PDA

View Full Version : 5e casting attributes

Tboy1492
2017-12-13, 11:47 AM
I’m having a hard time finding the reference for minimum casting attribute for spellcasting classes. 3.5 it was 10+ spell level minimum to be able to understand the spell and use it in a slot, but I’m having a hard time confirming that for 5e. Maybe I’m just missing it repeatedly?

For reference, my group is converting a campaign (or two) to 5e from 3.5. One of them has a Ranger with a wisdom of 11, would he still be able to use first level ranger spells once he had the slots? I want to assume he can, but I don’t like making assumptions. Does anyone know where I can reference to confirm?

Dudewithknives
2017-12-13, 11:50 AM
I’m having a hard time finding the reference for minimum casting attribute for spellcasting classes. 3.5 it was 10+ spell level minimum to be able to understand the spell and use it in a slot, but I’m having a hard time confirming that for 5e. Maybe I’m just missing it repeatedly?

For reference, my group is converting a campaign (or two) to 5e from 3.5. One of them has a Ranger with a wisdom of 11, would he still be able to use first level ranger spells once he had the slots? I want to assume he can, but I don’t like making assumptions. Does anyone know where I can reference to confirm?

There are none in 5e.

If you want to play a wizard with a 8 Int you can.
The only requirement for stats for a class is when you try to multi class with them.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-13, 11:53 AM
Yup, there is no minimum casting stat. Having a low casting stat just affects the Saving Throw value, and on some classes will affect how many spells you know.

hymer
2017-12-13, 11:58 AM
Having a low casting stat just affects the Saving Throw value, and on some classes will affect how many spells you know.

And spell attack rolls, and in some cases how many spells you can have prepared at a given time. And whether you can multiclass, if that happens to be allowed.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-13, 12:04 PM
It means a lot more depending on which class.

Ex. To a Wizard having a high INT is much more important than for a Cleric to have high Wis.

Tboy1492
2017-12-13, 12:20 PM
It means a lot more depending on which class.

Ex. To a Wizard having a high INT is much more important than for a Cleric to have high Wis.

Because wizards prepair and know more spells based on the INT, gotcha!
So for a ranger it wouldn’t be a big deal if he only had 10 or 11 in the wisdom for casting purposes.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-13, 12:23 PM
Because wizards prepair and know more spells based on the INT, gotcha!
So for a ranger it wouldn’t be a big deal if he only had 10 or 11 in the wisdom for casting purposes.

It really depends on what spells he/she will want to use. If they're using a decent amount of attack spells (Hail of Thorns, Conjure Barrage, etc), then they will still want a decent Wisdom. If they're mainly using the utility spells and self-buffs, then they'll be fine.

Unoriginal
2017-12-13, 12:25 PM

Not for casting purpose, no, but a lot of the traditional Ranger roles benefit from a good WIS. Nothing say that you have to conform to the traditional roles, though.

It really depends on what spells he/she will want to use. If they're using a decent amount of attack spells (Hail of Thorns, Conjure Barrage, etc), then they will still want a decent Wisdom. If they're mainly using the utility spells and self-buffs, then they'll be fine.

This, too.

Tboy1492
2017-12-13, 01:07 PM
A.T and Unorigional, I think that concludes what I needed, thank you and everyone!

Edit for spelling