PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sharkpeople Race

Fredaintdead
2017-12-13, 02:21 PM
Honestly this only exists because of my love for the Street Sharks. So yeah, I made hulking sharkpeople as a playable race. I went the safe route by just meshing the abilities of Tritons and Lizardfolk together. Feel free to use if you too would like to play a sharkperson, and I am always open to your thoughts.

Sharkperson Traits:
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Age: Sharkpeople reach maturity at about 15 years old and can live to be over 300.

Alignment: Sharkpeople travel the oceans as either wondering nomads, vicious pirates and adventurers alike, and as such tend towards chaos.

Size: Sharkpeople are generally massive in size, standing well over 6ft tall, with the hunched posture of male Sharkpeople making them seem hulking compared to more humanoid races. Densely packed muscle means they tend to weigh between 250 and 300lbs.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30ft, and you have a swimming speed of 30ft.

Amphibious: You can breathe both air and water.

Bite: Your fanged maw is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

Hunter's Lore: You gain proficiency in two of the following skills of your choice - Animal Handling, Perception, Stealth, and Survival.

Hungry Jaws: In battle, you can throw yourself into a vicious feeding frenzy. As a bonus action, you can make a special attack with your bite. If the attack hits, it deals its normal damage, and you gain temporary hit points equal to your Consitution modifier, and you can't use this trait against until you finish a short or long rest.

Languages: You can speak, read and write Common and Draconic.

nickl_2000
2017-12-14, 01:14 PM
I see literally no issues with this subclass. It feels good, but not out of balance.

This class would lens amazingly towards being a grappler with their d6 bite. So, that may be the only thing that is a bit OP. However, I don't think it would need to be changed

Mith
2017-12-14, 01:35 PM
Those old Street Shark toys are the worst things to step on in the dark. The rubber ones squish under your feet and you sleepily look down to a freaking half squished abomination under your foot. Then the Street shark learns to fly.

On topic: I might steal this idea for an aboleth or mindflayer experiment monster.

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-12-15, 03:03 AM
Well, this is funny. I just had a sharkfolk thing written up. I think I'll wait a while to post it now. :smallsmile:

But as for this, it looks great! A pretty solid race. I know some people will think its situational though (aquatic campaigns, sadly, are rare).

Requilac
2017-12-15, 06:18 PM
I will have to echo the common sentiment and say that it seems fine to me. It is not too strong nor too weak and seems rather balanced, at least at a first glance. My main issue with it though is that it seems much too similar to the lizardfolk. The differences between them are rather small, mechanics wise at least, but that might have been what you were going for. I just have one more minor suggestion for you; why don’t you change the language from draconic to primordial, which includes aquan, the literal language of elemental water.

Fredaintdead
2017-12-16, 02:45 PM
I just have one more minor suggestion for you; why don’t you change the language from draconic to primordial, which includes aquan, the literal language of elemental water.

My actual no-word-of-a-lie reasoning: Sharks are just as cool as dragons, so they speak the cool dragon-language.