Wisdom Save prof is defensive, but Re-rolling missed attacks is really good for hitting stuff on the head, especially if you are using -5/+10 from GWM.

The higher Rage damage and Brutal Critical wouldn't come online for your proposed build Spacehamster until Barbarian level 9, which is PC level 13. The game is pretty much over by then, or you've played a long time without realizing your concept.

As GlenSmash pointed out, most of the features you're gaining as a Barbarian leveling up are defensive (except for those noted above). The Gloom Stalker paired with a few Barbarian levels works out fantastically for a GWM. As noted by Glen, re-rolling a missed attack with GWM is amazing. You're also getting Wisdom Saving throw proficiency built into the class, meaning you can spend a feat on a 4th Saving Throw if you want, or look to other feats.

The way I look at this pairing being best put together is on a Human Variant who can take GWM right at level 1. It's nice being able to play a Human who has darkvision without a spell or fancy multiclassing. I also like that the build is "online" from level 1, as I have 16 Strength (pushed up to 18 Strength once I'm Ranger 4), and can just go at it without waiting for something to come online. Running this split as a Dwarf is tough with point buy/standard array, as you're stuck choosing between 18 Strength and GWM early on, and won't get to have both until level 9 at the earliest (with your build) and level 11 with mine.

Whatever way you end up going, Barbarian pairs really well with Gloom Stalker. I'd also encourage you to look at Horizon Walker and/or Monster Hunter (or is it Slayer?). All three archetypes are actually rather amazingly set up for melee based Rangers. Even more so for GWM, as the non-Gloom Stalkers have built in Bonus Actions at Ranger level 3.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-13, 04:35 PM
To be fair more Barbarian levels does have advantages. Particularly level Zealot 14 and 15 will let you play the most reckless barbarian ever as long as you have some access to healing or Res spells, like a party cleric.