PDA

View Full Version : pathfinder: Home-Brew class: Witch-Hunter (yes i know theirs an inquisitor archetype)

elanfanboy
2017-12-13, 02:52 PM
i do know that there is an inquisitor archetype, but i hate inquisitors, and i like this better, so without further ado, here is what i have so far:

Class: Witch-Hunter

While many see magic as an aid to society, there are those who have differing opinions, some more strongly than others, those that become Witch-Hunters, however, take this to the extreme. having devoted much of their life to the studies of Hogsline, an antimagic force, have become true champions against the accursed arcane arts.

Role: The job of the Witch-Hunter is to quickly incapacitate casters then finish them off, making the fight more fair for martial-oriented characters.

Alignment: any neutral, witch-hunters generally don't care what happens to others, as long as their revenge is quenched.
Hit Die: 1d8
Starting Wealth: 4d6x10 (average: 140 GPs)
level BAB Fort save Ref. save Will save special
1 +0 +0 +2 +2
2 +1 +0 +3 +3
3 +2 +1 +3 +3
4 +3 +1 +4 +4 Dispel Magic
5 +3 +1 +4 +4
6 +4 +2 +5 +5 Dispel Magic, Greater
7 +5 +2 +5 +5
8 +6/+1 +2 +6 +6 Protection from Spells
9 +6/+1 +3 +6 +6
10 +7/+2 +3 +7 +7 Antimagic Barrier
11 +8/+3 +3 +7 +7
12 +9/+4 +4 +8 +8
13 +9/+4 +4 +8 +8
14 +10/+5 +4 +9 +9
15 +11/+6/+1 +5 +9 +9
16 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10
17 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10
18 +13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +11
19 +14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +11
20 +15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +12
Class Skills
The witch-hunter's class skills include: appraise (Int), bluff (Cha), climb (Str), craft (Int), disguise (Cha), escape artist (Dex), intimidate (Cha), knowledge (arcana) (Int), knowledge (history) (Int), knowledge (planes) (Int), knowledge (religion) (Int), perception (Wis), profession (Wis), sense motive (Wis), spellcraft (Int), stealth (Dex)

Skill Ranks per Level: 5+Int Modifier

Table: Witch-Hunter

Class Features
The following are the class skills of the Witch-Hunter:
Weapon and Armor proficiency: the witch-hunter is proficient with all simple and martials weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields)

anyone who wants to help me come up with the mechanics/other abilities can do so, i would appreciate the help.

i want to add a divination shield at some point, basically just a scry blocker.

elanfanboy
2017-12-13, 02:54 PM
the current abilities function as the spells w/ the same name.

exelsisxax
2017-12-13, 02:56 PM
1. This belongs in the homebrew forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design).
2. Why? What's your goal here?
3. Why are there no class features?

elanfanboy
2017-12-13, 03:05 PM
1. This belongs in the homebrew forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design).
2. Why? What's your goal here?
3. Why are there no class features?
1. didn't know about that, sorry.
2. i wanted to make an anti-caster character and the closest thing was the inquisitor archetype, which i absolutely hated, as i hate playing inquisitors.
3. i was asking for help on the rest of the class features.

stack
2017-12-13, 03:20 PM
You can report your own post to request it be moved.

gorfnab
2017-12-13, 03:25 PM
There is this 3rd party (Rogue Genius Games) Pathfinder Witch Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rogue-genius-games/witch-hunter/) that seems to be similar to what you are trying to build.

elanfanboy
2017-12-13, 03:43 PM
There is this 3rd party (Rogue Genius Games) Pathfinder Witch Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rogue-genius-games/witch-hunter/) that seems to be similar to what you are trying to build.

is that the inquisitor one? because i built this as a response to hating that.

Edit:
i can't access rouge genius at work, so i couldn't look to see.

gorfnab
2017-12-13, 04:37 PM
is that the inquisitor one? because i built this as a response to hating that.

This one is not an inquisitor archetype. It is an entire base class separate from any other class.

Edit:
i can't access rouge genius at work, so i couldn't look to see.
This is not the Rogue Genius site. It is the D20 Pathfinder SRD site.

elanfanboy
2017-12-13, 07:12 PM
Here is the completed version of the witch-hunter class, if you have any suggestions on what would improve it, i would appreciate feedback. also, play-testing and suggestions based on that would be much obliged.

Class: Witch-Hunter

While many see magic as an aid to society, there are those who have differing opinions, some more strongly than others, those that become Witch-Hunters, however, take this to the extreme. having devoted much of their life to the studies of Hogsline, an antimagic force, have become true champions against the accursed arcane arts.

Role: The job of the Witch-Hunter is to quickly incapacitate casters then finish them off, making the fight more fair for martial-oriented characters.

Alignment: any neutral, witch-hunters generally don't care what happens to others, as long as their revenge is quenched.
Hit Die: 1d8
Starting Wealth: 4d6x10 (average: 140 GPs)
level BAB Fort save Ref. save Will save special
1 +0 +0 +2 +2 Spell resistance +2
2 +1 +0 +3 +3 Bonus Feat
3 +2 +1 +3 +3 Hogsline studies 1
4 +3 +1 +4 +4 Dispel Magic
5 +3 +1 +4 +4 Spell resistance +3
6 +4 +2 +5 +5 Dispel Magic, Greater
7 +5 +2 +5 +5 Hogsline studies 2
8 +6/+1 +2 +6 +6 Protection from Spells
9 +6/+1 +3 +6 +6 Spell resistance +4
10 +7/+2 +3 +7 +7 Antimagic Barrier
11 +8/+3 +3 +7 +7 Hogsline studies 3
12 +9/+4 +4 +8 +8 -
13 +9/+4 +4 +8 +8 Spell resistance +5
14 +10/+5 +4 +9 +9 -
15 +11/+6/+1 +5 +9 +9 Hogsline studies 4
16 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10 -
17 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10 Spell resistance +6
18 +13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +11 -
19 +14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +11 Hogsline studies 5
20 +15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +12 Bane of Magi
Class Skills
The witch-hunter's class skills include: appraise (Int), bluff (Cha), climb (Str), craft (Int), disguise (Cha), escape artist (Dex), intimidate (Cha), knowledge (arcana) (Int), knowledge (history) (Int), knowledge (planes) (Int), knowledge (religion) (Int), perception (Wis), profession (Wis), sense motive (Wis), spellcraft (Int), stealth (Dex)

Skill Ranks per Level: 5+Int Modifier

Table: Witch-Hunter

Class Features
The following are the class skills of the Witch-Hunter:
Weapon and Armor proficiency: the witch-hunter is proficient with all simple and martials weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields)

Spell Resistance: at level 1, the Witch-Hunter gains spell resistance +2, at 5th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, this bonus increases by 1.

Bonus Feat: at second level, the Witch-Hunter gains access to a bonus feat selected from the combat feats section.

Hogsline studies: at 3rd level, the Witch-Hunter gains a +2 bonus on spell resistance to a certain school of magic, this bonus is selected for a separate school every four levels beyond third, this bonus can be selected up to twice for an individual school.

Dispel Magic: at 4th level, the Witch-Hunter gains access to the dispel magic spell-like ability, this functions as the _ level wizard spell, usable 1 time per day, this number increases by one for every two levels beyond 4th, up to a maximum of 9 times at level 20.

Dispel Magic, Greater: at 6th level, the Witch-Hunter gains access to the spell-like ability dispel magic, greater, this functions as the _ level wizard spell. It is usable 1 time per day, this number increases by 1 for every three levels the Witch-Hunter owns beyond 4th, for a maximum of 6 times at 18th level.

Protection From Spells: at 8th level, the Witch-Hunter gains access to the protection from spells spell-like ability, this functions as the _level wizard spell, and is usable up to 2 times per day, this number increases by 1 every 4 levels, up to a maximum of 5 times at 20th level.

Anti-Magic Barrier: at 10th level, the Witch-Hunter gains access to the anti-magic barrier spell-like ability, this functions as the _ level wizard spell, usable up to 1 time per day, this number increases by 1 for every 5 levels, up to a maximum of 3 at 20th level.

Bane of Magi: at 20th level, the Witch-Hunter gains the ability to deliver a ranged touch attack that has the ability to leech all of the life force from a spell-caster class (decided by GM discretion), the caster is allowed DC 25 will save to negate, this ability is usable once per week.

@Gorfnab
that class is not what i'm going for, i'm building iy off of a spell resistance theme, to protect them from casters so that they can take them out while maintaining safety, R.I.P. to the GM who builds a caster BBEG though:smalltongue:

exelsisxax
2017-12-14, 10:22 AM
This class is garbage tier. Several of the class features literally do nothing in actual gameplay (spell resistance and hogsline studies), an anti-magic field is a debuff on a martial, and dispel magic is pretty terrible in terms of action economy, especially when you can't boost your CL.

This is a weak NPC class.

If you want a non-suck magekiller, you need to start at level+stat SR, then add bonuses on top of that. If you want dispel magic to be non-useless, make it a swift action to charge a melee attack with it. You also need evasion and stalwart, and to get armor to touch AC or otherwise boost touch AC significantly. You need to reroll saves against magic, and/or save against magic that doesn't get a save.

elanfanboy
2017-12-14, 08:04 PM
wow, those will help the class a lot.
:smallsmile:

elanfanboy
2017-12-15, 11:09 AM
i added the updates to the class, but I'm now at a loss as to what do do for 16/19 levels, or if to just leave them blank, what are your thoughts?
:smallconfused:

https://sevendeadlydungeons.blogspot...ch-hunter.html

also, the witch-hunter class provided seems to resemble a slayer. is this pretty much just a heavily altered archetype of one?