PDA

View Full Version : Wizard changes

The_Jette
2017-12-14, 11:54 AM
Okay, so I'm playing AL as a Wizard, and am ~300xp from level 5. Prior to level 5, you can do a rebuild. My character is as such:
V. Human Wizard (Diviner) Skills: Perception, Arcana, Survival, Animal Handling, and Insight
Background: Folk Hero
Str 12
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 8
Cha 10

I know it's unusual to have high physical stats and low mental stats. But, his background involved leading a militia to fight against the local lord who was overtaxing them. I felt having higher physical stats made sense. Plus, it was different.

Okay, so 1st level I took the feat "Spell Sniper" because I wanted Eldritch Blast, and the ability to ignore cover. Only it hasn't been especially useful, since our DM seems to ignore the cover system completely, and the attack roll for my EB is based off my Charisma, which is a +0. I get my proficiency, but that's not very high. I am thinking of using my rebuild to swap out Spell Sniper for a different feat, but can't decide what would be best, without changing the core of the character. I also have the feat Lucky, for added shenanigans with fiddling with other's rolls. Any thoughts, or suggestion would be welcome, unless it involves changing my class, archetype, or race. I'll take into consideration stat changes, if there's good reasoning behind it. But, it'd be a hard sell, since Wisdom and Charisma have been completely useless up to this point in the game; and we have two Warlocks if Charisma is needed, and a Druid if Wisdom is required.

Edit: I don't have a +1 book picked out. So, if there's something, somewhere that I don't know about, please feel free to point it out. The only book that I own in 5e is the PHB.

clash
2017-12-14, 12:05 PM
You cant go wrong with bumping your int up to 18.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-14, 12:18 PM

I second this.

BobZan
2017-12-14, 12:22 PM
Agreed, set Lucky as your Vhuman feat, switch Spell Sniper for ASI and bump INT to 18.

The_Jette
2017-12-14, 12:37 PM

I second this.

Agreed, set Lucky as your Vhuman feat, switch Spell Sniper for ASI and bump INT to 18.

This is an excellent idea, and I'm strongly considering it. If nobody else has any thoughts, this is probably what I'll go with. I have a week to decide, though.

Theodoxus
2017-12-14, 03:50 PM
I hope your party doesn't consist of just the four characters you mentioned... you didn't express what spells you have - with two warlocks, your own need to blast is pretty low. Spell Sniper is definitely the low hanging fruit here to pick off.

Provided you have the basic control spells down, and whatever rituals needed that the warlocks don't have covered (not knowing if they're tome or not...) Int is never a bad idea - just for the extra spell prepared alone, if nothing else. But outside of plucking dudes with firebolts or rays of frost, or the potential for save DCs on save or sucks, it's not going to do a whole lot...

Again, if your party is the four casters, I hope your druid is acting tank... else, I would suggest perhaps grabbing a level in fighter (or if you rework your stats a smidge, cleric) for heavy armor. But with only a modicum of information it's difficult to suggest changes sans clairvoyance.

The_Jette
2017-12-14, 03:56 PM
I hope your party doesn't consist of just the four characters you mentioned... you didn't express what spells you have - with two warlocks, your own need to blast is pretty low. Spell Sniper is definitely the low hanging fruit here to pick off.

Provided you have the basic control spells down, and whatever rituals needed that the warlocks don't have covered (not knowing if they're tome or not...) Int is never a bad idea - just for the extra spell prepared alone, if nothing else. But outside of plucking dudes with firebolts or rays of frost, or the potential for save DCs on save or sucks, it's not going to do a whole lot...

Again, if your party is the four casters, I hope your druid is acting tank... else, I would suggest perhaps grabbing a level in fighter (or if you rework your stats a smidge, cleric) for heavy armor. But with only a modicum of information it's difficult to suggest changes sans clairvoyance.

I started off with a completely different group, where I was the lone arcane caster. It was my Wizard, two rogues, a fighter, and a druid. I'm the only one left of that group, player wise. So, the party make up now is my wizard, a (different) rogue, two warlocks, a barbarian, a druid, and a paladin. We have room for one more before the table is full, but this is the current make up. So, before it made sense to have a nuke, since we didn't have a lot of high damage potential. Now we have two warlocks, both played by optimizers, and a Paladin who is being taught how to use her abilities to the maximum potential slowly. I already have a bunch of ritual spells that I use all the time to the benefit of the team. I think the bonus to Intelligence is probably the best idea right now.