PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Cutscene

Dragor
2007-08-21, 07:10 AM
I've always found cut scenes interesting. I've got to say that my favourite intro is the Warhammer: Mark of Chaos intro. It was stunningly beautiful and was chock full of detail and action. (Don't get me started on the game though.)

For in-game cut scenes, the last one at the end of the Human Campaign was brilliant. (I've only done Human and Undead so far, so I don't know about the Orcs and the Night Elves.) Arthas was so thoroughly evil and captivating.

So- what about you?

Emperor Ing
2007-08-21, 07:28 AM
I agree with you of the ending of the human campain on WC3, ROC

But my favorite was the cutscene near the end of the Leviathan escape in KOTOR I, when you first meet Darth Malak.

Triaxx
2007-08-21, 07:45 AM
How do I choose? Let's see there is:

The final scene from FF9. (Vinesurfing, not after the credits.) The beach cut scene in FF8. All of Cortana's scenes in Halo. Baldur's gate's opening cinema on the roof. The campaign beginning's to Supreme Commander are great. And any of the Lego Star Wars cut scenes.

Jibar
2007-08-21, 07:46 AM
Nothing, I repeat, nothing, will ever beat the final cinematic for Frozen Throne.
I've seen a lot of cut scenes in my time, I seen a lot o' movies too. But I still think that that final image, Arthas upon the throne, is one of the greatest pieces of cinema ever.

Shikton
2007-08-21, 08:05 AM
In Suikoden 1 - dunno if I can really call it a cutscene, but it's as close as you come in that game - where Gremio dies. Gremio being the main char's body guard/nanny.

Inigo_Carmine
2007-08-21, 08:11 AM
I think Sephiroth turning and walking vanishing through the flames after destroying Nibelheim in FF7 is still "The Cutscene" for me.

I'll have to chime in with Jibar and say the end of the Frozen Throne was a very good one as well. All of the dialogue clips from significant parts of the game whispering in the background gave me chills, and that cinematic, more than anything else, made me want to play World of Warcraft.

Elliot Kane
2007-08-21, 10:55 AM
No contest, for me. The ballroom scene in FF8. Loved it the first time I saw it, and still do now. It's absolutely beautiful, and the body language is perfect throughout.

Om
2007-08-21, 12:44 PM
The end scenes in Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II and Planescape. There's probably a few others but those three always spring to mind for me. The Fallout intros probably don't count.

tannish2
2007-08-21, 03:48 PM
end of human campaign in WC3 and end of undead campaign in the expansion were pretty good, but noones going to say anything about the end cutscene on diablo? or diablo2 for that matter?(NOT the expansion, expansions as a general rule have cheese stories, and similar quality cutscenes) the opening one for armored core: last raven was pretty good... that was the mandatory giant robot battle one

JellyPooga
2007-08-21, 04:38 PM
Some of the high-level spell cutscenes in PS:T are pretty cool, but my favourite has to be (PS:T spoiler)

the penultimate cutscene of PS:T if you persuade the Transcendant One to merge with you...it's just sooo bad-ass!

SurlySeraph
2007-08-21, 04:47 PM
Nothing, I repeat, nothing, will ever beat the final cinematic for Frozen Throne.
I've seen a lot of cut scenes in my time, I seen a lot o' movies too. But I still think that that final image, Arthas upon the throne, is one of the greatest pieces of cinema ever.

That's an amazing one, yes. I also really, really like the opening cutscene to Starcraft: Brood War. It got the desperation and craziness on the ground across, and the callousness and authority of Stukov and Du Gaulle across equally well.
Marine: Who's in charge here?!
Ghost *glances at him, then goes back rocking back and forth
Marine: Where is the air support?!
Ghost: *points up*

Hoggy
2007-08-21, 06:45 PM
Sephiroth gacking Aeris. Not because it's a particularily good cutscene, just because I like to watch fanboyz'n'gurlz squirm.

RandomNPC
2007-08-21, 07:01 PM
the end of Blues story in Saga Frontier, after you "beat" the lord of the underworld.....

that and just about any scene where the good guys down and out, the villan says something he shouldn't have, and the hero's like, wait i can't loose now. then the hero gets up and is so angry at what the villan just admitted/said the villan doesn't have a chance.

Tekraen
2007-08-21, 07:20 PM
The cutscene in Parasite Eve 2 when Aya makes it out of the bunker to find all the golems ready to charge her, and the Rangers come in and totally wtfpwn these genegineered 'super-soldiers'.

Also, the "Thor shot" from LEO, same game.

Rama_Lei
2007-08-21, 07:24 PM
Riding the rails in FFX10 is pretty great. And of course FF X-2 opening.

Destro_Yersul
2007-08-21, 07:45 PM
All the Diablo 2 ones are good.

My personal fave though, is in Ninja Gaiden. The one where Ryu Falls into the palace depths

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-21, 08:03 PM
For cinematics...I have to say any of the Blizzard ones have been brilliant, especially the ones in WC3, but I think that it's a tie between the Final Cinematic of Frozen Throne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW02BWFRnkw) (the whispers of the past as Arthas ascends the stair give me gooesbumps) or the Mark of Chaos opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owKOSqrNMC8).

Thexare Blademoon
2007-08-21, 08:15 PM
The bombing of Batangas in Front Mission 3 is the only one that really stands out in my mind.

Xefas
2007-08-22, 12:16 AM
I really liked the ending with the Lich King in Frozen Throne, and I can see I'm not alone there :smallwink:

Some of the Kingdom Hearts 1&2 scenes, and some of the clips from Dark Crusade are also rather good.

Eliphas: No! I will not go to the basillica of torments again!
Daemon Prince: Fear not, apostle; the basillica is reserved for those who may redeem themselves. You will have no such chance!

*Scream* *Colossal Explosion of Blood*

Saint George
2007-08-22, 12:34 AM
The final scene in Fallout.

Maaaaybe, you'll think of me...

banjo1985
2007-08-22, 06:07 AM
For me it has to be the ancient dragoon fight scene in The Legend of Dragoon way back on the PSone. A great game that didn't get the credit it deserved. I just loved the action and how well it was animated!

Honourable mentions also go to the Rinoa rescue and dance scenes in FF8, and the introduction to FF10.

Setra
2007-08-22, 06:25 AM
Hmm..

I may be remembering this incorrectly, but in Shadow Hearts 2, I think there is a CG Cutscene where Yuri shapeshifts into Amon to fight Nostradomus.

Griemont
2007-08-22, 09:57 PM
I say this all the time, but my favorite in-game cutscene is Half-Life. Because that's what the game is, a giant in-game cutscene. :smallbiggrin: If I had to pick though, it'd be the resonance cascade from the same game. As for pre-rendered...the Meet the Soldier trailer for TF2, if it counts. :smallamused:

Crilley
2007-08-23, 09:56 PM
The intro to We <3 Katamari.

The only cutscene EVER that I never skip, regardless of how many times I have seen it

BRC
2007-08-23, 10:09 PM
Ive always liked the death of hellscream from WC3

Ishmael
2007-08-23, 10:36 PM
I second the Legend of Dragoon mention. The battle with all of the ancient Dragoons and the virage in the Wingly capital was incredible. The emotion was very obvious. The entire game was amazing--it got a little campy at moments, but overall the storyline was complex and enjoyable.

Tirian
2007-08-23, 11:54 PM
I'll go with the Den of Woe from FFX-2, although the scene with the Sun Cryst in FFXII and the finale of KH are also very good.

If there were a separate category for cutscenes that make me laugh rather than gasp, then there are a two scenes in Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal that still make me laugh every time I see them. Oh, and the scene where Pecker is introduced in Jak 2.

Jibar
2007-08-24, 01:32 AM
If there were a separate category for cutscenes that make me laugh rather than gasp, then there are a two scenes in Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal that still make me laugh every time I see them. Oh, and the scene where Pecker is introduced in Jak 2.

By any chance, would one of those scenes be:
"It was mating season, how was I supposed to know she was your sister?"

Any scene with Sig in Jak II always makes me happy. Especially his first words at the Pumping Station. "Hello cherries."

Khanderas
2007-08-27, 07:34 AM
Ive always liked the death of hellscream from WC3

Seconded. So much.
... No old friend, you have freed us all. :smallfrown:
(Hellscream dies, Trall gives up a funeral howl and I usually have to stop myself from joining in)

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-08-27, 09:53 AM
I think Sephiroth turning and walking vanishing through the flames after destroying Nibelheim in FF7 is still "The Cutscene" for me
QFT.

I also really enjoyed the Opera scene from FF6.

Most of the cutscenes from Tales of Symphonia were great, though I can't remeber one that really stands out from the others.

Bryn
2007-08-27, 10:16 AM
Despite having never played the game (which is probably blasphemy), I loved this video (http://uk.gamespy.com/video/sv.html?dlURL=movies.gamespy.com/columns/video/article/771/771937/WC3_ArthasBetrayal_flvlow.flv&article_ID=771937) from Warcraft III (I think). The music and the fantastic graphics combine perfectly.

In addition, the opening sequence to Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War is also one of my favourite videos of all time.

Revlid
2007-08-27, 04:15 PM
Mark of Chaos Opening. Just... took my breath away.

Oh, and the "Sephiroth torches Nibelheim" one.

Alex Knight
2007-08-31, 01:05 PM
The Thunder Plain concert from FF X-2. The song itself is strong, the imagery is very good...and for in-game coolness, the constant storms actually stop during the end of the song.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-08-31, 02:01 PM
System Shock 2 ending.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0YLMk1E41kE

BEST. ONE-LINER. EVER.

Ink
2007-09-01, 01:55 PM
I liked the opening and ending cutscenes of Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X. In fact I liked all the cutscenes in Final Fantasy VII. Planescape: Torment's ending was good too.

LordVader
2007-09-01, 01:58 PM
Pretty much any Starcraft cutscenes involving battles were amazing.

Winterwind
2007-09-01, 02:24 PM
I'll add my voice to all those voting for Blizzard games, StarCraft, WarCraft III and Diablo II specifically.
From all of these... I think I'd go with the BroodWar Intro. There's just so much emotion in the eyes of that marine as he realises he won't be getting any air support now. Though the Frozen Throne final video is quite astonishing as well, especially if the in-game graphics cut-scene showing the battle between Arthas and Illidan is considered as part of that.

Dragor
2007-09-01, 05:20 PM
System Shock 2 ending.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0YLMk1E41kE

BEST. ONE-LINER. EVER.

:smalleek:

I regret not having played that! I've heard so much about SS2, and how scary it is...

That is one cool ending. And a bit freaky, too.

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-02, 09:29 PM
The end cutscene for the first level of HALO 2. I decided right then that I wanted to be a SPARTAN.

Psychotic
2007-09-03, 10:55 AM
Pretty much any cutscene by Blizzard or Square-Enix rocks my socks.

I will have to third the nomination of the Legend of Dragoon cinematic.

Vonriel
2007-09-03, 11:13 AM
I'll third the motion for the cutscene at the end of the Orc campaign in WCIII:RoC. Another good scene was in FFX, when the crusaders were trying to beat Sin. That entire cutscene was the first time you really get a feel for just how powerful the thing is. Then there's pretty much every cutscene shown in Starcraft and its expansion.

I'm not sure what my favorite scene is, though.

Hehe... "I love you Sarge."...

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-09-03, 11:14 AM
I'm going to have to go with some of the cutscenes from RE4 (on Gamecube). The Gamecube has incredible graphics, and that game uses them to the fullest extent of the system. Oh, and I really like the end cutscene from RE 0. Some of the Splinter Cell games have great cutscenes on Gamecube too.

Ikkitosen
2007-09-03, 11:27 AM
I really like the interactive cutscenes from Resident Evil 4 for the Wii. You've just escaped some life-or-death moment, you're relieved to get to a cutscene, and then out of nowhere it has you pressing buttons and wagglig your remote about just to survive the damn cutscene!

The knife fight with Krauser is the best of them of course.

LesterLester
2007-09-03, 02:20 PM
It's very hard to top the cutscenes from from Blizzard games,especially from Warcraft 3(at the moment, i'm thinking of the sequence in which Archimonde destroys Dalaran...wohee!)
Has anybody mentioned Shadow of the Colossus? When you meet the collossi...and when you kill them(there stays a strange feeling...most of them do not even attack you when you get into their territory)

Snipers_Promise
2007-09-03, 04:16 PM
The cutsceen with andrew ryan in bioshock. I will never forget that sceen.

Winterwind
2007-09-03, 04:27 PM
It's very hard to top the cutscenes from from Blizzard games,especially from Warcraft 3(at the moment, i'm thinking of the sequence in which Archimonde destroys Dalaran...wohee!)If we were looking for the most awesome voice, this one would easily beat them all. Archimonde and his demonic tongue sound so incredibly bad-ass there...

Anxe
2007-09-03, 05:02 PM
Diablo 2 At the end of Act 4 was my favorite. You finally learn that the guy the convict was talking to wasn't an angel, but the final Demon Lord. It was sick.

skreweded
2007-09-04, 01:08 PM
The cutsceen with andrew ryan in bioshock. I will never forget that sceen.

That one or the last ones in bioshock. The good ending and the evil ending both were good. I will always remember the good one as "Aww.. good ending! I love it! Being good was worth it!" and the bad one as "Hellz yea. Bitches! Kicked your ass, didn't i?"

:smalltongue: Loved them.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-04, 03:38 PM
I hated Bioshock's good ending. The whole game is dark, depressing, scary in places- then after a climactic, hear-pounding battle, you get a big heaping dose of YHEY YOU DID IT THE GIRLZ ARE GOING TO HAVE GR8 HAPPY LIVES!!11!!1

It just felt really weird.

I like the sad ending in Bioshock. Much better than the evil one.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-09-04, 03:58 PM
I really like the interactive cutscenes from Resident Evil 4 for the Wii. You've just escaped some life-or-death moment, you're relieved to get to a cutscene, and then out of nowhere it has you pressing buttons and wagglig your remote about just to survive the damn cutscene!

The knife fight with Krauser is the best of them of course.

FYI, that isn't exclusive to the Wii version, the Gamecube version had that as well.

Mephisto
2007-09-08, 12:41 AM
1. Opening of Brood War.
2. End of the Human campaign in Reign of Chaos.
3. End of the Orc campaign in Reign of Chaos.
4. The Act II/Act III scene in Diablo II. (Tyrael and Diablo in the tomb of Tal Rasha)
5. And the Act III/Act IV scene.
6. Arthas becoming the Lich King.
7. Illidan calling the naga (although it's one of the weaker scenes)

Tower
2007-09-08, 10:03 PM
Either the revelation of Darth Revan in KOTOR or the intro to Dawn Of War

Gralamin
2007-09-08, 11:02 PM
I don't think this counts, but the Starcraft 2 Trailer :smalltongue:

But really, any cutscene by blizzard is just amazing.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-12, 11:09 AM
My favorite cutscenes:

Yuna's concerts in FFX-2, as well as The ending of FFX.

Both KH endings and..........

Kingdom Hearts I Spoilers
The scene where Sora drives the Keyblade through his own Heart to release Kairi's Heart, and then disappears in her arms.

Pronounceable
2007-09-12, 05:56 PM
As far as external cutscenes go:

Nothing, not even Blizzard, tops the intro of Dawn of War. (I've just watched Mark of Chaos, it ends just when things start to get heated. So, meh...)

Then comes Baldur's Gate ending. Wheee, sparkling dust!

And there's Torment's intro. The disappearing girl and what comes next is exceedingly freaky.

Revelation of Darth Revan is also rather magnificient. Everything clinks into place.

One other intro I fondly remember is from Dungeon Keeper. Isn't the knight in shining armor cute when he nervously looks around when the demon points at him? Here, see for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5ODEGR1KQ

The briefing of last mission of DoW is also rather flawlessly WH40Kish.

For some reason, I always loved the cutscene before the final fight in Desperados. Chalk it up to my weakness for spaghetti western.

Intro of Heretic 2 gives me a sense of nostalgia. I feel younger when I remember it. (As if I'm old...)

When it comes to in game sequences, Transcendent One's conversation with Annah (from Torment) is supreme, or so I thought until a few days ago. Then I witnessed the ending of some obscure game called Eve Burst Error (it's more an interactive novel than a game, so "ending movie" is identical to "in game"). Possibly the most extremely sad scene I've witnessed, almost made me cry. "Smile..."

There was more I'd write but just remembering that scene made me sad, and I'm unable to finish my post. :smalleek:

Merlin the Tuna
2007-09-12, 06:07 PM
I've grown really attached to one of the ones from the end of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. In the game, you play as Raziel, once a high warrior priest, then killed and raised as a vampire, then killed again and raised as something similar to a vampire. Much of the game is an identity crisis for him, and towards the end, many of his notions of piety are struck down when he finds that his original self, the warrior priest, was simply a dishonorable, bloodthirsty warlord. This comes to a head when Raziel travels back in time, battling his once-comrades (who do not recognize him thanks to deformations rising from his pair of resurrections) before finally entering combat with his former self. As he impales his old, human self, he spits simply, "I renounce you." And it is totally sweet.

Plus, how cool is it for the one line summary of your game series to be "Vampires travel through time amid existential arguments?"

ElectricEel
2007-09-13, 12:06 PM
I think the best I've seen is the the intro for Freespace 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khIWdolT9xY).

LordVader
2007-09-13, 12:27 PM
If this were a cutscene, it'd be the best ever. Unfortunately, it isn't.

Starcraft 300 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4XKqPZQbcY&mode=related&search=)

Yeah, FS2 was a great game.

Castaras
2007-09-13, 12:29 PM
A tie between the beginning of Spellforce: Order of Dawn (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KCw04NTaph4) and the beginning cutscene of Might and Magic VIII.

Tempest Fennac
2007-09-16, 02:05 PM
I don't know whehter this mission briefing from Starfox Assault would count due to how it was used in a pre-release version of the game before the proper voice actors were brought in, but I thought I'd post it due to how funny it is thanks to the dreadful dialogue and voice acting: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=spYvI99YxWs .

Soniku
2007-09-16, 04:42 PM
There are lots of graphically better and musically better scenes about, but there's only really one scene in computer gaming that's managed to be awesome and never lose it's coolness whenever I watched it since the first time:

The gardens battle from FF8. It had about ten separate short cutscenes playing at certain events and in the background, but the view of looking over hundreds of magical mercenaries with gunblades and fireballs when you're hanging onto a jetpack and having a punch-out with a nameless goon is just... AWESOME!

Emperor Ing
2007-09-16, 04:53 PM
I don't know whehter this mission briefing from Starfox Assault would count due to how it was used in a pre-release version of the game before the proper voice actors were brought in, but I thought I'd post it due to how funny it is thanks to the dreadful dialogue and voice acting: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=spYvI99YxWs .

:eek: Dear god what the hell was I watching?

Dragor
2007-09-16, 05:30 PM

My god....

That is one hell of an abomination.

Thank god the voice acting was semi-decent in the released version.

Tempest Fennac
2007-09-17, 02:03 AM
Ironically enough, I prefered Krystal's voice in that cut scene due to how annoying her English accent is in the final version (Slippy sounded dreadful in both versions, though). if anyone's curious about what the dialogue was like in the version which was released, here's a link to the footage: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFJYIAxmLQ . I also love the cut scenes in the first Resident Evil game due to the dreadful dialogue and acting ( http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SI0xQnO2zRw ), as wll as in House of the Dead 2 ( http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WPpayQFqoAE&mode=related&search= ). WARNING: the Residant Evil footage contains scenes of explicit violence and gore, so don't watch it if you get offended by that sort of thing.