PDA

View Full Version : Zealot’s Contingency

Flashy
2017-12-13, 02:44 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on whether casting Contingency for Revivify or Raise Dead on a Zealot Barbarian requires the Contingency material component?

It technically does nothing but restore the zealot to life (at some possible point in the future), but it’s also not exactly the same thing as casting a spell to resurrect them (which seems like the obviously intended purpose of the class feature).

Potato_Priest
2017-12-13, 02:46 PM
I don't think there is any clear RAW here. It's going to be purely DM ruling dependent, so ask yours.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-13, 02:49 PM
At 3rd level, your soul is marked for endless battle. If a spell, such as raise dead, has the sole effect of restoring you to life (but not undeath), the caster doesn’t need material components to cast the spell on you.

I would say that the spell Contingency has more potential uses than just restoring you to life, even if that is what it was cast for. As such, I would say that the material components would still be needed for Contingency in this case. But I agree that this is a fringe case that is probably DM dependent.

Hypersmith
2017-12-13, 02:52 PM
I'd say it should need the contingency materials. Contingency is its own spell with it's own effects. The only spell that does not need the components is the one raising the barbarian, which is its own spell slot and cast when using contingency. Contingency is also dependent on having the components on you at all times, and removing them is removing an important counter to the spell.

Besides that, you can only cast contingency on yourself, so unless you have some odd mix of wizard and barbarian it shouldn't even be a worry.