PDA

View Full Version : Arcane spell idea, needs work

Malapterus
2017-12-13, 12:41 PM
I have an idea for a spell along the lines of True Casting, in that you cast it and it applies to a spell you cast on your next turn.

Basically, you cast this spell, and the next spell you cast you may apply a Metamagic feat you know without increasing that spell's casting cost or time. Sorcerers could apply it to any spell and Wizards could apply it to an existing prepared spell.

I think this spell is OK, but I don't know what level it should be.

There could also be a 'greater' version that gives you a selection of metamagic effects you can apply without having the feat - or a more questionable 'any metamagic feat'.

ayvango
2017-12-14, 12:01 AM
The second level is ok. But you should burn a slot at least one level higher than desired metamagic costs to apply. It is possible to build greater versions of the spell adding some extra abilities: swift action casting, blind activation (no need for prior metamagic knowledge), longer duration, ability to combine several metamagics, maximum spell level to adjust.

The reference is the Acrane Spellsurge spell which applies Quicken spell to all spells. It consumes normal action to cast, lasts 1 round / lvl, requires no Quicken metamagic feat. The greater spell I would like to introduce is more flexible, so it should occupy 8th level slot.

So I get something like that.

Arcane Spellmorph Lesser spell:
level: 2
casting time: standard
school: transmutation
target: personal
duration: 1 round
components: V,S

You can select 1 metamagic feat you know and burn prepared spell or spell slot at least one level higher than selected feat cost. For the duration of spell you could apply selected metamagic to all spells of 0-3 level you cast without needing to prepare metamgicked version of spell or spending higher slot price.

Special: If you has at least 3 levels of the ultimate magus class, you can cast this spell as a swift action.

Arcane Spellmorph spell:
level: 5
duration: 4 rounds

Like the lesser versions with following exceptions
a) you could select up to two metamagic feats you know and burn prepared spell or spell slot at least one level higher than combined feats costs.
b) You could apply selected metamagic feats to all spells of 0-6 level you cast

Arcane Spellmorph Greater spell:
level: 8
duration: 1 round / lvl

Like the lesser versions with following exceptions
a) you could select up to three metamagic feats and burn prepared spell or spell slot at least one level higher than combined feats costs. You could select one untrained metamagic feat of three. All other should be known to you.
b) You could apply selected metamagic feats to all spells of 0-9 level you cast

-------------------------

Be cautious: that spells make arcane spell casters even more powerful then were before. It opens road to easy persisten metamagic and allows you get twin wishes for cost of one. May be it should be nerfed for 0-2:0-4:0-6 cast level progression instead of 0-3:0-6:0-9

Malapterus
2017-12-14, 10:30 AM
These are good, but a different direction than where I was headed

ayvango
2017-12-14, 12:23 PM
There is obvious loophole, if you think little about it, so the spells requires patch. You need to add limited charges for all versions otherwise they would be persisted using themself. So every spell has charges and lasts until either duration or charges expired.

Lesser Version: 2 charges (in case of player somehow cast it quickened)
Normal Version: 5 charges
Greater Version: caster level charges

nonsi
2017-12-15, 07:24 AM
You should have different levels of Arcane Spellmorph - according to each metamagic modifier you wish to apply (e.g. 1st level for Silent/Still Spell, 3rd level for Maximize Spell etc.), with higher levels allowing you to apply them as lower levels.

Another option is for a feat that allows you to burn 2 spells of the appropriate metamagic modifier to remove the drawbacks of applying metamagic..... Maybe also a Greater version that allows you to do so in the same round when you cast your spell, but it might require some play testing to make sure it's not broken (you do pay for it with 2 feats, so maybe it's OK).