PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Pathfinder Lythertida - Good Goddess, Evil Domain Spells

ArcanaGuy
2017-12-13, 08:10 PM
In Pathfinder, the Neutral Good goddess Lythertida possesses the Death Domain. One of my players has taken this domain, but this domain gives access to four different [Evil] spells - spells which followers of a good goddess are prohibited from casting, as per the rules.

She doesn't even have a special subdomain. Just 'Death'.

Is there a special way this is handled? How can my player use his domain spells which the rules state he is not allowed?

I am interested both in purely rules-based answers, AND in thematically based answers.

Geddy2112
2017-12-13, 09:22 PM
This is mostly answered by using the Pharasma Friendly death domain, as she is neutral but opposes undead so that removes three" 3rd-level domain spell: Replace animate dead with speak with dead. 6th-level domain spell: Replace create undead with antilife shell. 8th-level domain spell: Replace create greater undead with symbol of death."

For replacing death knell, I normally go with gentle repose, as it is a 2nd level death themed spell. You can also do false life, but false life can be pretty zesty as it is normally not available to divine casters.

If that is not your thing, any spells that don't create undead or have the evil descriptor but are necromancy could be subbed in as a same level spell.

Calthropstu
2017-12-13, 09:59 PM
This is mostly answered by using the Pharasma Friendly death domain, as she is neutral but opposes undead so that removes three" 3rd-level domain spell: Replace animate dead with speak with dead. 6th-level domain spell: Replace create undead with antilife shell. 8th-level domain spell: Replace create greater undead with symbol of death."

For replacing death knell, I normally go with gentle repose, as it is a 2nd level death themed spell. You can also do false life, but false life can be pretty zesty as it is normally not available to divine casters.

If that is not your thing, any spells that don't create undead or have the evil descriptor but are necromancy could be subbed in as a same level spell.

I second the pharasma list. Good suggestion for the second level spell... gentle repose fits perfectly.

This is clearly an oversight on the part of the designers.

Psyren
2017-12-13, 11:53 PM
She doesn't even have a special subdomain. Just 'Death'.

FYI, subdomains are always accessible in place of the associated domain even if they are not called out specifically as such.

legomaster00156
2017-12-14, 12:10 AM
FYI, subdomains are always accessible in place of the associated domain even if they are not called out specifically as such.
No, they are only available if the god in question has the specific subdomain available.

Dammerich, the LG god of executions, also has the Death domain. I will agree that you should use the Pharasman Death domain to avoid including [evil] spells.

ArcanaGuy
2017-12-15, 07:38 PM
Thank you all very much for the suggestions!