PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Barbarian/Paladin Multiclass Advice

Avonar
2017-12-14, 09:43 AM
So I have a character idea, and I'm trying to put together the exact levelling order for him. The fluff is that he is an old Orc/Half-Orc retired soldier, who in his later years finds himself suddenly reinvigorated in combat, going into strange trances (rages) while he fights. He also has strange dreams of an enormous eye, leading him to eventually realises he is blessed to continue fighting by Gruumsh or something along those lines.

My current idea is to go Barbarian 3 first, taking the Zealot path. This would also mean I could potentally not have enormous Dex/Con as dying isn't such an ordeal for him. After that, I was thinking of going mostly Paladin, probably for Oath of Conquest.

Does this seem a good way to do it? Or would this delay extra attack too long, would it be better to go for Barbarian 5 and then Paladin? Does the bonus d8 damage help minimise this?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Theodoxus
2017-12-14, 10:52 AM
I tried wrapping my head around a similar concept, though I was going zealot/devotion as a supreme holy fighter... I ultimately decided to drop the paladin, as there really wasn't much benefit over more rages, more damage while raging and other benefits from zealot.

As a gestalt, it would be amazing. As a multiclass, there just isn't sufficient synergy between the two to make up what is lost in either direction. IMO, of course.

Avonar
2017-12-14, 10:58 AM
I tried wrapping my head around a similar concept, though I was going zealot/devotion as a supreme holy fighter... I ultimately decided to drop the paladin, as there really wasn't much benefit over more rages, more damage while raging and other benefits from zealot.

As a gestalt, it would be amazing. As a multiclass, there just isn't sufficient synergy between the two to make up what is lost in either direction. IMO, of course.

I realise that this probably won't be the most effective multiclass combo or most min/maxed character but I like the idea of it. Start off with some basic gifts, as he goes more towards worshipping Gruumsh he in turn becomes more divine in power.

PeteNutButter
2017-12-14, 11:04 AM
There can be a lot of power here if done correctly, especially if stats are rolled. With point buy it’s a little tough. As a half orc I’d recommend 16, 14, 14, 8, 9, 14 for point buy.

You don’t want to go zealot first just a single level in barbarian followed by 5 in paladin for extra attack and then barbarian to four. Never delay extra attack more than needed; it’s just painful.

By level 10 it should be paladin 6/barb 4.

You have 1 less rage than a barbarian with one less bonus rage damage but you have +2 or more to every save. 30 hp healing (usable while raging). A fighting style which likely more than makes up for the lost rage damage and the ability to smite (usually on crits) for massive burst damage. Reckless attack gives a greater chance at critting too.

After level 10 you can continue paladin or multiclass again and pick up a cha caster to feed more smite slots. Warlock is good for invocations and long duration spells like AoA. Blade Bard gives another resource that you can use while raging.

It’s a very strong character, that doesn’t come fully online until about level 8, but can rage and smite from level 3+.

Avonar
2017-12-14, 11:10 AM
There can be a lot of power here if done correctly, especially if stats are rolled. With point buy it’s a little tough. As a half orc I’d recommend 16, 14, 14, 8, 9, 14 for point buy.

You don’t want to go zealot first just a single level in barbarian followed by 5 in paladin for extra attack and then barbarian to four. Never delay extra attack more than needed; it’s just painful.

By level 10 it should be paladin 6/barb 4.

You have 1 less rage than a barbarian with one less bonus rage damage but you have +2 or more to every save. 30 hp healing (usable while raging). A fighting style which likely more than makes up for the lost rage damage and the ability to smite (usually on crits) for massive burst damage. Reckless attack gives a greater chance at critting too.

After level 10 you can continue paladin or multiclass again and pick up a cha caster to feed more smite slots. Warlock is good for invocations and long duration spells like AoA. Blade Bard gives another resource that you can use while raging.

It’s a very strong character, that doesn’t come fully online until about level 8, but can rage and smite from level 3+.

I see what you mean yes. And I can think of ways to justify it in character as well. Sounds like a fair starting point yes, cheers for the help.