PDA

View Full Version : Dart/Knife Thrower Feat

nirurin
2017-12-13, 09:23 PM
A passing thought I had for a feat for a knife thrower (such as a Sword Bard). I haven't refined it, so it's very much a draft, but thought I'd see what people thought of the basic concept before I tried mathing it out compared to feats such as sharpshooter. The basic idea is an extension to the usual ability to throw/attack with a dagger as a bonus action with TWF.

Fan of Blades
Requires 17+ DEX
- When you use the Attack action against a target, you may use a bonus action to attack a different target with up to 3 darts or daggers.
- For each dart/dagger after the first, you add a -2 attack penalty to the throw. For example, if you decide to throw 3 darts, you make a single ranged attack with a -4 penalty to the attack roll. The damage would be 3d4+(dex mod).
- This action does not stack with Sharpshooter.

I considered just making it a flat "You throw 3 Darts and you throw with disadvantage", but having the choice seemed thematically appropriate. It was originally "Up to 5 Darts" but I realised that this causes too many problems with buffs like hunters mark. This might still be too powerful, but it's less accurate than sharpshooter which you can use on every attack, and with stronger weapons.

It's the best idea I could think of to make a thematic 'knife/shuriken throw' type of move anyway. Thoughts?

Edit - Feat edited after some feedback

Edit 2 - I think a better idea -

A change to the Two Weapon Fighting style.

"When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus-action attack. This attack can be made with any light melee weapon, or a thrown dart."

This would mean that sharpshooter would still be useful, as the dart benefits from it, but it doesn't become overpowered by letting you throw 3 darts per turn (with extra attack). You could either throw 1 dart as a bonus action, or throw 2 darts as your normal attacks (and then not be able to use your bonus action for an attack). So it would be much the same as light crossbows, but a little weaker and much shorter range, but a little more flexible.

SkipSandwich
2017-12-13, 10:43 PM
I like the idea, but the mechanic is a little clunky as-written. how about "When performing a ranged weapon attack with a thrown dagger or dart, you may throw a number of additional projectiles equal to one-half your proficiency bonus, rounded up. You may aim these projectiles at the same target or at different targets within range, make a separate attack roll for each. You do not apply your ability modifier to damage when you use this ability."

This gives between 2d4 and 4d4 damage per attack, which can be split between targets a la discount eldritch blast, twice per turn with Extra Attack or Two Weapon Fighting, Three times per turn with both, and up to five times per turn for a Fighter 20.

nirurin
2017-12-13, 10:44 PM
Alternative version -
Requires DEX 17
As a bonus action you can throw a scatter of darts or daggers. Each creature in a 15-foot cone must take a dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 1d4+(DEX mod) damage on a failed save. On a successful save the attack misses. You expend one dart or dagger for each creature targeted.

nirurin
2017-12-13, 10:46 PM
I like the idea, but the mechanic is a little clunky as-written. how about "When performing a ranged weapon attack with a thrown dagger or dart, you may throw a number of additional projectiles equal to one-half your proficiency bonus, rounded up. You may aim these projectiles at the same target or at different targets within range, make a separate attack roll for each. You do not apply your ability modifier to damage when you use this ability."

This gives between 2d4 and 4d4 damage per attack, which can be split between targets a la discount eldritch blast, twice per turn with Extra Attack or Two Weapon Fighting, Three times per turn with both, and up to five times per turn for a Fighter 20.

Interesting idea, do you think it actually works out simpler and more balanced that way? I was worried my version was getting a bit too powerful vs sharpshooter.

edit - actually I think your version ends up far too powerful... even at level 5 when I could throw 3 daggers, that would add 2d4 to every attack, which would be 6d4. 6-24 damage, vs sharpshooter giving +30 but with -5 to hit on each attack.

Problem would be with the "making seperate attack rolls for each". That extra 6 attacks proccing something like hunters mark would make it 6d4+6d6 extra damage.

Also it would mean every attack having to roll 2 extra dice and making 2 extra attacks, which would be a huge slowdown to the game round...

I'm trying to avoid the extra attacks being able to proc a bunch of knock-on bonus damage, as I think it would end up too strong

nirurin
2017-12-14, 02:59 PM
Adding a new version to the original post, which I think actually works out a lot neater and simpler.

A change to the Two Weapon Fighting style.

"When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus-action attack. This attack can be made with any light melee weapon, or a thrown dart."

This would mean that sharpshooter would still be useful, as the dart benefits from it, but it doesn't become overpowered by letting you throw 3 darts per turn (with extra attack). You could either throw 1 dart as a bonus action, or throw 2 darts as your normal attacks (and then not be able to use your bonus action for an attack). So it would be much the same as light crossbows, but a little weaker and much shorter range, but a little more flexible.